The most touching book you have read till date.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: The most touching book you have read till date.

Post by Courtenay »

Ah, you never know what they might have got up to, Katharine... :wink:

More seriously, I can think of possible reasons why a couple in the past might go for a number of years before having children - if the husband was a sailor or in the armed forces, for example, and spent a long time away. My paternal grandparents married in August 1940, but didn't have their first child until May 1946, because Grandpa was away at the war in the interim.

I would love to get stuck into some family history research myself, but what mainly puts me off is that - as you've just demonstrated - it can be very, very time-consuming!! :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

For those who have yet to subscribe, my review can be read here.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

This is getting even further off topic, but I must say I'm very reluctant to read reviews in the Cave for any of Enid's books I haven't already read... while invariably well written, they're often so long and detailed that they give away heaps of plot spoilers. :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Courtenay, yes, there may well have been a reason for a 9 year wait for children, possible there may have been earlier children who died before the 1941 census. As my great, great grandfather was a carpenter, I don't expect he would have been away for any length of time, but of course it's possible. My history of 150 years ago isn't very good. I do seem to remember hearing that the working classes tended to marry after the birth of a child, or at least while the woman was pregnant, as they wanted to make sure they could have children. Although that may have been more common among farmer communities, in order to make sure there was a younger generation to carry on the family business.

Back on topic, I know what you mean about not wanting to read a review about a book if you haven't read it. I thought Nigel's review was very good, as although it does give a good description of the book, he doesn't give away the ending. Might be best to read the book first though.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Courtenay wrote:This is getting even further off topic, but I must say I'm very reluctant to read reviews in the Cave for any of Enid's books I haven't already read... while invariably well written, they're often so long and detailed that they give away heaps of plot spoilers. :P
I never give away plotlines, and am really annoyed when people do. Thanks, Katharine, for your kind words. I agree with you, it is always best to read the book first as the outline of the story is bound to be revealed.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I feel I have to add the book I read the other day to this list. War Girls, a collection of short stories by several popular young adult writers including Anne Fine. Each story is about the experiences of one girl or young woman during the first world war and despite being for young adults it doesn't shy away from the tragedies and horror of war. In was certainly moved to tears at quite a few points.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Courtenay wrote:I've just thought of another one: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. It's an American children's classic - doesn't seem to be as well known in Britain, although it's been made into a film twice (one animated, one live action). I was deeply saddened at what happens before the end when I first read it as a child, though the last chapter is still beautiful and uplifting. I still can't read the end of the penultimate chapter without tears.
I think it's fairly well-known here. It always moved me to tears as a child.
Katharine wrote:I've just finished reading a lovely review by Nigel, in Journal 30 and it reminded me of one of the most touching books I can think of. It's Enid Blyton's Hollow Tree House. The last bit of that has actually made me cry, one of my favourite books, and a very good review Nigel. Just 8 years late in congratulating you on it!
I've read that once, just a couple of years ago and was also in tears at the ending!

A certain event in Good Wives always makes me cry too!
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Good to know Charlotte's Web is quite popular here as well. I've mentioned it to a few Brits and just got blank looks in response, which is why I wasn't sure! :lol:
Society Member

Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

I think I read Charlotte's Web quite young, and remember being fascinated by the differences between depictions of English farms in other books that I knew, and the Zuckermann's farm and surrounding area. I was young enough for it to feel quite foreign and exotic to me, simply because of the language difference, money difference and other un-English things. I encountered 'sneakers' and 'salutations' and 'runt of the litter' (in its proper context) for the first time. I've always had a huge soft spot for Wilbur. He's a very loveable character, and I'm so glad that he had a friend of such intelligence and integrity as Charlotte was to look after him!!

I also attribute Charlotte's Web with helping to build my love of nature and all living creatures. It's the sort of book which encourages you to look at creatures in detail.

Most of my school friends had read, or at least heard of Charlotte's Web and it's usually sold in children's sections of bookshops along with other classics. I'm not sure how popular it is, though.
Fiona1986 wrote:I feel I have to add the book I read the other day to this list. War Girls, a collection of short stories by several popular young adult writers including Anne Fine. Each story is about the experiences of one girl or young woman during the first world war and despite being for young adults it doesn't shy away from the tragedies and horror of war. In was certainly moved to tears at quite a few points.
That sounds well worth a read. Are they real stories, do you know?
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

Goodnight Mr Tom is a very touching book, especially the part when the 'mental institute' try to take WIlliam away from Tom.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Spitfire wrote:That sounds well worth a read. Are they real stories, do you know?
They're fictional, though a few of them say they are based loosely around some real events.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Deej wrote:Goodnight Mr Tom is a very touching book, especially the part when the 'mental institute' try to take WIlliam away from Tom.
I haven't read the book, so don't know what happens in, but the above comment reminded me of part of the Who Do You Think You Are? I watched last week. Some of Brian Blessed's relations had been admitted to a Poorhouse. One of them was aged 14. Underneath her entry were the words 'an idiot'. It really made me gasp when they read that out. Sometimes I hate the modern world and it's up to date terminology, and long for 'the good old days'. However, whenever I come across expressions like that, I'm happy that some words are no longer acceptable. As someone on the program said, nowadays she'd probably have been classed as having learning difficulties, and hopefully in today's society she'd be given help to reach her full potential. Somehow I doubt she'd have been shown any compassion or understanding a century or two ago.
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

I was quite relieved that my research into my family tree didn't reveal any workhouse admissions; for their sakes. Your post reminded me about my Grandfather's brother Walter (an infamous black sheep of the family). He used to cycle up to Hull City and County Asylum for admission during the winter and then (who knows how) would get discharged in the spring to find himself a job.

Anyway, thinking of touching books, I'd include LM Montgomery's 'Anne of Green Gables.' Most of the sequels are too schmaltzy by far (characters like Lavender Lewis and Paul Irving are enough to turn a grown man's stomach) but the first two books are excellent. The scene where Anne assumes she is going to be returned to the orphanage and Matthew isn't happy about it is particularly touching. As is the scene where Marilla wrongly assumes Anne has lost her broach.

Apparently the 'Anne' books are massive in Japan where they have been on the school curriculum. Large numbers of Japanese tourists visit Prince Edward Island every year. I must admit that it is a place I'd like to visit.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I must say I didn't think of the Anne books but you're right Bertram - except I do like all the books and especially touching are some scenes in the final one - Rilla of Ingleside where the family is involved in the First World War and Walter loses his life.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I hadn't realised that the word idiot had become unacceptable. It is a word I often use about people - much in the same way as you would say twit. What would you now call a stupid person? Or is stupid now unacceptable. There won't be much left to call people soon if the PC brigade has its way.
Society Member