E. Nesbit - The Railway Children, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: E. Nesbit - The Railway Children, etc.

Post by Rob Houghton »

burlingtonbertram wrote: I've said this before and I'll say it again. The Ugly-Wuglies: WHAT WERE THE PRODUCERS THINKING!

OH THE HORROR!

Apologies for the caps but it's the nearest I can get to a scream.
I agree - but its the stuff our childhood's were made of! Darleks, Ugly-Wuglies, the flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz... :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

booklover wrote: 28 Nov 2016, 12:08 Have recently found out that E. Nesbit wrote ghost and horror short stories. Twenty of these stories are collected in The Power of Darkness - Tales of Terror. Worth a read for fans of the genre. Nesbit writes beautifully as usual but these are definitely not children's stories.
Well I never knew that - I will have to search them out for my winter read collection.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

I watched last night 'E. Nesbit' (written by Ken Taylor Starring Judy Parfitt) on a DVD titled 'The Edwardians' borrowed from the library. Quite fascinating for someone like me who knows more about Enid Blyton than Edith Nesbit. The parallels are astonishing. The biopic is much more favorable to Edith than was Helena Bonham-Carter's portrayal of Enid. Unlike books, films have to be so selective -sixty or so years compressed into an hour or two. This film covers the years from her marriage to Bland up until his incipient blindness. The BBC produced some excellent programs in the 1970s and this series is one of them including 'Mr. Rolls and Mr Royce' for petrol heads and 'Conan Doyle' for Sherlockians.
Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Rob Houghton wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 20:28 I agree - but its the stuff our childhood's were made of! Darleks, Ugly-Wuglies, the flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz... :D
None of them as bad as the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
DSR
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Child Catcher is a wonderful creation, truly chilling. He doesn't appear in the book by Ian Fleming. He was dreamt up by Roald Dahl for the 1968 film - as was Truly Scrumptious.

Judith Crabb wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 22:25 I watched last night 'E. Nesbit' (written by Ken Taylor Starring Judy Parfitt) on a DVD titled 'The Edwardians' borrowed from the library. Quite fascinating for someone like me who knows more about Enid Blyton than Edith Nesbit. The parallels are astonishing. The biopic is much more favorable to Edith than was Helena Bonham-Carter's portrayal of Enid.
Sounds good, Judith. The programme is available on YouTube so I'll have to watch it when time allows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouHGV9pcqYw
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I watched the programme on YouTube, Judith. It was interesting to see Judy Parfitt as E. Nesbit, though the drama simplified a rather more complex reality.

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

"The drama simplified a rather more complex reality". In those words Anita you've encapsulated my entire bias towards the printed word over the screen. To condense the strangeness of an entire human life into an hour or two of visuals, no matter how good the film is, (and I admit I'm not much of a judge of sound tracks and technicalities), is short changing the human condition. This is what troubles me about the world we have created. As print diminishes in importance our understanding has diminished and along with it compassion.
(Now I'll descend from my soapbox and have breakfast.)
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moved from 'What other author are you reading at the moment?'

I've just finished reading E. Nesbit's "The Would-Be-Goods" which is a follow on from "The Treasure Seekers". It's written in the same style as the first book, which is quite amusing as it is supposedly written by one of the children, who keeps giving away clues to their identity. However, anyone who has read the first book will already know who it is.

The second book is full of exploits, which mostly go wrong. To start with it was quite funny, but I felt that towards the end it was wearing a bit thin. The older children certainly should have known that it is wrong to 'borrow' things from the house without asking the permission of the adults, seeing how many times they get punished for it!

It's been a fascinating insight into a time period long gone, just simple things like no cars are mentioned, and not even proper roads at times, and also the descriptions of the soldiers.

Interestingly, the book was first published in 1901, and my edition was printed in 1921. Despite the 20 year gap, it hasn't been altered from all the references to the Queen, nor indeed that there had been a world war by the time of reprinting.

I see it is still in print - I would love to read a modern copy, as I can't imagine how much of the original text could have survived, I would have thought most of it would be unsuitable for today's sensitive little readers!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I must admit I love the exploits in The Wouldbegoods (and the other books about the six Bastables). As a child, I positively welcomed being transported to a past era where things were different - and I would certainly not have been pleased with any updating. It was fun to read of children who had a lot more freedom than I did and were able to roam the countryside, befriend tramps and soldiers, play on a moat, explore an old tower and get up to all sorts of (often unintended) mischief, including causing a flood and (on another occasion) building a dam in a stream with the unforeseen consequence of diverting water into a farmer's field, ruining some of his barley. There are frequent literary references too. As a girl, I read Kenneth Grahame's The Golden Age and Dream Days as a direct result of their being mentioned by E. Nesbit, and I re-read Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book (which I'd first read at a younger age) because the Bastables were so fond of it.

I love the way the narrator (one of the children as you said, Katharine) tells the story - sometimes in their own conversational style and sometimes as they feel a book ought to be written, in a poetical way - though they soon tire of that. To quote some of my favourite parts:
Children are like jam: all very well in the proper place, but you can't stand them all over the shop - eh, what?

These were the dreadful words of our Indian uncle. They made us feel very young and angry; and yet we could not be comforted by calling him names to ourselves, as you do when nasty grown-ups say nasty things, because he is not nasty, but quite the exact opposite when not irritated. And we could not think it ungentlemanly of him to say we were like jam, because, as Alice says, jam is very nice indeed - only not on furniture and improper places like that.

The girls have come up with the idea of forming a society for the purpose of doing good deeds, which makes Oswald and Dicky nervous:
"It pleases the girls," Oswald said, for he is a kind brother.

"But we're not going to stand jaw, and 'words in season', and 'loving sisterly warnings'. I tell you what it is, Oswald, we'll have to run this thing our way, or it'll be jolly beastly for everybody."

Oswald saw this plainly.

"We must do something," Dicky said; "it's very very hard, though. Still, there must be some interesting things that are not wrong."

"I suppose so," Oswald said, "but being good is so much like being a muff, generally. Anyhow I'm not going to smooth the pillows of the sick, or read to the aged poor, or any rot out of Ministering Children."

"No more am I," Dicky said. He was chewing a straw like the head had in its mouth [a reference to a previous incident]. "But I suppose we must play the game fair. Let's begin by looking out for something useful to do - something like mending things or cleaning them, not just showing off."

"The boys in books chop kindling wood and save their pennies to buy tea and tracts."

"Little beasts!" said Dicky. "I say, let's talk about something else." And Oswald was glad to, for he was beginning to feel jolly uncomfortable.

Thoughts about author S. R. Crockett:
We all drew up in a line outside the churchyard wall and saluted as they [soldiers] went by, though we had not read Toady Lion then. We have since. It is the only decent book I have ever read written by Toady Lion's author. The others are mere piffle. But many people like them.

The narrator trying to write "like the books they give you for a prize at a girls' school":
"Ah, me!" sighed a slender maiden of twelve summers, removing her elegant hat and passing her tapery fingers lightly through her fair tresses, "how sad it is - is it not? - to see able-bodied youths and young ladies wasting the precious summer hours in idleness and luxury."

The maiden frowned reproachingly, but yet with earnest gentleness, at the group of youths and maidens who sat beneath an umbragipeaous beech tree and ate black currants.

"Dear brothers and sisters," the blushing girl went on, "could we not, even now, at the eleventh hour, turn to account these wasted lives of ours, and seek some occupation at once improving and agreeable?"

"I do not quite follow your meaning, dear sister," replied the cleverest of the brothers, on whose brow - "

It's no use. I can't write like these books. I wonder how the books' authors can keep it up.

What really happened was that we were all eating black currants in the orchard, out of a cabbage leaf, and Alice said -

"I say, look here, let's do something. It's simply silly to waste a day like this. It's just on eleven. Come on!"

"And Oswald said, "Where to?"

That was the beginning of it.
Such sparkle, humour and naturalness - though of course there's also sadness and tragedy, which are inescapable elements of life. E. Nesbit was an expert storyteller and I loved her books just as much as Enid Blyton's when I was a youngster.

Society Member