Malcolm Saville - Lone Pine Club, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Splodj

Re: Malcolm Saville - Lone Pine Club, etc.

Post by Splodj »

The GGB book of his short stories has been delayed until next month because another one was found for inclusion - 'Rosemary For Remembrance'.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

John Pickup wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 09:41 Girls Gone By have just published The Luck Of Sallowby, the fifth book in the Jillies series.
They have also announced they are going to publish Malcolm Saville's Short Stories which will include The Thin Grey Man and The Flower Show Hat.
I find "Girls Gone By" slightly off-putting. They are not exclusively girls' stories so why is the publisher choosing that name?
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Maybe Girls Gone By was started with the intention of republishing girls' school stories, but later branched out? If they were well established by then, they probably wouldn't have wanted to change their name. I'm only guessing though - I don't know for sure.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I’ve been reading the Malcolm Saville short story collection recently published by Girls Gone By. I don’t think the short story form was something that Saville had much interest in, Enid wrote hundreds if not thousands of them, Saville wrote about three especially for children. The book is made up a number of fictional essays from a gardening magazine written in the 1930s and 40s, a recently discovered adult story published in a magazine in 1928, a comic strip version of Two Fair Plaits from the Mickey Mouse Weekly comic and three stories that came out as complete books including the short novel The Thin Grey Man. This isn’t a criticism of the book it is a brilliant read that I enjoyed very much.

Girls Gone By have very short print runs, if you are at all interested in Malcolm Saville it would worth getting a copy before it goes out of print. Put it on your Christmas present list!
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member