Atonement

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
auscatherine

Atonement

Post by auscatherine »

I am just re-reading this as I have joined a bookclub at the local library and this is the next book to be discussed. I thought I had better re-read it after having a glance at the discussion questions and realising I couldn't even remember what the characters were called. It is a very good, albeit uncomfortable read. Reminds me a bit of LP Hartley's The Go Between (which I studied at school). Has anyone else read it? I would love to see the film sometime too. I think Keira Knightley plays Cecilia.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Atonement

Post by Ming »

I haven't read the book, couldn't find it anywhere. I saw the movie, though; Keira Knightley does indeed play Cecilia, with Saorse Ronan in the part of Briony and James McAvoy as Robbie Turner.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Atonement was my introduction to Ian McEwan about six years ago and since then I have read everything by him. He is a superb writer and the 2007 film version of Atonement is first-class. You're right, Ming, it stars Keira Knightley as Cecilia Tallis and James McAvoy as Robbie Turner.

Parts of the book also remind me of L.P. Hartley's brilliant novel, The Go-Between, Catherine. You may recall that this was made into a superb film in 1970 with Alan Bates and Julie Christie playing the parts of Ted Burgess and Lady Marian Trimingham.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've also seen the film but not read the book.

I loved the film, and spent a geat deal of it wishing MY nursing uniform had a red cape I could dramatically throw over my shoulders on entering a building!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Which other of his books would you recommend, Eddie? I started another one of his (I can't remember the title of it but it was about a couple who had lost a child) and just couldn't continue with it. A lot of that was the subject matter rather than the writing though.

Re the nurses capes, we still ahd those in Australia in the 70s. I only know that because my parents took film footage of my younger brother coming home from hospital as a baby in 1970 adn the nurse is wearing one of those capes as well as a funny hat. :)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I think all of Ian McEwan's books are worth reading, Catherine, but I would particularly recommend Enduring Love, The Innocent, The Comfort of Strangers, On Chesil Beach and Amsterdam. His collections of short stories are also very good. The novel you had a problem with was The Child in Time and I must admit this is my least favourite of all his books. The writing is good but, like you, I found the subject matter rather harrowing.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I picked up Atonement last night for Rs 200, and I am looking forward to reading it! Will add my thoughts on it later.

Society Member
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Great, Ming! My first bookclub meeting (where we will discuss Atonement) is in just over an hour's time. I am quite excited. :D