Natasha Farrant - The Children of Castle Rock

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Natasha Farrant - The Children of Castle Rock

Post by Boatbuilder »

Yes, I know Wrightington. Enid and I used to go to a pub there, I can't remember it's name now but having just looked on Google I see it's now an Italian restaurant, a short distance from Wrightington Hospital on the road that goes over the hill to Parbold. Enid and I were married in Newburgh church and in the personal photos topic three years ago on our 50th anniversary (May 2019) is a link to a webpage I created with our wedding pictures taken there. Enid used to talk quite a bit about Haigh Hall, as she lived in Wigan before moving to Parbold when she was about eight.

Apologies for being off-topic.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

On Saturday, my wife, Jane, took our granddaughter and her friend into Kingston for a shopping trip. I can assure you, not my ideal Saturday morning event! It was mainly girly shops, such as Claire's. Her friend wanted to buy a couple of books in Waterstone's, so I took her in (both shops were in the Bentall Centre). I noticed they had both Natasha Farrant books, and I pointed them out to her, saying that although Castle Rock was good, Sparrowhawk was one of the best books I have ever read. Nevertheless, she had two books on her list and bought those. One of them (I can't remember the author/title) dealt with LBQT+ children and issues concerning their sexuality. As an eleven-year-old, she seemed pretty clued up and a perfectly normal storyline - which in today's world, obviously it. It just took me back to my reading at that age. I was more interested in flashing lights and secret tunnels! How children have grown up since the 50s.
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

It seems children are growing up much too fast these days, Nigel and not having a childhood as we knew it.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've been to Parbold too, though only for a day trip back in the 1980s!

Maybe your granddaughter's friend will remember Natasha Farrant next time she goes to buy a new book, Nigel. The covers of The Children of Castle Rock and Voyage of the Sparrowhawk are striking and would certainly have caught my eye if they'd been around when I was a child. Having said that, if I'd already set my heart upon a couple of Enid Blytons I doubt I'd have gone for anything else - though I might well have borne the Natasha Farrant titles in mind for a future book-buying spree!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've just finished reading Natasha Farrant's The Rescue of Ravenwood, which is a beautiful story of nature, friendship, home and family. It features the kind of treehouse I'd love to have had as a child. Another inspiring book from an author who has become one of my favourites.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member