Constance Savery - Enemy Brothers

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
db105

Constance Savery - Enemy Brothers

Post by db105 »

This book tells the story of 12-year-old Max Eckermann, a German boy who is unwillingly taken to Britain in the middle of WWII, during the escape of a group of Norgewian resistance fighters. Max is a member of the Jungvolk and believes firmly in his country's propaganda, to the extent that his captors have mockingly nicknamed him Little Hitler.

The novel begins when he arrives in England, while the authorities are trying to figure out what to do with the young prisoner (sending him back in the middle of the war is not practical because the UK maintains no diplomatic ties with Germany and any ship runs the risk of being torpedoed). Before he can be placed with a German family until the end of the war, a young British airman, Dym Ingleford, sees him and is convinced that Max is actually his brother Anthony, who was kidnapped years before. He presents enough evidence to convince the British authorities to place Max with his family. This is a family, however, that Max neither remembers nor acknowledges as his own. Despite his hostility, the Inglefords, starting with Dym, hope that with patience and understanding they will be able to recover the boy that they consider their lost relative.

The book was published in 1943, when the outcome of the war was still unknown. It gives an interesting depiction of what life in Britain was like during the Blitz. It's well-written, with a lot of sensitivity and empathy for Max's emotional turmoil, caught between two very different families and two countries at war. It is a book that I read in one sitting because I needed to find out what would happen, and a book that caused an emotional response in me with its depiction of brotherly love, initially one-sided.

I would recommend it both to children and to adult readers. Frankly, I'm surprised it's not better-known. It deserves to be a classic.
Last edited by db105 on 08 Aug 2021, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Constance Savery - Enemy Brothers

Post by Lucky Star »

Sounds really interesting db105. I would like to read it. I'll have a look online for a copy.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

I hope you enjoy it!
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I hadn't heard of Enemy Brothers before but it sounds very interesting indeed, especially as it was written in 1943 when the outcome of the war was not yet known.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Gosh, that sounds absolutely fascinating — I think I'd like to read that book as well! Thanks for letting us know about it, db105.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

That does sound an interesting book db105. I've just had a look on Amazon UK and for a paperack (used) they are asking from around £19. On ebay you're talking similar prices, all shipping from the USA with postage on top.

However, it is available as an Audible audio book (7-hrs 56-mins) on Amazon for £13.82, or £7.99 to members (or 1-credit) so I might buy that when I get my next credit in a couple of weeks time.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

If any of you read it I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I found it a touching, beautiful story, with really good characters.
Boatbuilder wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 22:42 That does sound an interesting book db105. I've just had a look on Amazon UK and for a paperack (used) they are asking from around £19. On ebay you're talking similar prices, all shipping from the USA with postage on top.
I usually read in my kindle, so I bought it as ebook, for 5$, from amazon.com. For some reason it doesn't seem to be available as ebook from amazon.co.uk, although you can buy it directly from the publisher (curiously, the ebook is a bit more expensive from the publisher, 6$):
https://bethlehembooks.com/product/enemy-brothers/
Last edited by db105 on 08 Aug 2021, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
― Stephen King, The Body
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

That's interesting, db105. I've just signed into Amazon.com and when I searched for the e-book I am getting the message
"No results for Constance Savery Enemy Brothers in Kindle Store', it just brings up the paper books. :?

Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

Probably because it's not available to you, being from the UK (they have silly rules about what's available from where). This is the direct link to the kindle edition:
https://www.amazon.com/Enemy-Brothers-C ... 00873HJI8/
For me it shows the 4.95$ price. If I'm right for you it probably shows the book but says that it's not available for you to purchase.

You could buy the ebook from the publisher, though:
https://bethlehembooks.com/product/enemy-brothers/
― Stephen King, The Body
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

I naturally assumed you were in the UK, db105 as there is no location in your profile. I decided to buy the Audible copy which is the same price as my usual monthly credits so will be able to start listening when I've finished my current read (or should that be 'listen' ? :D )

Thanks anyway for the info.

edit: I just looked at your Bethlehem link and it doesn't look like they sell the e-book to the UK as there is no option to change the region from the US after you go to check-out.

I also found this which, although it refers to print books, doesn't look likely they sell to the UK either - print or otherwise.
https://bethlehembooks.com/international-orders/

Society Member