Bulldog Drummond

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Bulldog Drummond

Post by RDMorrell »

Having searched for previous topics on this series and found none, I thought I would start a new thread about it, as I am currently reading the entire series. Well, that is to say, the ten books written by H.C. McNeile, better known as "Sapper". House of Stratus has published them, along with a number of other Sapper titles like Jim Maitland, Jim Brent and Ask For Ronald Standish.

In addition to the ten Sapper books, there are also a number of continuations written by Sapper's best friend, Gerard Fairlie, who carried the series on after he died. However, these are all out of print and seem to be very difficult to obtain. The only Fairlie Drummond novel that's easy to get is Captain Bulldog Drummond, which I have. But alas, I have none of the other Fairlie ones.

I can however boast a nice uniform set of the ten Sapper BD books, issued by House of Stratus. (This company seemed to go out of business for a while, but they're back in it now.) And so I have set about reading them all. So far, I have read the first four: Bulldog Drummond, The Black Gang, The Third Round and The Final Count. I am just about to embark upon the fifth: The Female of the Species.

I'd actually read Bulldog Drummond some 20 years earlier, but had completely forgotten it. Back then, it was a Puffin paperback I read. The House of Stratus edition I read about a month ago had an interesting introduction that said Sapper was influenced by the Scarlet Pimpernel series, and that he in turn influenced Ian Fleming, who was apparently quite an avid Bulldog Drummond fan.

However, although Bulldog Drummond is classified as a children's book, I'm not entirely sure how suitable it is for younger readers. There's a romance angle that's dealt with very tastefully (the emphasis is definitely on adventure), but more seriously, people die, and it's not just the bad guys who kill. Drummond racks up a fair few victims himself. In the subsequent books too, people die violent and sometimes rather gruesome deaths.

That aside however, they are thoroughly entertaining for the most part, with some quite hilarious dialogue and gripping suspense. Some of the action could even be described as Blytonian, with secret rooms, caves and suchlike being explored at different times. The first three books are narrated in the third person, while many subsequent ones are told in the first person by various friends and acquaintances of Drummond's.

One aspect that I do find a little disturbing is some of the racist and anti-Semitic language. Jewish people are never mentioned favourably, usually described as "nasty", "little" and sometimes "dirty". There was also a most cringeworthy passage in The Final Count where a character describes Russia as being "run by homicidal alien Jews". Ick! :? This too perhaps makes it not overly suitable for children - at least, certainly not for younger ones. A certain N word rhyming with "digger" also crops up once or twice, although it's used in an almost neutral way. I don't know that it really took on pejorative connotations until about the middle of the 20th century.

Of course, in the 1920s and 1930s, when these books were first published, such sentiments were quite widespread, so no one would probably have paid them too much mind. The anti-Communist rhetoric of the first two books struck more of a chord with me though. I found myself nodding in vigorous agreement at some of the denunciations of it, and also of revolutionaries in general. Anyway, if you can cope with the occasional spot of racism and anti-Semitism, not to mention some of the violence, the books are otherwise a really enjoyable, suspenseful and sometimes very funny read. And I do recommend them, notwithstanding some of their less salubrious aspects.

So, who else here is a fan of this classic series from between the world wars? Which BD book is your favourite? If you have any of Fairlie's continuations, how do they compare with Sapper's originals, for you? Where does it rank for you? I think for me, the violence and anti-Semitism makes the series rank somewhat below Blyton, Biggles, Just William and so on (even though they all have some politically incorrect moments), but the narrative style and some of the adventures had by Drummond and his pals still makes it highly enjoyable. If you haven't got any of the books, or are looking to add to your collection, do try the House of Stratus paperbacks, which are of very nice quality and readily available from Amazon UK.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Re: Bulldog Drummond

Post by Aurélien »

From time to time I also re-read certain of H. C. McNeile's Bulldog Drummond Books, Rowan. My favourites? For me,
  • #6 'Temple Tower' (1929), and
    #10 'Challenge' (1937)
As to Gerard Fairlie's 7 continuation novels, they are more of the same, but sans Sapper's occasional bursts of playful wit, the "...quite hilarious dialogue..." you so rightly praise.
RDMorrell wrote:...they are thoroughly entertaining for the most part, with some quite hilarious dialogue and gripping suspense. Some of the action could even be described as Blytonian, with secret rooms, caves and suchlike being explored at different times.
Thanks for pointing out the connection, which explains why we are drawn to both authors.
RDMorrell wrote:One aspect that I do find a little disturbing is some of the racist and anti-Semitic language. Anyway, if you can cope with the occasional spot of racism and anti-Semitism, not to mention some of the violence, the books are otherwise a really enjoyable, suspenseful and sometimes very funny read. And I do recommend them, notwithstanding some of their less salubrious aspects.
Yes to all of that. And whatever some of those reading this might think :roll: , our enjoying the entertaining parts of the Bulldog Drummond books while gritting our pc teeth at the unacceptable ethno-religious slurs, so regretably characteristic of the era, does not make crypto-racists out of us.

Should you not already have them in your collection, Rowan, Sapper's 5 Bulldog Drummond short stories are worth the getting:
  • Lonely Inn
    The Mystery Tour
    The Oriental Mind
    Wheels Within Wheels
    Thirteen Lead Soldiers
‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ from :P north of the Bombay Hills
Last edited by Aurélien on 22 Sep 2009, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

I read Bulldog Drummond 15 or 20 years ago myself. I can't remember much about the book, except that it was a lot of fun. Heck I can't even remember the title! :lol: Incidentally I came across some radio dramatizations of Bulldog Drummond on I-tunes recently. The plays are from the 1940s or something. I downloaded several, but the quality was rather poor. It sounded like it had been recorded from a radio broadcast (as opposed to the producers getting hold of the original recording that was relayed on air), and had loads of static. So I gave up on it.
I agree with you about the plot lines revolving around secret passages, and caves, but I think a lot of the crime writing from the early 20th century is similar. Edgar Wallace's books (another favorite of mine) have a similar feel. I also read one "Slim Callaghan" book a long time ago, which was like this.
Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

Should you not already have them in your collection, Rowan, Sapper's 5 Bulldog Drummond short stories are worth the getting:
Lonely Inn
The Mystery Tour
The Oriental Mind
Wheels Within Wheels
Thirteen Lead Soldiers
Thanks for the heads-up about these, Aurélien. I'm not sure whether House of Stratus has also issued the short stories, but if they have, I shall certainly endeavour to acquire them!

Temple Tower is one of my favourites too. Four or five years ago, I was lucky enough to stumble across an old Hodder and Stoughton "yellow jacket" edition of this book in an antique shop. Somewhat oddly, it was just sitting rather randomly amongst a bunch of old vases and things. Perhaps someone else had checked it out and then dumped it there. Anyway, it was all wrapped up in plastic, and when I unwrapped it after getting home, I discovered it was in virtually brand-new condition! :shock: It was almost like I'd stepped back in time to the 1950s and bought it fresh off the shelf.

Anyway, I then read it, and found it to be a highly suspenseful thriller, with a great twist at the end. Definitely one of Sapper's best. I still bought the House of Stratus edition this year though, as I wanted a uniform set. And I will re-read it once I'm done with The Female of the Species - not least for the sheer pleasure of enjoying such a great story again! :D
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

My 'Bulldog Drummond' books are old Hodder & Stoughton hardbacks but mostly :( without jackets.

I should have mentioned that those five Sapper Bulldog Drummond short stories I listed above are included in a 1984 Dent book, "'SAPPER' The Best Short Stories", edited by Jack Adrian. In my opinion, 'Lonely Inn' and 'The Mystery Tour' are the best.

Gerard Fairlie also wrote a handful of Bulldog Drummond short stories (for magazine publication) but I don't know whether they were ever published in book format.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ 8)