Shakespeare

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Re: Shakespeare

Post by zaidi »

If Shakespeare was born in 19th century Wouldn't he be an excellent, enjoyable writer just as Enid Blyton plus if he was a husband of Enid. What a good combination they would make! Though i know it will seem an absurd idea to most but truly it's a great imagination!
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

dsr wrote:When your reading a play, you can't just immerse yourself in it, you have to think about other things as well - ie. who's speaking. You can't just watch and enjoy, you're having to calculate. It's so much easier on the stage.
     I think you missed my main point. I wasn't merely saying that I didn't find the plays ineffective when reading them - if that were the case, they might indeed come more to life if seen performed instead. Rather, I was emphasizing that I found the actual words literally meaningless. I really don't see how seeing them performed on stage, however brilliantly and expressively, would make any difference to this basic fact.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Post by aminmec »

zaidi , you should try and read up comic (picture strip) versions of Shakespeare's stories .

A few popular ones have been made into comics by different publishing companies .You may have to hunt hard as they are not so readily available .

You will enjoy it more I guess ..
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Another news has came on BBC about shakespaere, here :http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15291816
Nepolean
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian and Jupiter Jones.

Post by Nepolean »

zaidi wrote:Do old writers have to be so boring. Reading the original text of Shakespeare's plays is immensely difficult.Has any one read Shakespeare's original text in school. How many of you like to read his books?Have came across them at school?
At that time Shakespeare may have been good but honestly his plays make me sleep. The most common thing about his plays is blood shed that is what is usually the main theme of his plays!Any sites you think that can help out with Shakespeare's plays do tell them!
I haven't read much Shakespeare, but I don't think that's his mistake if his writing is difficult to read. English has evolved and so now we find it difficult becuase of the modern English that we are used to. I am saying this because my native language is Tamil which is very ancient and older than Sanskrit and so at school we were made to read Tamil poetry which are 2000 years old. Although any Tamil person could read it, understanding the poems requires a dictionary. But I loved reading it.
"When you are afraid to do a thing and yet you do it, then you are really brave," said Fatty. "You're a hero Ern."
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

Something that interests me is that although modern schoolchildren - and adults - groan and moan over Shakespeare (and I don't, incidentally, think that it's because the language is archaic because it is not really), is the fact that at the time he was writing, people - all sorts of people, not just intellectuals - would go to see the plays at the theatre and follow them completely. I wonder how many people today could and would do that? (not me, btw).
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

I just recently finished Julius Caesar at school any i thoroughly loved it because of the detail working and i felt sad at the death of Brutus , i read summary of Julius Caesar but that was boring but the real version with detail and explanation was great.