Philippa Pearce - Tom's Midnight Garden, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Philippa Pearce - Tom's Midnight Garden, etc.

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks, Courtenay and Rob. I still have one grandmother (my mum's mum), wife of my grandad whom I mentioned earlier in the thread. When I was born she became a grandmother at the age of 40, and she now has 5 great-grandchildren - the eldest being my daughter who is 22.

My dad's parents were considerably older when they became grandparents. They died only months apart when I was 24.
My grandparents were quite old when I was born. I was the second child, born when my mom was 34 and my dad 35, so that explains it! My mom's parents were 62 and 63 when I was born (my granddad was the youngest!) and my dad's parents were 80 and 65. :shock:

My Welsh granddad (Taid) was born in 1890 and didn't marry until he was 41. He married my Nana who worked as a maid, waiting on table, at their farm Broadleys. :D Apparently he used to chase her round the table until one day she decided to get caught! :lol:

I'm quite unusual for my generation that I had a granddad who fought in WWI.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Rob Houghton wrote: I'm quite unusual for my generation that I had a granddad who fought in WWI.
My maternal granddad fought in WW1 in the trenches of France. He was shot in the neck, the bullet exiting through his cheek. This wound enabled him to come home. I have a photograph of him holding me when I was just a few months old. He died when I was one.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

yes, my granddad died when I was about 14 months old. I have some cine film of him holding me, watching the farm dogs playing. :-) he died in 1972.

He was on the guns in WWI, as was his brother Edmund. Edmund died in battle and his body was never recovered. he was just 33.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Rob Houghton wrote: It struck me, also, thinking about 'Tom's Midnight Garden' how much it reminded me of Julie's book 'The Mysterious Boy' -- or rather, Julie's book reminds me of Tom's Midnight Garden! It surely must have been a subconscious inspiration! :-D
You've lost me there, Rob! I can see no similarity at all. However, as John (LS) also saw a similarity, I guess there must be... :?
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:
It struck me, also, thinking about 'Tom's Midnight Garden' how much it reminded me of Julie's book 'The Mysterious Boy' -- or rather, Julie's book reminds me of Tom's Midnight Garden! It surely must have been a subconscious inspiration! :-D
Lucky Star on a review of my book on Amazon also said that it reminded him of Tom's Midnight Garden. But when I wrote The Mysterious Boy I had heard of Tom's Midnight Garden, but had never read it. I first read it just a few years ago when Eddie bought me a copy, as I confessed it's a classic I'd never picked up. My inspiration for my book was the area I lived in and the scene I used to see and pass on my daily walk with our dog at the time, down to the forest. :)
8)
When I first saw Julie's charming little story - many years ago now, (she was kind enough to send me a copy) I must say it did not occur to me that it was very like Tom's Midnight Garden- and I have read that many many times. I have read a number of time slip stories so know they can be, by their very nature, similar. It is tempting to guess at an author's inspiration though - we do it with Enid quite often - suggesting things may have been in her 'undermind'. When you think about it, with all the books we have all read, attempting to write one must surely turn out to have snippets from many sources, with lots of ideas which we have long forgotten in their original form.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

My main reason for saying I could see similarities between Julie's story and Tom's Midnight garden was the fact its set in a 'garden' - at the old house, and a boy appears to them, similarly to the way the girl appears in Tom's Midnight Garden - and the plot involves something being left in a secret place in the past that is found in the same place in the present.

My story 'Dark Hall' also includes a similar situation - but mine was very much stolen from Tom's Midnight Garden! :lol:

Before anyone suggests I'm criticising - I'm definitely NOT! All of the books and stories I've ever written have borrowed ideas from other authors - I think we all do it, whether we know it or not! :lol: There's no such thing as a completely original plot.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I must admit I didn't see the similarities, but then I've only ever read TMG once, just a few years back and I have to confess it wasn't the best book I'd ever read. I don't even remember the story now, so it didn't have that much of an impact on me.

But as I said, I wrote my story years ago, and so any similarities to TMG are purely, coincidental.

I have to say Rob, that I don't borrow plots from other books. My plots are my own. If there is a book out there with a similar plot to any I write, then I can assure you that I haven't read them! But I do agree that there maybe only a few plots out there to use just as there are musical notes.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

my plots are my own, also, of course - but I know I'm influenced by other books I've read. Its very unusual not to be, but I take my hat off to you Julie, as you seem to have managed to stay 100% original, which is a real gift in itself. :-)

I guess we all work in different ways, and I have always used other people's work as a springboard for my own. They inspire me, then my story grows from something in those stories that inspired me, be it a situation, setting, or character. :-D

Obviously, when I say I take inspiration from other people's stories, that doesn't mean I copy them - it means a facet of the plot, or an occurrence or a situation (such as the skates being left in a cupboard in TMG) leads me onto a slight twist in my own stories. In the case of Dark Hall, a herbal remedy book is buried so it can be dug up in the modern day. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Rob Houghton wrote:I've just bought a copy from eBay, due to everyone's recommendations! :-D

This edition, which I liked the look of -

My book has arrived. It's not the one I thought was coming which was the same as Rob's but the 1989 version pictured above.

I'm very pleased with it as it's a hard back in beautiful condition with pristine plastic protective cover.
I wonder which version Rob will receive? I hope it's a decent copy!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Looks good, Pete. I would still most like to have that edition that was pictured when you bought it, but that can wait... I haven't read the book yet, after all! :wink: Glad you got a lovely copy in such good condition. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but it should be this one:

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

pete9012S wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:I've just bought a copy from eBay, due to everyone's recommendations! :-D

This edition, which I liked the look of -

My book has arrived. It's not the one I thought was coming which was the same as Rob's but the 1989 version pictured above.

I'm very pleased with it as it's a hard back in beautiful condition with pristine plastic protective cover.
I wonder which version Rob will receive? I hope it's a decent copy!
Mine arrived today, and its also not the edition that was pictured (I didn't really expect it would be, as I know that book seller well!!) - but its a very good condition hardback, the same edition as yours, Pete! I'm very pleased with it, as I've had bad experiences with the seller (World of Books) before - but this one is great! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Phew! Looks like we've all got (or are going to get) good editions - hopefully they haven't been pruned, edited or updated!

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Shouldn't think they will have been. This isn't Enid Blyton, after all. :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

My copy has arrived now too! :D It's as pictured in my above post, in decent enough condition (corners are a bit bumped, etc.), and has good illustrations. I'll start it as soon as I've finished re-reading Watership Down (more than halfway through at the moment) — hopefully in time for my own holiday in Cambridge in two weeks' time! I'll look forward to a little book discussion here with others once we've all read it, too.
Society Member

pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I've started the book - hope that hasn't given too much away! :wink: :D

Society Member