Andy Griffiths Treehouse series

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Ice_Gemz
Favourite book/series: The Folk of The Faraway Tree

Andy Griffiths Treehouse series

Post by Ice_Gemz »

Hi all, I've just stumbled across the Treehouse series by Andy Griffiths and illustrated by Terry Denton. One of the books caught my eye because the cover reminded me of the Faraway Tree.
The Treehouse series starts with the 13 Storey Treehouse, and subsequent books go up in increments of 13, so the 26 Storey Treehouse, 39 Storey, etc.

Having had a quick look online Andy Griffiths credits Enid Blyton's Wishing Chair as one of the book series he read as a child, so I wonder if he also read the Faraway Tree.

The Treehouse series has a character called Silky (a cat-nary; a cat mixed with a canary) like the Faraway Tree, but the author says the character was named after his cat, so may be coincidental rather than inspiration in his books.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Andy Griffiths Treehouse series

Post by Courtenay »

Had to look up Andy Griffiths, as I knew I knew the name from somewhere and couldn't remember... he's an Australian author, of course. However, he took off when I was a bit over the target age of his books... I'd already finished school by the time he started out with The Day My Bum Went Psycho, followed by Zombie Bums from Uranus and Bumageddon: The Final Pongflict, so I never actually read any of them. :P :wink: Terry Denton, though, is a VERY well-known Australian author / illustrator who was very much around when I was in primary school and I remember many of his books from the 1980s onwards. I hadn't heard of the Treehouse series, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of Enid Blyton influence in there somewhere! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Andy Griffiths Treehouse series

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've shelved these books dozens of times at work but I've never actually looked at the content. I just assumed they were collections of stories, am I totally wrong?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member