THE HOST!!!!! (Stephenie Meyer)

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Somita
Favourite book/series: Enid's books,Twilight Series,A Little Princess etc
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Jack, Dick & WANDERER(the host)

Post by Somita »

"The Host" is the greatest book I have ever read!!!!!
Somita

Post by Somita »

do any of you like it?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: THE HOST!!!!! (Stephenie Meyer)

Post by Lucky Star »

I haven't read it I'm afraid. What is it about?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Somita

Post by Somita »

The Host is a sci-fi/romance novel by Stephenie Meyer, the author of Twilight Series
It is about a soul called Wanderer. She belongs to the species who have invaded the earth. She is put inside the body of a girl named Melanie. Here's its summary from the book jacket:
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.

Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

This book is extremely gripping and the details about human emotions are simply moving. And as said in the summary, this is possibly the first love triangle involving only two bodies.
Hope you will read it once. I am sure you will love it.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Not meaning to criticise your reading interests, Somita, but in my opinion Stephenie Meyer is absolute rubbish. I read the Twilight series long after the fad died down (I never read something which everyone is jumping about at the moment) and I was extremely disappointed by the lack of plot and the very grey line between 'good' and 'bad' vampires. Of Twilight I read chapters 1-3, then jumped to 17 and missed nothing. :roll: As my English teacher always said, "With Twilight there's no clear difference between good and evil - and for a teenager that is a dangerous thing. When I was a teen, I read Enid Blyton ( :D ), I still read Enid Blyton, and the sense of morality I got was great."

I have heard that The Host is much better but I still have my doubts - hopefully I'll have a better opinion of it. :)

Society Member
Moonraker

Re: The Host (Stephenie Meyer)

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:Not meaning to criticise your reading interests, Somita, but in my opinion Stephenie Meyer is absolute rubbish.
It's not very often that I disagree totally with Ming, but I found the Twilight series enthralling. I loved every page, and even found the film incredibly good. I normally have a few grouses about film adaptations, but I thought Twilight captured the mood of the book admirably.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

As Nigel said this is one of the few subjects on which we disagree. I did manage to somehow plough through the series but the second book I just gave up on. I found the film more entertaining, simply because I didn't have to trawl through pages of "Edward is so perfect". What annoys me most about this series is not Stephenie Meyer's fault - many of my peers are almost alarmingly obsessed with the Cullen clan - some of them to the extent of almost falling in love with a fictional character. It's very annoying to hear people say non-stop, "I wish Edward was real! He is so awesome!" - honestly! Any person who loves you would do the same, risk their lives when necessary, perhaps won't shower you with 'before' and 'after marriage' cars but will make you feel loved - it doesn't have to be confined to the pages of fiction!

Okay, rant over. As you can see, most of my distaste came from people's reactions and perhaps criticising the author is not my business.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sorry, but this doesn't sound my 'cup of tea' at all.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

I read the Twilight books and quite liked them but not to the extent of being 'enthralled' :). They were readable, gripping at times but not as much as, for instance, Harry Potter was for me (which I genuinely could not 'put down'). I don't think that Meyer is a particularly brilliant writer to be honest though certainly she is not bad.

I've not felt inclined to watch the films.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fhaye101

Post by fhaye101 »

Thanks for the short review you've provided Somita. It really interest me to read and know more about this book. A love story with some twist of a sci-fi-romance on it.
Fhaye Jones
Turning Winds
Somita

Post by Somita »

@ Ming: I agree with Nigel..I am one of the greatest fans of the Twilight Series, movie as well as the book... but, The Host is way way way way WAYYYY better than Twilight series....... you must read it once..Plus, of course, Enid is above all others..
@ Julie: I strongly recommend that you try it once, I mean, I sooo like that book that I want everybody to try it... I mean, it is simply a great book..
@ Yak: The Host is better than Twilight!!
@ fhaye101: You are welcome... I hope you will read it once....

And mmmm... of course it depends upon people's choices and interests about whether they like a book or not... so.. I'm sorry if I sounded crazy...but, actually, I'm really crazy about The Host... And I'm very happy that a movie is going to be made from it :)
Nepolean
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian and Jupiter Jones.

Post by Nepolean »

I haven't read any of Stephenie Meyer's books. I doubt if I'll ever read the Twilight books.
I saw the first two movies of the series and I didn't like them very much. The second part 'New moon' was a total bore.
Maybe the books are good, I don't know. Not all books can be adapted properly into movies.
One of my friends is reading the Twilight book and I'll buy it only if she gives a thumbs up.
"When you are afraid to do a thing and yet you do it, then you are really brave," said Fatty. "You're a hero Ern."
Somita

Post by Somita »

Hi Nepolean
I think we shouldn't judge an author without reading their works. Different people have different interests, but a movie can't be at all like the original book, I think. Twilight books are way greater than the movies, and, The Host is way way way better than the Twilight series. At least I think so..
Nepolean
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian and Jupiter Jones.

Post by Nepolean »

Hi Somita,

I completely agree with you. That's what I meant when I said the following.
Nepolean wrote: Maybe the books are good, I don't know. Not all books can be adapted properly into movies.
I'll try reading those books. :)

Thanks,
Nepolean
"When you are afraid to do a thing and yet you do it, then you are really brave," said Fatty. "You're a hero Ern."
Somita

Post by Somita »

:)