New authors of the Famous Five and Secret Seven etc

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Sue Webster

New authors of the Famous Five and Secret Seven etc

Post by Sue Webster »

Claude Voilier has written some new Famous Five books and they are good but give me Enid any time ,and the Secret Seven are told by Evelyne Lallemand , also good but prefer Enid , What do other readers think of the different authors ?
I also like Anne Digby `s stories and also used to read horse stories too. I dont know who has written the new Malory Towers books and have not seen any yet so cant comment on them or the St, Clare`s new ones . Ill have to see if the library has any .
I`m also a collector of I--SPY Books and have a large collection . M ichelin were the last publishers and now waiting to hear if any new books are coming out soon. Great little books , and love David Bellamy`s ones---he`s a friend of mine too! There was a club --once a tribe -- and even today I still take books with me when I go out . Sue :) anyone have any books they want to get rid of?
ENID BLYTON BOOKS ARE THE BEST EVER!
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: new authors of the Famous Five and Secret Seven etc

Post by Lenoir »

I recently read The Five and the Z-rays.
It was the first time I had read one of these. It wasn’t bad but obviously isn’t the real thing.
George was cast as the leader of the five. She had all the ideas and Julian took a back seat role, so it wasn’t true to the books as we know them. Some might like to see Julian demoted like this, but his fans will be disgusted!
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

I've read a fair chunk of the Claude Voiler novels and they really do not compare to Enid's Five at all.

Part of that is that they clearly are more modern - the children fly to Martinique with Quentin and Fanny in "Deadly Danger", which is also unlike Fanny and Quentin because Quentin at least couldn't wait to be rid of George and the cousins!

I didn't know the Seven or MT had new authors. I kow Anne Digby wrote new Naughtiest Girl stories and Pamela Cox did SC, but I've not read those so can't comment apart from that I didn't like Anne Digby when younger so doubt I've changed my opinion now!
Sue Webster

Post by Sue Webster »

hi lenoir not read the Xrays book but do agree that Julian seems to take a back seat now in these other books . Fans will be disgusted . None of the 5 seem the same and ofcourse uncle Quentin couldn`t wait to get rid of Goerge and Co!

Manzanita. I agree with you you too , these new stories dont have the same attraction as Enid`s did. I havent read any of the "new" school stories yet as not seen any so cant comment on them yet. Sue .
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I didn’t know anyone had written some more Secret Seven books. I must look out for them.

By the way I see it is your birthday today Sue, so Happy Birthday! Enjoy the rest of it.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Happy Birthday Sue. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Happy Birthday, Sue! I like Pamela Cox's additions to the St. Clare's series (she is also writing additional Malory Towers books) but I'm not keen on Anne Digby's Naughtiest Girl sequels as the whole tone and style is so different from Enid's originals.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Sue Webster

Post by Sue Webster »

hi , guys . have had a nice birthday and thanks for your wishes . I`ll be down the library to see if i can find some of the "new" st clare`s and mallory towers books and see if I like them . sue :)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Pamela Cox is still writing the Malory Towers books so they haven't been published yet, Sue, but her three St. Clare's books (The Third Form at St. Clare's, The Sixth Form at St. Clare's and Kitty at St. Clare's) are all currently in print.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:.....but I'm not keen on Anne Digby's Naughtiest Girl sequels as the whole tone and style is so different from Enid's originals.

Anita
I agree, Anita. I read one of them second-hand -- I forgot the title actually, but seem to remember that it was something like The Naughtiest Girl Helps a Friend and found it a disappointment. The Naughtiest Girl series were the best of Enid's school stories in my opinion, but these continuations are not Blyton at all. :evil:
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Sue Webster

Post by Sue Webster »

hi philip . i `ve read the Naughtiest Girl Helps a Friend and a few others . I as not so keen on this one but the others were great fun. I get most of my books in charity shops and from a bookseller on walsall market who looks out for them for me . I`ll go to library when my cold is gone and see if I can get the 3 St Clares new stories . look like rudolph at the moment ! sue :)
Oscar Spain
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian (F.F.)

Post by Oscar Spain »

To be honest, Claude Voilier Famous Five are one of the worst books I read in my life.
He must be write: "George and other guys, adventures."
Oscar P.
Film director / Writer / Medical Student
http://www.delcinealhospital.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Not sure if this fits here but I bought the Famous Five Survival Guide for my Famous Five loving 10yo niece for Christmas last year and she said it was her favourite Christmas present. (Actually spent a large part of Christmas day with her nose buried in it ignoring the festivities). It was funny because I had almost returned it to the store I bought it from thinking it didn't look 'authentic' enough. I am so glad I didn't.
Sue Webster

Post by Sue Webster »

hi , sounds a great book , The Famous Five Survival Guide . I`ve not heard of it but sounds intriguing. where could I get a copy from ? would the local library be able to get it for me as i couldnt afford to buy it? thanks sue 8)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The Survival Guide is listed in the Cave of Books, Sue.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member