The Twyford Code by Janice Hallett

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

The Twyford Code by Janice Hallett

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I was just reading about a new book, The Twyford Code by Janice Hallett, which features a children's writer called Edith Twyford. I spotted it in the window of Waterstones the other day but I didn't have time to go in. Apparently, Edith Twyford is based on Enid Blyton and one of her books is Six on Goldtop Hill, revolving around a group of children known as the Super Six. From the review it sounds as though the portrayal of Edith Twyford is influenced by stereotypical views of Enid Blyton, though whether those views are ever questioned is unclear:

Around 40 years ago, Steven found a copy of Six on Goldtop Hill by Edith Twyford on a London bus and, hoping to be able to sell it for money to buy a chippie tea, took it to school with him. Not exactly a natural scholar, the only class that Steven quite liked was remedial English, which was taught by the unusually charismatic Miss Isles – or ‘missiles’ as the transcription software maintains. According to Miss Isles, Twyford’s books had been banned due to being “nasty, sadistic, moral little tales full of pompous superiority at best and blatant racism at worst”. As Steven was unable to read the book himself, he had to take Miss Isles’ word for it when she claimed there was a note inside saying “Deliver to Alice Isles” and confiscated it.

Nevertheless, due to the interest that Steven and the other four students in her remedial English class showed in studying a banned book, Miss Isles dedicated some lesson time to reading passages from Six on Goldtop Hill, and here Hallett delivers some delightfully funny pastiches of the most sexist aspects of Enid Blyton’s oeuvre. It turned out that Miss Isles was actually quite the expert on Twyford, particularly the conspiracy theory that alleged the writer had used her books to send secret coded messages to the enemy during World War II.

https://crimefictionlover.com/2022/01/t ... e-hallett/
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Re: The Twyford Code by Janice Hallett

Post by Katharine »

Interesting to see it described as a Modern Agatha Christie.

Shows how good both she and Enid Blyton are, to be mentioned in a modern book.
Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

I'll pass. It looks like a smear job. Not happy with the usual out of context accusations of sexism, Blyton is now a nazi collaborator?
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I thought it referred to the Loddon Hall keycode.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I have this book.
It is written in rather an unusual style.
Here is a short kindle sample turned into pdf to see if it appeals to you:

The Twyford Code - Janice Hallett-SHORT SAMPLE pages-1,3,5-34.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/iipoiM1/the-tw ... 135-34-pdf
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Pete!
It is written in a rather unusual style but the few pages I read held my attention so I might consider reading the whole thing.
Society Member