Who is your favourite author except Enid?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
lizzie farrel

Re: Who is your favourite author except Enid?

Post by lizzie farrel »

I enjoyed the 'Jill' books by Ruby Fergson(?)

Also the Anne of Green Gables series, Three investigators, Robert Burch, Louisa M. Alcott, etc

Later on I fell in love with Agatha Christie and Georgette Heyer - also enjoy Anne Perry and other British mystery authors.
dsr

Re: Who is your favourite author exept Enid?

Post by dsr »

There were two versions of the book "A Little Princess" - both by FH Burnett as far as I know, but one (which I presume was the original), was called "Sara Crewe, or What Happened at Miss Minchin's" and the other "A Little Princess". "Sara Crewe" is shorter than "A Little Princess", with fewer characters (Lottie isn't there, and there's much less of Becky).

As for the films, I've seen both, and both went a million miles off the plot. They're both decent films in their way, but neither of them is FH Burnett's tale. The BBC produced a 6-part series in the ?early 1980's which was much closer to the original.
DSR
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting that F. H. Burnett wrote two versions of A Little Princess, dsr. The story was obviously important to her if she took the trouble to rework it.

Thanks for the link, Susie. URLs are condensed automatically if they're too long but yours is fine.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tweenid
Favourite book/series: "Mystery" and "Adventure"
Favourite character: Bets

Post by Tweenid »

Here is a link to an interesting site that has audiobooks online for free download-books in the Public Domain.It includes the original "Sara Crewe" by Burnett and some other novels by her at:
http://librivox.org/newcatalog/search.p" target="_blank ... ion=Search
"Food always tastes SO much nicer out of doors!"
In my teens,I wanted to be Anne from the Famous Five.
In my twenties,I realised I was.
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

Tweenid wrote:I absolutely adore Frances Hodgson Burnett.One of my prize possessions is an 1888 edition of "Little Lord Fauntleroy",beautifully illustrated by Reginald Birch.The author is credited on the front as "Mrs F.H.Burnett" which always made me smile.
Its a thrilling book,though I still think "The Secret Garden" is better on the whole.
Me too. I think I have the same edition of "Little Lord Fauntleroy" as you. I've also got the original book of "A Little Princess", which was entitled "Sara Crewe". I've just listed it on ebay though, as I decided I liked the rewritten version better - I've just bought a copy from the Folio Society.
I love "The Secret Garden" as well and have a nice Folio Society copy of that too.
Rachel
Favourite book/series: Six Cousins/Malory Towers

Post by Rachel »

I'm afraid I can't narrow it down to a single author,so here's a list:
Malorie Blackman,Victor Hugo,Charles Dickens,Simon Williams,Jacqueline Wilson,Roald Dahl,Louise Rennison,Meg Cabot,J.K Rowling,Philip Pullman,Colin Dann,Gillian Cross,Michelle Magorian,Ann.M.Martin,Laura Ingalls Wilder.
Jack clutched at Philip,panic-stricken. "He's right.We're coming to a cataract!A gigantic underground waterfall!" -my favourite moment of the entire Adventure series!
Susie

Post by Susie »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: I believe there were earlier films/TV series as well, including one starring Shirley Temple, but I don't know whether those were any better.
Anita
I just watched it. it's well emotional and sweet all at the same time. It does not go according to the story though, but it was nice to watch. Obviously the original is 100x better, but this has Shirley Temple in it.
There is always something else new to learn.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's a pity it doesn't follow the original story but I'd like to see it myself one of these days.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Tweenid wrote:I absolutely adore Frances Hodgson Burnett.One of my prize possessions is an 1888 edition of "Little Lord Fauntleroy",beautifully illustrated by Reginald Birch.The author is credited on the front as "Mrs F.H.Burnett" which always made me smile.
Its a thrilling book,though I still think "The Secret Garden" is better on the whole.
I am catching up with this thread rather late in the day, but I don't know if anyone is familiar with the Dent Dutton series of illustrated children's classics. The series has over 100 titles in it and includes most of the well-known children's classics including the two mentioned above by Tweenid.

They are beautifully produced books which include colour plates by some top illustrators. I have about 40 of the books myself and I think one of their biggest advantages is that they can be picked up for modest prices - mostly less than the current price of a new paperback.

A brief listing of some of the authors you can find in this series includes:- Alcott, Ballantyne, Baum, Burnett, Carroll, Kingsley, MacDonald, Marryat, Nesbit, Norton, Sewell, Spyri, Stevenson, Twain and many others.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

well, for me that's definitely Norman Dale, another British childrens books author from the forties and fifties. His books are usually about two boys (Tim and Sidney) or two boys and a girl solving some mystery, just like Blyton.

There are two different trilogies:
1. The Exciting Journey (1947)
2. Mystery Christmas (1948)
3. Skeleton Island (1949)

I just finished reading "Skeleton Island" which has all the ingredients of a great Blyton book! Something to re-read in a few years. Great illustrations!

The "Exciting Journey" was published in Germany under the title "Ein Zelt, ein Rad und ein Kamerad" (A tent, a bicycle and a friend).

If you can get older editions, there are some great maps in 1. and 3.

Another trilogy for a younger than 10 year old audience (these three books also contain maps):
1. Secret Service (1943)
2. Dangerous Treasure (1944)
3. The Best Adventure (1945)

Dale also wrote a great and very suspenseful stand alone book for kids older than 10 or 11:
Clockwork Castle (1952) in German: Das Schloss des Erfinders (The Castle of the Inventor)

BTW I started a thread on Norman Dale in "Other Authors", but so far nobody has contributed a post. I assume Dale was less known in his native Great Britain than he was in Germany?

From what I remember, he was born in 1901 and between 1938 and 1971 he published 28 childrens books. Only 7 of them got a German translation.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I haven't heard of Norman Dale, but those titles sound intriguing.

My other favourite author is Agatha Christie, I think I've got all her books - I collected the 1990s versions. I've never felt any desire to try and get hold of 1st editions, which is probably just as well, as I have neither the space or the money. Although I was tempted to get the facsimile re-prints that have recently been issued. Again lack of space being the main reason for not doing so. Perhaps the reason I'm content with editions of the books is that apart from the change to 'And Then There Were None', as far as I know none of the books have been altered in any way, and as they don't contain illustrations, they haven't been updated either.
Society Member
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

Katharine wrote:apart from the change to 'And Then There Were None', as far as I know none of the books have been altered in any way, and as they don't contain illustrations, they haven't been updated either.
One oddity being different titles for the same book in the US. Pairs include Murder is Easy/Easy to Kill, 4:50 from Paddington/What Mrs McGillicuddy Saw, Sparkling Cyanide/Remembered Death, Taken at the Flood/There is a Tide and many others. The title changes seem quite pointless; indeed, I think the British titles capture the atmosphere better. It's also possible that the texts have been amended slightly. I intend to check when I get the chance.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

For me it has to be Agatha Christie also, and if I want an easy read which doesn't need any workings out, just a good everyday story, I love the books by Erica James.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
001flyD

Post by 001flyD »

Agatha Christie
Arthur Conan Doyle
Carolyn Keene (Pseudonym)
Franklin W. Dixon (Pseudonym)
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

001flyD wrote:Carolyn Keene (Pseudonym)
Franklin W. Dixon (Pseudonym)
I used to devour these in school! I assumed Keene and Dixon were the actual authors, and it wasn't until later that I realised the books were 'mass-produced' by a syndicate. The Three Investigators series was another favourite; it was rather better-plotted and better-written. At least the first dozen or so titles (by Robert Arthur) were especially good. The series began to go downhill after Death Trap Mine or so.