Teenagers nowadays and classic books.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
KEVP

Re: Teenagers nowadays and classic books.

Post by KEVP »

Most Americans will have never heard of Enid Blyton. I am not surprised that Madonna--an American who is the granddaughter of Italian immigrants and who grew up in the suburbs of Detroit--would never have heard of Enid Blyton.
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

*I accidentally edited the post here and deleted everything I'd written. The point was just that I would like to know which classics to start with, as I'm a teen who doesn't really like classics.*
Last edited by Darrell71 on 03 Jun 2018, 10:04, edited 2 times in total.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Darrell71 wrote: As for the original topic of this thread, well, I'm one of those teenagers who doesn't really like classics. That being said, my opinion is entirely based on a labored read of the first few pages of Wuthering Heights...
Don't worry, you haven't missed much. :twisted: :wink:
Darrell71 wrote:As Anita said, I think the old fashioned language is what puts me off, but perhaps I should give it another try. If anyone has any suggestions to start with, I shall try to find a copy. :D
I'd suggest Jane Austen, but that's just me — she's one of my favourite authors of all time, but there aren't that many of the other "classics" I've read and enjoyed (or can really be bothered with) either. If you're interested, I think her best two are easily Pride and Prejudice or Persuasion. The language is difficult to begin with — I remember when I first read P&P at the age of 13 I was having to go over each paragraph twice just to be sure what it was saying — but she has such a distinctive and subtly witty style that you soon get caught up in it, or so I've always found. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I was completely put off the classics by having to study them at school. It rather kills a story to have to analyse it chapter by chapter! I wasn't interested in what the author was "trying to say" - but wasn't allowed to go on and find out for myself. There was no incentive to continue reading beyond the place we had got to as a class. I was happy feasting on Enid Blyton and other contemporary authors like Malcolm Saville, Arthur Ransome, Monica Edwards and the like. I have read one or two since then, but don't thirst for more!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Darrell71 wrote: I think the old fashioned language is what puts me off, but perhaps I should give it another try. If anyone has any suggestions to start with, I shall try to find a copy. :D
I recommend you start the way I did - with 'Rebecca' by Daphne DuMaurier. Its not a 'classic' I don't think - or rather its more of a 'modern classic' as it came out in the 1930's - but it is fairly easy to read and the idea of the book (DuMaurier admitted) came from her love of Jane Eyre - so like me you could then go onto read Jane Eyre which is a 'classic' and deservedly so! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Jane Eyre is one of the few I have read!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Daisy wrote:Jane Eyre is one of the few I have read!
Me too!

I read Tom Sawyer, etc but not even many children's classics/ I read Jane Eyre twice, and also read a couple of others but nowhere near as many classics as most people on here. :-D

I've read more 'modern classics' - Rebecca, and Gone With The Wind, the Grapes of Wrath, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the Lord of the Flies, Show Boat, Random Harvest, etc etc. Mainly because I wanted to read books I'd seen films of!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I feel like I am the only one who believes classics are just the books. Basically the best kind of literature that can ever exist. My mum was like me when she was small, she read classics always and so did my grandfather.
(That is how I inherited my love of reading). And I really give thanks that this was the case, that from an early age I was introduced to the wonderful and welcoming world of classics. (Honestly like classics, you are never going to find) :D
Darrell71 wrote:

As for the original topic of this thread, well, I'm one of those teenagers who doesn't really like classics. That being said, my opinion is entirely based on a labored read of the first few pages of Wuthering Heights.
You can't imagine how much you are missing to be honest.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Darrell71 wrote: I think the old fashioned language is what puts me off, but perhaps I should give it another try. If anyone has any suggestions to start with, I shall try to find a copy. :D
I recommend you start the way I did - with 'Rebecca' by Daphne DuMaurier. Its not a 'classic' I don't think - or rather its more of a 'modern classic' as it came out in the 1930's - but it is fairly easy to read and the idea of the book (DuMaurier admitted) came from her love of Jane Eyre - so like me you could then go onto read Jane Eyre which is a 'classic' and deservedly so! :-D
I would definitely classify Daphne DuMaurier as a classic. I have read "My cousin Rachel" (such a brilliant book) and I would say it's a classic.... after all modern classics are still 'classics' right? :wink:
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

If you like Romance stories then go ahead with Jane Austen..
But if you are more to do with adventure, mystery and action, ( like me) I would definitely recommend Alexandre Dumas (he is a genius, perfection personified, beauty in itself, excellence, a master of literature) , Emilio Salgari, Robert Louis Stevenson.
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I haven't read anything from the list in the first post! I've read plenty of children's classics and I've read the odd adult classic like The Great Gatsby (didn't like it very much). I read what I like, I don't read things just because other people like them.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm the same...but most of the 'classics' I have read were forced upon me at college! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Machupicchu14 wrote:I feel like I am the only one who believes classics are just the books. Basically the best kind of literature that can ever exist.
I love reading classics too, María Esther. Authors of books which have become classics revel in language and their thoughtful, delightful phrasing and vocabulary make as much impression as their plots and characters. Their stories tend to be multi-layered, with recurring and ever-developing themes, and I love the richness of the ideas and associations. I also like the fact that many classics open a window onto the past. As we become involved with the characters, we learn about the living conditions and attitudes of the time.
Darrell71 wrote:I'm one of those teenagers who doesn't really like classics. That being said, my opinion is entirely based on a labored read of the first few pages of Wuthering Heights, and similar labored reads of the first few pages of some other Classics. As Anita said, I think the old fashioned language is what puts me off, but perhaps I should give it another try. If anyone has any suggestions to start with, I shall try to find a copy. :D

I'd recommend starting with novels which have a strong storyline (some classic authors focus on characters and themes rather than on events, but I think having a gripping plot makes readers more eager to persevere with the old-fashioned language). Some suggestions:

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (already recommended by Rob)

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Machupicchu14 wrote:I feel like I am the only one who believes classics are just the books. Basically the best kind of literature that can ever exist.
I love reading classics too, María Esther. Authors of books which have become classics revel in language and their thoughtful, delightful phrasing and vocabulary make as much impression as their plots and characters. Their stories tend to be multi-layered, with recurring and ever-developing themes, and I love the richness of the ideas and associations. I also like the fact that many classics open a window onto the past. As we become involved with the characters, we learn about the living conditions and attitudes of the time.
This description is so beautiful and true! And yes, you have expressed the meaning of classics so well! And I'm so glad you like them Anita! :D
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

I like the suggestions that others have made.

I wonder whether if a modern teenager is having trouble approaching classics because of the old-fashioned language, would it be maybe a good idea to start by reading children's classics, and then gradually move into "adult" classics?