Philippa Pearce - Tom's Midnight Garden, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Philippa Pearce - Tom's Midnight Garden, etc.

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks for the update Eddie - I'm very tempted to buy this!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

You’re very welcome, Pete. Go on, treat yourself. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

As I usually buy mine from Amazon (I have Amazon Prime, so don't pay postage) - I'm waiting a while, hoping the price will drop...as sometimes the price goes up and down dramatically. Well, I live in hope! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Good luck with that, Rob. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

My DVD has just arrived in the post. It looks great and Chick and I will enjoy watching this classic during the next few days. :D

I have just ordered the Moondial DVD for the same price from the same company, viz. Second Sight Films.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Glad you've got the DVD, Eddie. I really enjoyed revisiting it myself when I bought the harder-to-find earlier release a few years ago. It's a beautifully done series, very faithful to the book, and I enjoy both it and the book even more now that I live in England and have visited many huge gardens and grand old houses rather like those in the story. As a young Australian, my imagination had to stretch a fair bit to visualise the scenes when I first read the book, although the TV series helped! :wink:

I love the theme music for this TV version too, I should add — the wistful, mysterious horn call at the beginning and end, with a charming "country garden" kind of theme (mainly clarinet and flute with harp, if I'm hearing it correctly) in between. I've always felt it fits the story perfectly. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I kept nearly all of my non-Blyton childhood books (mainly Ladybird books, annuals and Puffin paperbacks) as well as the Blyton ones, of course. Even though some of them have pages which are loose and/or browning, they're still cherished. Besides Enid Blyton, I collected E. Nesbit, C. S. Lewis, Noel Streatfeild, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Nina Bawden, L. M. Montgomery and Antonia Forest. I also had just one or two titles by a wide range of other authors, Philippa Pearce being one of them. Other books that I read repeatedly as a child include Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl, When Marnie Was There by Joan G. Robinson, Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer, A Candle in Her Room by Ruth M. Arthur, The Dolls' House by Rumer Godden and The Secret Garden and A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
We were enchanted to visit Manorowen Walled Garden, near Goodwick/Fishguard, yesterday. It was a hot sunny day and we had the place to ourselves. It is historic, dating back to medieval times, part of a nearby manor, and extremely other-wordly, no sound of traffic, just silence and birdsong, wonderful lush greenery and colourful flowers at their best. Naturally I'm inspired to re-read The Secret Garden!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I ordered the DVD from Second Sight Films last night and I look forward to receiving it.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Hope you enjoy watching it, Anita. I loved revisiting this version when I got it on DVD myself a couple of years ago — it was such a part of my childhood and very faithful to the book, and it was a delight to see it all again. The boy who plays Tom is a bit annoyingly whiney in some scenes, but you do at least get the impression he's genuinely struggling to comprehend how and why the garden appears every night and how Time itself works, and he's upset that his aunt and uncle are completely baffled by all his strange questions and speculations! (I didn't guess, when I first read the book, what the twist at the end would be, so it was very satisfying to find out — and I love the way the final scene is done in the TV version! :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I ordered the DVD from Second Sight Films last night and I look forward to receiving it.
That’s good to hear, Anita. Second Sight Films are very prompt with their deliveries and so the DVD should be with you very soon. My copies of both Tom’s Midnight Garden and Moondial arrived within a couple of days of my ordering them. :D

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I ordered the DVD from Amazon on Friday and it arrived yesterday. The price had gone down slightly to £13.49 - and I don't pay postage - plus I was buying a couple of other things so I decided to order Tom's Midnight Garden while I was at it! :-D

We watched two episodes tonight - very enjoyable indeed! Its really well done, period wise and the acting too, I think. Much better than the film version in my opinion.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I’m pleased to hear that you have a copy of the BBC DVD of Tom’s Midnight Garden, Rob. :D

I agree with you; it is much better than the more recent film version.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Glad you're enjoying it, Rob.
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Very much so! We saw the last two episodes today - been seeing two each night - and it was very enjoyable - one of the best BBC TV adaptations, in my view. It was also really well filmed - with the garden being seen in spring, summer and winter, and all looked very realistic. Was the snow real snow? It certainly looked real.

Very pleased to have bought this - thanks for the heads up, Eddie - and now I'm planning on buying The Phoenix and the Carpet (with Gary Russel) - which was (probably) the first BBC TV adaptation of a children's book I ever watched. I was 5 when it came out in 1976! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:Very much so! We saw the last two episodes today - been seeing two each night - and it was very enjoyable - one of the best BBC TV adaptations, in my view. It was also really well filmed - with the garden being seen in spring, summer and winter, and all looked very realistic. Was the snow real snow? It certainly looked real.
Dunno — it'd be jolly expensive for them to have to wait till there was real snow in the same location where they'd filmed the spring and summer scenes, surely, but it'd be interesting to know!

Does it say in the credits where it was filmed, by the way? I've watched it many times, but for some reason I've never picked that up! I'd love to know if it's a real garden somewhere that might be open to the public. :D
Society Member