Astrid Lindgren

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Astrid Lindgren

Post by Wolfgang »

It's interesting to see that although she was mentioned many times, there's no topic dedicated to her and her books (or I missed it).

Why I start this thread in the first place, the French-German station airs a ballett version of "Pippi Longstocking" tonight, but it's already available on the mediathek.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Astrid Lindgren

Post by Chrissie777 »

The only Lindgren books that I really enjoyed were "Saltkrokan" and especially her "Kalle Blomquist" books which are rather blytonesque.
"Pippi Longstocking" was too surreal for me.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I borrowed the Pippi Longstocking books from the library as a child. They were fun to read but I didn't go on to buy them. It used to fascinate me that Pippi's plaits stuck out sideways instead of hanging down.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Wolfgang wrote:It's interesting to see that although she was mentioned many times, there's no topic dedicated to her and her books (or I missed it).
Which Lindgren books did you like when you were a child?
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:It used to fascinate me that Pippi's plaits stuck out sideways instead of hanging down.
She could lift up a horse. :wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

True, but I was more intrigued by her plaits! I liked the monkey too.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Wolfgang wrote:It's interesting to see that although she was mentioned many times, there's no topic dedicated to her and her books (or I missed it).
Which Lindgren books did you like when you were a child?
Actually I didn't read that much. I loved the "Pippi Longstocking" films, but I was disappointed by the books. I think I liked the "Saltkrokan" (Seacrow Island) films as well, but never read the books. I don't think I liked the Emil of Lönneberga films, so I didn't read the books. I read and watched "Ronia, the Robber's Daughter", but I wasn't too impressed by "Karlsson on the roof". I think I both read and watched "The Brothers Lionheart". I wasn't too impressed watching "The Six Bullerby Children"; I think I watched them occasionally. I can't remeber ever watching "Kalle Blomkvist".
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Wolfgang wrote:I can't remember ever watching "Kalle Blomkvist".
Wolfgang, the 3 old Swedish movies from 1947, 1953 and 1957 were aired on ZDF almost every year in the 1980's and 1990's. Fortunately I recorded them and later transfered them to DVD, because only the 2nd and 3rd film are now available on commercial German DVD's.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B079BF87FW/ref ... -7-catcorr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately they didn't release the first (and best) one from 1947. :cry:

https://www.fernsehserien.de/meisterdet ... -blomquist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.fernsehserien.de/filme/kall ... efaehrlich" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.fernsehserien.de/filme/kall ... rster-fall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Two or three years ago my friend from Duesseldorf sent me the war time journals of Astrid Lindgren and I was very impressed with them:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/3550081219/ref ... oks&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I didn't know: even though Sweden stayed neutral during WW II, the German army crossed their country via rail in order to get to the northern Scandinavian countries.
So once I had finished Lindgren's war time journal, I wanted to read autobiographies about Astrid Lindgren and there are 4 or 5 different ones.
I didn't care for the one written by Margareta Stroemstedt, but really enjoyed reading the two others written by Jens Andersen and Birgit Dankert. They also mentioned the movies based on her books.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
ShenValleyLewis

Post by ShenValleyLewis »

I've been using Lindgren as bedtime reading for my (now 9 y.o.) daughter. We both enjoyed all the Pippi Longstocking books a good deal, as well as Ronja the Robber's Daughter. Rasmus and the Vagabond was enjoyable, but not on the same level, and the ending was rather strange and disappointing.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

When your daughter will be one or two years older, I can highly recommend to read the Bill Bergson trilogy of books (Kalle Blomquist he's actually called in the original Swedish books and in the German translation).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrid_Lindgren" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Saltkrokan" is another lovely children's book and was filmed as a Swedish TV series.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
ShenValleyLewis

Post by ShenValleyLewis »

Chrissie777 wrote:When your daughter will be one or two years older, I can highly recommend to read the Bill Bergson trilogy of books.
Thank you! Unfortunately, it seems these have not been reissued in some time - old copies are fairly expensive. I've added the first book to my list of children's books to watch for, however.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

ShenValleyLewis wrote:I've been using Lindgren as bedtime reading for my (now 9 y.o.) daughter. We both enjoyed all the Pippi Longstocking books a good deal, as well as Ronja the Robber's Daughter. Rasmus and the Vagabond was enjoyable, but not on the same level, and the ending was rather strange and disappointing.
I remember growing up reading and watching the Pippi Longstocking books! Such fond memories of those! :D
It's so beautiful to know both your daughter and I enjoy Lindgren's stories!
I remember studying her for my Swedish literature class (although I had to concentrate on Tove Jansson - the writer of the Moomin series) and it was incredible delving deep into her story and the analysis of Pippi Longstocking :wink:
If I ever had children one day, after Enid Blyton, Lindgren would definitely be the writer whose books wouldn't be missing from my shelf. :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

ShenValleyLewis wrote:
Chrissie777 wrote:When your daughter will be one or two years older, I can highly recommend to read the Bill Bergson trilogy of books.
Thank you! Unfortunately, it seems these have not been reissued in some time - old copies are fairly expensive. I've added the first book to my list of children's books to watch for, however.
Maybe you'll find them in a second-hand bookstore one day. They are rather blytonesque.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I was introduced to Pippi Longstocking by a teacher reading it to the class. I then borrowed it from the school library and was eventually given a Puffin paperback copy of my own. I didn't get the sequels, Pippi Goes Abroad and Pippi in the South Seas, until I was an adult. However, I think I may have borrowed them from the school library as a child.

One of the stand-out memories for me was Pippi's word for maths: "pluttification". (At least, that's how the translator rendered whatever the Swedish version of this word was.) I loved that word and still do. I also thought it was pretty cool (if a bit unrealistic) how she was able to live on her own as a child. Her friendship with Tommy and Annika was rather sweet. She brought out a more adventurous side in them, but they in turn maybe helped her be a bit better grounded.

I have only ever read the Pippi books by Astrid Lindgren. I haven't read any of her other works, although I think I have seen the odd other book by her available in bookshops.

Incidentally, a fascinating fact I learned about Lindgren a few years ago (courtesy of Journal 68 - might have been in an article by Wolfgang, actually!) is that she brought Enid Blyton to Sweden, and two of her sisters were involved in translating many of Blyton's books into Swedish. So that's a pretty cool connection that she has with Enid.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero