The Cherrys by Will Scott

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Re: The Cherrys by Will Scott

Post by Aurélien »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Love the dust jackets of these books,Aurelien, makes you want to step inside and have a read. :D 8)
Yes, Julie, Buchanan's coloured book jackets are crisp and clear....her Blyton ones included. She was a truly dedicated professional over her book illustrations.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

The twelfth 'Cherrys Book', 'The Cherrys to the Rescue', leads them on a chase all over the countryside to the east of Market Cray.

The weather being doubtful, the womenfolk have sensibly chosen to go shopping. I can't recall if our intrepid adventurers wetted their dusty throats at the Tea Bower but (sorry, Moonraker :cry: ) they only catch a distant sight of the Inn to the east of One Tree Hill, with it's shady beer-garden to the back.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

The 'happenings' in the thirteenth 'Cherrys' Book, 'The Cherrys in the Snow', are played out at the snowed in 'Woodside (Railway) Station' when the Cherry and Pringle families are snowed up whilst on a return train trip from London.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I just love these dust covers, so nostaligic.

I checked out the couple that were on EBAY, but they went to expensive. Pity, I would have loved to have read them. :(

Aurelien, if you lived closer we could borrow and read yours. :P

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Aurelien, if you lived closer we could borrow and read yours. :P
Julie, don't encourage the old codger... :wink:
Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Julie, if we lived several thousand miles closer you could send Morgan around, wearing a doggy jacket with a book pocket built into it, to borrow selected books...which would :) :D :lol: save me the trouble of finding and struggling into a range of natty uniforms before answering the door to you..... 8)
Of course, if I lived in the UK I'd also be close enough to drop by Moonraker's place to guzzle some [make that lots] 8) of his beer.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Most frustrating when any treasured book series - never mind by which author - is so sought-after that prices on the internet are driven right through the roof, but yet no publisher believes that it would be financially worth their while to reprint them.....it's always us poor readers who have to suffer when that happens. And happen it does, all too often!

I've no idea who now owns the copyrights of the 'Cherrys' series by Will Scott (died 1964) - possibly his descendants still own the copyright of the texts - but whichever publishers bought out Brockhampton Press* likely own the rights to Lilian Buchanan's illustrations which would be absolutely essential to any re-publication of the series.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’

* Tony may be able to tell us who bought out / took over Brockhampton Press.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Aurélien wrote: * Tony may be able to tell us who bought out / took over Brockhampton Press.
Nobody is the answer! Hodders owned Brockhampton then and still own them now, which is why they still publish the Secret Seven series which if you remember were also Brock Books, with similarly designed dustwrappers - one of the reasons why I started collecting the Cherrys books was that I liked those Lilian Buchanan dustwrappers. The bad news is that I know that all the original artwork from that period ended up in a skip as Hodders threw it all away. This of course included all the Famous Five dustwrappers! I know that one or two things got 'rescued' from the skip, but the bulk of artwork was destroyed. It is also true to say that most publishers through lack of space have sold off all the books in their archives. :(

I know I don't often come in on posts, but I do read most and I followed the ones about the two books on ebay. I have the first four books myself and two of these were the ones on ebay. They are by far the commonest of the Cherrys books which get much scarcer (and more expensive!) as the series went on. This is often the case with many popular series, any collector will tell you that the later Biggles books cost a small fortune and the same applies to the William books. William the Lawless (the last book) is like gold dust, but books from the late 40s and early 50s are fairly common and shouldn't cost too much.
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Hodders owned Brockhampton then and still own them now, which is why they still publish the Secret Seven series which if you remember were also Brock Books, with similarly designed dustwrappers - one of the reasons why I started collecting the Cherrys books was that I liked those Lilian Buchanan dustwrappers. The bad news is that I know that all the original artwork from that period ended up in a skip as Hodders threw it all away. This of course included all the Famous Five dustwrappers! I know that one or two things got 'rescued' from the skip, but the bulk of artwork was destroyed. It is also true to say that most publishers through lack of space have sold off all the books in their archives. :(
Great to hear from you, Tony. Thanks for the [woeful] news....a plus that Brockhampton was part of H&S, but a negative that they've thrown out the original artwork, and possibly even their file copies of the books, so that they're likely not in a position to reprint Scott's 'Cherrys' series. There are times when I'd love to have a personal time machine to help minimise such problems.
Tony Summerfield wrote:I know I don't often come in on posts, but I do read most and I followed the ones about the two books on ebay. I have the first four books myself and two of these were the ones on ebay. They are by far the commonest of the Cherrys books which get much scarcer (and more expensive!) as the series went on. This is often the case with many popular series, any collector will tell you that the later Biggles books cost a small fortune and the same applies to the William books. William the Lawless (the last book) is like gold dust, but books from the late 40s and early 50s are fairly common and shouldn't cost too much.
We know that you're always working flat-out, Tony, and appreciate it when you can snatch a few moments to add your knowledge and experience to any discussion. You're dead right that trying to collect a full set of almost any book series [more than 20 years old] is *sigh* a frustrating, expensive, and long drawn-out hobby. I have to learn to live with the fact that :( there are holes in my collection which I'll likely never manage to fill. And if I had a house-fire or burglary there's simply no way :shock: that I could replace much of my book collection.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Aurélien wrote: Of course, if I lived in the UK I'd also be close enough to drop by Moonraker's place to guzzle some [make that lots] 8) of his beer.
And you would be more than welcome, old boy! I have already entertained a young lady from Bangladesh and another young lady from New Zealand (a Yahoo Group lurker), a gentleman and his family from the USA and a lady from Essex (well, no list is perfect! :wink: ), so another friend from Kiwiland would be warmly welcomed into the grounds of my humble stately home. :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:...and a lady from Essex (well, no list is perfect! :wink:)
:twisted:

You forgot to mention your fellow Salisburyite/Sarumite (what are those Salisbury inhabitants called?!)
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Moonraker wrote:...and a lady from Essex (well, no list is perfect! :wink:)
:twisted:

You forgot to mention your fellow Salisburyite/Sarumite (what are those Salisbury inhabitants called?!)
Pikeys? :? Yes, I didn't mention him, but I see so much of him, that I don't consider him a visitor! :D
Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Thanks, Moonraker....and if you could 8) smuggle me and my trusty
replicator/transposer-cum-mini-portal*
into a certain nearby book cave, my happiness would be complete......

That way I would have enough reading material to keep me out of [some] mischief whilst I wait out the swine 'flu at home, but, then, just possibly :( I lack sufficient storage space......

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’

* With its settings on max, otherwise known as 8)
  • 'one of every printed item Tony has got'.
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

• Woe! Woe! and thrice Woe!
We have reached the fourteenth and last of Will Scott's memorable 'Cherrys' series, supported by Lilian Buchanan's highly accurate maps, line-drawings, and coloured dustjackets,

In this :cry: final book, first published in 1965 - the year after Will Scott died - the usual suspects hit the trail in an attempt to rescue the mysterious 'Augustus' whom they believe to be imprisoned by an unknown villain, somewhere, anywhere.

And there :cry: we have to leave them for all time, unless H & S one day make the brave decision to reissue the series.....

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've been checking out the prices of these books, on EBAY and various others. They are quite expensive, I think it would be a lot cheaper if 'young' Aurelien flew a few over for me. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Ah, yes - Help Augustus. This brings back a distant memory. I borrowed this book from the library many years ago. I wonder what happened to that copy?
I know that some of the books I have bought from second-hand shops are ex-library books.

This thread is like a second "cave" with all these illustrations, thank you mate!