Beatrix Potter

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Re: Beatrix Potter

Post by RDMorrell »

I got my first Beatrix Potter books for my third birthday (think they were The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin and The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck). I have subsequently acquired a full set of the 23 "Peter Rabbit" books, all Frederick Warne hardbacks with dustjackets. Some of them are a bit tatty now though. But they are still in print I think and quite readily available.

I have fond memories of listening to a record with Wendy Craig reading some of the Beatrix Potter stories. Like others here, I enjoyed the quite sophisticated vocabulary, including "affronted" (as a couple of others have mentioned) and also "impertinent" (a description applied to Squirrel Nutkin).

Apart from the Peter Rabbit books, I also have a hardback edition of The Tale of the Faithful Dove (bought on Trade Me here in NZ a year or two ago) and paperback editions of Wag-By-Wall and Country Tales. Plus a few other bits and pieces including a couple of different stuffed Jemima Puddle-Duck toys. And over the years I have quite often had a Peter Rabbit calendar.

Of course, Beatrix Potter illustrated all her books, and as excellent a writer as she was, she was arguable an even better artist!
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Kate Mary wrote:I stayed in a B&B in Dorset a few years ago and to my delight there was a bookcase full of old children's books in my room, some of the books were very old; I was in my element. There was a battered copy of "The Famous Jimmy" by Enid Blyton which I read from cover to cover twice during my stay .
Kate, In the course of doing research for my book, I had wanted to get a hold of that copy, The Famous Jimmy whose title I had solicited from Barbara Stoney's biography in her last edition on Enid Blyton. My efforts were unsuccessful. As you suggest, it must have been a very invaluable (very valuable) book as it's rarity speaks volumes about itself. I had wanted to establish whether the title and or contents in it may have contributed to the creation of The Famous Five series i.e. The Famous Jimmy, The Famous Five. Since I never got or come across a copy of The Famous Jimmy, unfortunately, I was unable establish what The Famous Jimmy was all about.
Stephen I.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

You're barking up the wrong tree here, Stephen. There's no connection between The Famous Five and The Famous Jimmy apart from having the same author and the word famous in the title.

The story is about a duckling and his animal friends having adventures in the farmyard, I can't remember the details now.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I have the film Miss Potter on DVD, starring Rene Zellweger as Beatrix, but I haven't yet watched it.
I finally watched Miss Potter about a year ago and found it beautiful and moving. Were Beatrix Potter's parents really such terrible snobs? Apparently, any man who worked for a living was considered to be unworthy of their daughter, even a publisher or a solicitor, despite the fact that Beatrix's father was himself a lawyer. Beatrix clearly had a quiet determination and an unshakeable confidence in her talent as an artist, even though it was hard for a woman to make her mark in the world and get people to take her seriously in the late nineteenth-early twentieth centuries.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, I loved that film when I watched it a few years ago too - beautifully done (especially Beatrix's drawings coming to life on the pages!), and so moving. I recall I was in tears when Norman died, even though I knew beforehand it was going to happen! :cry:

I have a beautiful one-volume edition of the complete books of Beatrix Potter at home - all her "little books" with all their original illustrations, plus several rare or previously unpublished works. I bought it for an absolute steal (no, not literally) at my favourite second hand bookshop in Egham! :D
Kate Mary wrote:I stayed in a B&B in Dorset a few years ago and to my delight there was a bookcase full of old children's books in my room, some of the books were very old; I was in my element. There was a battered copy of "The Famous Jimmy" by Enid Blyton which I read from cover to cover twice during my stay and there was also a copy of "Wag-by-Wall" by Beatrix Potter. I was utterly astounded. It was a numbered, unillustrated first edition, which was limited to 100 copies of which it was a low number, published sometime in the 1940s I think. I pointed out to the lady that this incredibly rare book was worth many hundreds of pounds and was quite relieved when she removed it from my room!
You're very charitable and self-controlled, Kate Mary. I might have been tempted to ask the owner if I could have it for a few quid, then go and flog it off for what it was really worth!! :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Kate Mary wrote:You're barking up the wrong tree here, Stephen. There's no connection between The Famous Five and The Famous Jimmy apart from having the same author and the word famous in the title.

The story is about a duckling and his animal friends having adventures in the farmyard, I can't remember the details now.
Kate, many thanks for that clarification. Anyway, since I was unsuccessful in obtaining a copy of The Famous Jimmy, obviously I never used it in my book. Let me hope to read it one day. From your cursory description of the book, it appears to be quite an interesting one.
Stephen I.
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

A lost story by Beatrix Potter has been unearthed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-ago.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A number of Beatrix Potter stories have come to light over the years, The Tale Of The Faithful Dove and The Tale of Tuppenny spring to mind but they are not regarded as part of the canon of 23 books. Interesting though.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That is interesting, Kate, though I'm disappointed that Quentin Blake has been chosen to illustrate the book.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

That was my reaction exactly when I heard the news, Anita.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

Quentin Blake wouldn't have been my choice either, but I can't say I'm surprised. The other two Beatrix Potter titles I mentioned were beautifully illustrated by Marie Angel but that was in the 1970s, it's a pity they couldn't have used an artist than was closer to the author's style.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

No, I wouldn't have chosen Quentin Blake either — at least, not for this purpose. I've always really liked his illustrations when they're for stories that his style suits, but I would have preferred someone more, well, Beatrix Potter-like for a newly-discovered Beatrix Potter story! But he himself is quoted as saying how much he liked the story and felt drawn to it — "I have a strange feeling it might have been waiting for me" — so I wouldn't condemn him for putting his own interpretation on it. I'd be very interested to see it if I can find it some time!

On a different note, that reminds me — this year is Beatrix Potter's 150th birthday and Hill Top House, her home now owned by the National Trust (which she helped to establish) is holding special celebrations throughout the year. I would LOVE to get there if I can, if only Cumbria wasn't quite so far for me to travel!!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Hill Top is well worth a visit, Courtenay. Chick and I have visited the house on two occasions and been enchanted by it and the lovely countryside that surrounds it. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

I've been checking some Beatrix Potter titles and strangely they are all out of print except for a couple that are available for Kindle. The ones I checked were:

The Tale of Tuppenny
The Tale of the Faithful Dove
Wag By Wall
The Old Sly Cat
The Fairy Caravan
Sister Anne

I find it really odd that (albeit minor) books by an internationally renowned writer are only available second hand, a copy of Sister Anne is on offer for almost £1300.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It is really just the main series that sells well, and I guess publishers don't want to invest money in something that they think will make a loss. I don't know who owns the copyright now, but it was owned by Chorion along with several other authors before they sold everything off in 2012.
Kate Mary

Post by Kate Mary »

Thanks for your reply Tony, you may be right. Another factor could be that of the six titles only two were illustrated by Beatrix Potter and of those "The Sly Old Cat" has only rough sketches and "The Fairy Caravan" was her only children's novel, a form she was less happy with perhaps. But with a such a world famous writer it is a pity that the complete ouevre is not in print.

Society Member