Neil Gaiman

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
chloe1

Neil Gaiman

Post by chloe1 »

I was just reading the Carnegie medal article in the latest EBS journal and I wondered what readers here think of one of the latest winners Neil Gaiman? (The graveyard book won the award)

I love Gaimans adult fiction - my adoration is partly fuelled by his friendship (and secret injokes) with singer Tori Amos who I also love - but Stardust is one of my favourite books ever and American Gods, once I found the time to read and absorb it was wonderful.

I am never so sure with his childrens books. Very Dahl-esqe I guess. I did love Graveyard but I couldnt help feeling I had read something similer before.

Whenever I am reading Gaiman I am never sure whether he is a genius or just a mediocre writer who is interesting because of his famous connections and dont care style.
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Re: Neil Gaiman

Post by aminmec »

If you find Neil Gaiman interesting then you must pick up his Sandman comic series which is immensely famous all over the world .

He has also written the comic adaptation of the movie Beowulf which is good as well.
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

aminmec wrote:If you find Neil Gaiman interesting then you must pick up his Sandman comic series which is immensely famous all over the world .
I agree. I've only read a couple of the Sandman graphic novels, but the rest are on my list. They are beautifully drawn and written.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

chloe1 wrote:Stardust is one of my favourite books ever
Just curious, have you seen the movie adaptation? I haven't read the book, but I think the movie is stellar.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

I cant read comics. I have tried Sandman and other graphic novels so many times and my brain just cant follow the story :(

Yes I have seen the stardust film and I hated it. There was none of the gentle charm of the book and they left out key scenes.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

chloe1 wrote:Whenever I am reading Gaiman I am never sure whether he is a genius or just a mediocre writer who is interesting because of his famous connections and dont care style.
The only book I've ever read by Neil Gaiman is Coraline and I found it extremely disappointing - you've hit on exactly the right word with "mediocre", Chloe. I was attracted to Coraline by the creepy-looking cover (drawn by Dave McKean) and by the fact that I knew it had been made into a film, though I haven't seen it. The style of writing was polished and the story was disturbingly surreal but unfortunately it lacked originality, the plot was slight and the final few chapters were hurried so that, when I came to the end, I felt, "Hmmm - was that it?!" It was one of those books where a lonely, half-neglected child explores a sinister old house and uncovers...well, I won't say any more, but to anyone familiar with the typical ingredients of fairytales and thrillers there are no real surprises. As I child I read a number of memorable "doll" stories which moved and chilled me, by authors like Rumer Godden, Ruth M. Arthur and Sylvia Cassedy. Coraline wasn't a patch on any of them.

I do like to try more than one book by an author though, and after reading the posts by you, Aminmec and Mynameisdumbnuts I think I'd like to try Stardust and one of the Sandman graphic novels one of these days.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I bought a copy of Stardust last September (2010) from South Korea but have yet to read it (so many books, so little time). This thread made me take it down from my book case; I'll start reading as soon as I get my homework done! :D

I watched the movie, and I really liked it. Books, however, are always better than movies, so I'm looking forward to a good read.

Society Member
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

I think I would recommend Stardust to anyone here. It is essentially an adult fairytale but it is beautifully written and I would consider it his best work. I think it started life in graphic novel form.

Anita - I need to reread Coraline but I remember thinking it was only ok too. Do give The Graveyard Book a try as it is much better.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for the recommendation, Chloe.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member