Mary Grant Bruce

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Jeffery Greyling
Favourite book/series: Secret Mountain, V. of Adventure, FF and Barney M.

Mary Grant Bruce

Post by Jeffery Greyling »

Most of you probably haven't heard of her, but she wrote the Billabong books, which are now Australian classics. She wrote them between 1910 and 1942. If any of you have read Seven Little Austalians (by Ethel Turner) they're reasonably similar. I've always loved these books, though they are quite hard to get hold of really. If you find any, try reading them, 'cause they're good to read, but if you don't like them, they'll get heaps on Ebay.
Last edited by Jeffery Greyling on 26 Oct 2009, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Jeffery Greyling

Re: Mary Grant Bruce (Australian author)

Anyone?
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

I've heard of her, and would quite like to read her books, but I'm not sure if they're readily available outside Australia without paying a lot of money. Still, one can always hope... :D
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Jeffery Greyling

There's a few copies of the first book on Ebay Australia at the moment, for quite cheap - I messaged the seller asking how much for postage to the UK, but they haven't replied.

John K
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

I read a few of these as a child (they were my mum's copies as she loved them herself). I didn't like them as much as the Seven Little Australians series though. I was thrilled recently to discover a Seven Little Australians park in Sydney near where Ethel Turner used to live.
Jeffery Greyling

I don't know if you did, but the Billabong books are better if you start from the start (A Little Bush Maid). Which ones did your Mum have? Just Billabong, or others such as Seahawk?

John K
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

I would have read A Little Bush Maid first but can't remember which other ones I read or in what order. I do remember that they were out of print then (1970s) so mum would keep an eye out for them in op shops or second hand stalls. I will have to see if she still has any.