Sindy Adventures.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Katharine

Re: Sindy Adventures.

Post by Katharine »

I'd never heard of the Sindy books.

I'd never heard of Fairie Glen until recently either. I collect Amanda Jane dolls and sometimes the FG clothes are mixed in with their clothes. Most people don't seem to have heard of Amanda Jane dolls, although judging by the prices some of them fetch on e-bay there must be a few dedicated collectors out there!

I had a Sindy, not a Barbie. I've still got all my bits and pieces, but I've never let my girls play with them - they are much too heavy handed.

Does anyone know if Sindy dolls are still produced? I seem to recall a slightly different version in the shops a few years back, but haven't seen any since.

I agree with Chloe that Sindy had a nicer face than Barbie.
Society Member
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

I think Vivid Imaginations?? were the last owners of the Sindy brand - Hasbro had her for a while I think. They turned her into Barbie - infact I think Mattel might have sued them.

I wish someone decent would buy the brand and relaunch her properly. There is a market out there for traditional nice toys but sadly it is a smaller market than the Barbie/Bratz one so no one bothers.

I did get sent an email by these nice people today. Different type of doll but nice idea. http://www.AGirlforAllTime.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

I just looked it up. Pedigree lease the brand to Vivid who still sell her although I never see her around.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I was a Sindy girl too. Most of my Sindy stuff (dolls, clothes, furniture, boutique, travel agents, cafe etc) were hand me downs from my cousins though I must have gotten some of it new. I was really upset when Barbie started taking over. I got my first Barbie when on holiday my sister and I bought an ice/roller skate set and none of the skates fitted Sindy's flatter, wider feet.

Now, though, Barbie has been rather sidelined herself. There's much less choice of sets, clothes and dolls in any toyshop I've been in to, and even online. The market seems to much more divided, with Disney dolls, Bratz dolls and various others.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Katharine wrote:I agree with Chloe that Sindy had a nicer face than Barbie.
I agree - rounder, gentler and more natural-looking. And yes, the Faerie Glen clothes were beautiful.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

chloe1 wrote:I wish someone decent would buy the brand and relaunch her properly. There is a market out there for traditional nice toys but sadly it is a smaller market than the Barbie/Bratz one so no one bothers.

I did get sent an email by these nice people today. Different type of doll but nice idea. http://www.AGirlforAllTime.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reminds me of the Sasha dolls. I agree it would be nice to have a better choice. I can tolerate Disney and Barbie but absolutely LOATHE Bratz dolls. Someone bought one for for my eldest daughter, but she thought it was so ugly she never played with it!

I used to love Pippa dolls too, I don't think there's a modern equivalent.

I also agree with Fiona that there doesn't seem to be as many clothes etc. for dolls, I seem to remember we just had one or two dolls then bought lots of different outfits for them. Now it seems that there are lots of differently dressed dolls to collect. Obviously makes more money for the company.
Society Member