Building my collection with more children's authors....Help!

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
auscatherine

Re: Building my collection with more children's authors....Help!

Post by auscatherine »

I love Harriet the Spy. Was actually thinking about it today funnily enough!
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Post by hope189 »

auscatherine wrote:I love Harriet the Spy. Was actually thinking about it today funnily enough!
Harriet the spy is my most favorite book(Yes, that includes Blyton's books :!:). I can relate with the character so much which is something I've never been able to do with Blyton's books. Sadly, many of my friends at school find the book boring and monotonous. :(
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Have you read any of Louise Fitzhugh's other books, Hope? eg, there is about Sport (called Sport) and one called Nobody's Family is going to Change. The latter seems like it would be pretty interesting.

Also have you seen the movie version of Harriet the Spy? We have it on dvd and my kids love it. It just doesn't have the magic of the book as far as I am concerned though. I read it numerous times as a child but have never re-visited it as an adult. Maybe I should.
hope189

Post by hope189 »

auscatherine wrote:Have you read any of Louise Fitzhugh's other books, Hope? eg, there is about Sport (called Sport) and one called Nobody's Family is going to Change. The latter seems like it would be pretty interesting.

Also have you seen the movie version of Harriet the Spy? We have it on dvd and my kids love it. It just doesn't have the magic of the book as far as I am concerned though. I read it numerous times as a child but have never re-visited it as an adult. Maybe I should.
I've tried finding the books but haven't succeeded till now. As for the movie, it was aired on HBO last weekend. I was waiting for it very eagerly, but I found out that we don't get HBO on our TV! :x
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

I have seen the books on US Amazon but not sure about the UK. The movie is available quite cheaply on dvd here in Australia. I don't think it was a huge box office hit.
hope189

Post by hope189 »

auscatherine wrote:I have seen the books on US Amazon but not sure about the UK. The movie is available quite cheaply on dvd here in Australia.
I don't think I will be able to buy them because the cost of these books and the cost of shipping when converted to Indian money add up to a considerably big amount. :( :cry: :cry: Thanks for suggesting it. :)
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Sorry, forgot you were in INdia, Hope. We have the same problem in Australia, ie, only a small selection of English language published books make it to our shores and now that the Australian dollar is low, it is too expensive to import them usually. There is a good new website my brother told me about though called booko where you can compare prices for all these local and overseas sellers including postage. Not sure if it is only for Australian buyers though.
dolly
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clares
Favourite character: Carlotta, Alicia

Post by dolly »

I remember "Patricia M. St. John" - her books are mostly published by Scripture Union. I bought some English versions in order to improve my English - and fortunately I could easily read it. When I was eight years old I was very fond of "Tanglewood´s secret". It was such a charming book! Later I watched the movie and was very disappointed. She also wrote "Treasure of the snow" and "Rainbow garden" which reminds me a little bit of "Secret garden". Do you know her? I just know that she was an prolific English writer and was working as a nurse and social worker.