Philippa Pearce - Tom's Midnight Garden, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Philippa Pearce - Tom's Midnight Garden, etc.

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Courtenay wrote:Thanks for the move to this thread, Anita! :D I love your post in the first page of the discussion where you described what you most love about Tom's Midnight Garden - you have a wonderful way of describing and conveying what's most special about a book.
Thanks, Courtenay. I always enjoy reading people's posts about books they love. That reminds me - I don't think you ever posted a list of your top ten children's books in the recent thread! :)

I wanted to buy a video or DVD of the 1989 Tom's Midnight Garden about five years ago, but prices were too high even back then. Luckily, I was able to borrow a friend's DVD.

I'd love to watch The Enchanted Castle again, and the 1970s The Phoenix and the Carpet. Both were childhood favourites.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:That reminds me - I don't think you ever posted a list of your top ten children's books in the recent thread! :)
That's because I haven't managed to narrow it down to ten yet!! :lol:

Interesting to read people's thoughts about the ending of Tom's Midnight Garden earlier in the thread. I don't remember being surprised by the ending, but I found it wonderfully satisfying - I too was moved, like Anita and others mentioned, by the fact that it was their loneliness that brought Tom and Hatty together, across the boundaries of time, to become friends. I was quite awed by the realisation that Hatty wasn't a ghost, nor was Tom merely a figure in her dreams (or she in his) - he really did enter into her time and her childhood life, and she, as an adult, remembers him and is likewise amazed to discover him as a "real, flesh-and-blood boy" when she meets him again in her old age. I remember fondly the way the final scene is portrayed in the 1989 version, where Tom runs back to hug her as his aunt and uncle simply stare in astonishment! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I can't really comment on the book as I have only just started it, but I know the story well and have watched all three screen adaptations. One of the things that I found puzzling which may well be explained in the book was that Tom seemed able to walk through doors in the garden as if they weren't there, and yet he had no problem in climbing a tree or sitting on top of a wall, both of which were unaccountably solid!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

If I remember correctly, Tom had great difficulty in getting through the closed door but was able to climb a tree just as anyone else might be able to. Perhaps the film version made it look easier.
This is one of the few of my 'children's' books I lent my mother. Her view was that she enjoyed the story but could see some anomalies! So can I, but nevertheless it's a charming tale and remains one of my favourites.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony wrote:One of the things that I found puzzling which may well be explained in the book was that Tom seemed able to walk through doors in the garden as if they weren't there, and yet he had no problem in climbing a tree or sitting on top of a wall, both of which were unaccountably solid!
A fact that our 4½ year-old grandson pointed out (whilst watching the video)!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Courtenay wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:That reminds me - I don't think you ever posted a list of your top ten children's books in the recent thread! :)
That's because I haven't managed to narrow it down to ten yet!! :lol:
It's certainly a challenge - but fun! I look forward to seeing your choices if you manage to narrow them down.
Courtenay wrote:I remember fondly the way the final scene is portrayed in the 1989 version, where Tom runs back to hug her as his aunt and uncle simply stare in astonishment! :D
I've seen a stage version of Tom's Midnight Garden, and that scene was so moving that I had to dig my nails into my palms to stop myself crying. In fact I've seen two performances, eight or nine years apart, but the first was the best. People dressed like masked mannequins kept repeating the refrain "Time no longer" in a cacophony of hollow voices/whispers, while moving their arms to resemble the hands on a clock face. It hit just the right note of melancholy spookiness.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

In the book, the point is made clearly that Tom finds it very, very difficult to push himself through the closed door - it's such an effort that he has to stop for a rest halfway, and hopes that no-one can see him with his head sticking through one side of the door and his body on the other! :lol: So he only does it on a handful of occasions when he has no other way of getting through. It seems that everything in the garden does feel solid and tangible to him unless he presses very hard against it.

Another example is that he's able to hold Hatty's hand when they play at chasing the fish in the aquarium, but at another time, he strikes at her wrist to prove (as he then thinks) that she's a ghost, and his hand goes through her wrist - or as Hatty argues back, her wrist goes through his hand. It is a bit anomalous, but I've always just accepted it as part of the story; there's obviously something a little magical or supernatural going on in the first place, after all, for him to be able to transcend time and enter the era of Hatty's childhood. So why shouldn't the rest of the laws of physics be a little different for him as well, while he's there? :mrgreen: (Another instance I just thought of - I'm pretty sure that when they're climbing the yew trees, he's aware that if he fell, he wouldn't be hurt in any way.)

That's how I've always seen the other anomaly that others here have mentioned, too - two people wearing the same pair of skates. Tom himself comments inwardly on the strangeness of it as it's happening, but hey, somehow it works! :D Ultimately, of course, it's a children's story, not something we're supposed to fit into the constraints of "real life" - especially when the story itself is about those constraints being mysteriously transcended.

That air of mystery is one of the most appealing things about the story, I've always felt; it's never explained exactly how Tom's "time travelling" worked, but it doesn't need an explanation. He and Hatty understand, in the end, why it happened - because they both needed a friend so much - and they simply accept it. I love the way Tom sums it up in the final chapter: "We're both real: Then and Now. It's as the angel said: Time no longer."
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Seven stories posted this on our Facebook page:
http://www.sevenstories.org.uk/news/latestnews/save-tom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder what that book has to do with Blyton? :?
Seven Stories "Likes" our page, as we "Like" their page. Therefore, all of their Facebook posts come through to our Facebook page. It is nothing to do with Tom's Midnight Garden having anything to do with Blyton, just a sharing of comments between mutual Facebook friends.

It must also be noted that Seven Stories hosted the Enid Blyton Exhibition, with considerable assistance from the Enid Blyton Society.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I can't see anything from Seven Stories on the Society page, I wonder if you've got your terminology wrong there! Do you not mean what ever they posted just came up in the Society's newsfeed?

Saying they posted it on your page implies they deliberately contacted you with it - so I'm not surprised Julie thought that a bit odd.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Do you not mean what ever they posted just came up in the Society's newsfeed?
Swatimeanttosay. I forgot that only admin can see the newsfeed, I was thinking that all of our "Likes"/followers would get notifications from our newsfeed.
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

What Are You Doing Now?

Post by floragord »

Split from another thread.
Anita Bensoussane (in another thread) wrote: I'd like to visit Ely Cathedral one day - mainly because of Tom's Midnight Garden!
Strange how mentioning an item can bring more related issues to the fore! Not only am I hugely enjoying the book!, but a news item in today's MAIL caught my eye - Kings Mill House in Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire, childhood home of Philippa Pearce is for sale, and apparently was the location that inspired the novel.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Katharine

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Katharine »

Wow, that's a house and a half. And to think that Enid Blyton was criticised for being so middle classed - makes her houses look like garden sheds!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I'm glad you're enjoying Tom's Midnight Garden, Floragord. I'd heard that a real-life location had inspired the house in the book but I'd never looked into it. I've just Googled Kings Mill House and it's great to see it. What a beautiful building and grounds, though it looks extremely modern on the inside:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 09194.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Isn't that beautiful! I tried to imagine Tom and Hatty in the garden .... I wonder if the flats which the book features were a real fear in Philippa Pearce's mind that it could happen to that lovely place.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I'm glad you're enjoying Tom's Midnight Garden, Floragord. I'd heard that a real-life location had inspired the house in the book but I'd never looked into it. I've just Googled Kings Mill House and it's great to see it. What a beautiful building and grounds, though it looks extremely modern on the inside:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 09194.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a fantastic house, Anita and a snip at just £3,450,000! :lol: The gardens are superb and I can just imagine Tom and Hatty spending some happy times in it. Wonderful!
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member