Milly-Molly-Mandy

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Milly-Molly-Mandy

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

When Enid Blyton wrote about Noddy "spending a penny", George Greenfield advised her to alter her wording! :lol: :wink:

I borrowed the Milly-Molly-Mandy books from the library as a child and loved the map of the village at the front, and Milly-Molly-Mandy's candy-striped dress. The stories were homely and heartwarming - I was fascinated by one about making a miniature garden.

As an adult I've collected the books, but only in paperback. My daughter liked them when she was young, and a friend of hers who used to borrow all kinds of books from me was particularly fond of Milly-Molly-Mandy (and the "My Naughty Little Sister" stories by Dorothy Edwards).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

There were two MMM books translated into German and published by Franz Schneider Verlag.
With the beginning of the Internet age I realized that those stories published in Germany were only a fraction of MMM stories out there, so I got all the others via amazon.co.uk.
I must say one thing though in favor of the German publication: the German illustrations of MMM are so much prettier than the original British illustrations.
Here's an example:

https://www.google.de/search?q=Milli-Mo ... nt=gws-wiz
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 17:58 When Enid Blyton wrote about Noddy "spending a penny", George Greenfield advised her to alter her wording! :lol: :wink:

I borrowed the Milly-Molly-Mandy books from the library as a child and loved the map of the village at the front, and Milly-Molly-Mandy's candy-striped dress. The stories were homely and heartwarming - I was fascinated by one about making a miniature garden.

As an adult I've collected the books, but only in paperback. My daughter liked them when she was young, and a friend of hers who used to borrow all kinds of books from me was particularly fond of Milly-Molly-Mandy (and the "My Naughty Little Sister" stories by Dorothy Edwards).

Anita, my favorite story was the one where MMM and Willy spend the night in the backyard and have a simple tent made by a blanket hanging over a stick.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock