Les Misérables

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Rachel
Favourite book/series: Six Cousins/Malory Towers

Les Misérables

Post by Rachel »

Has anyone else read it? I'm currently reading it for the second time and I love it.Absolutely love it.So well written, such great characters, such a brilliant story.My favourite characters are Javert,Enjolras and Eponine,but I really like nearly all of them.The only thing I don't like is all the fighting,because I'm squeamish.

I love the musical too, but it was reading the book that made me see it, and I know it's the other way round for a lot of people so I may be a bit weird there. :wink:
Jack clutched at Philip,panic-stricken. "He's right.We're coming to a cataract!A gigantic underground waterfall!" -my favourite moment of the entire Adventure series!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Les Misérables

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've never read the book (I must get round to it one of these days) but I love the musical and have been to see it twice.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I've seen the musical (in Sydney when on holiday there, but starring New Zealand's Rob Guest), and I also have the book, with my copy being a Signet Classics paperback. It's a massive tome (something like 1,200 pages!), but a gripping read, no doubt about that. In spite of its size, I got through it without too much difficulty. Victor Hugo does seem to be rather fond of lengthy authorial monologues that I thought sometimes got in the way of the story a little bit, but I still loved it and recommend it very highly.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I enjoyed it, but some of the female characters were such drips! Eponine (Marius? zzzz) and Cosette (a passive aggressive Violet Elizabeth Bott without the laughs) especially, though I retain a certain fondness for poor old gummy Fantine. And I like Jean Valjean. He has too much misery heaped upon him for you to not break in his favour eventually.

Javert is such an interesting study, and the best thing about the book.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
dsr

Post by dsr »

I read an abridged version, and that was 600+ pages. These 18th century readers must have had some patience. (Probably spent a lot less time on message boards :D )

Well worth a re-read, if I ever get time. Maybe when I retire.
DSR
munin
Favourite book/series: Five find- outers
Favourite character: Fatty Trotteville / Bets Hilton

Post by munin »

Read it last year over Easter and really enjoyed it; very well written. Javert is a lot funnier in the book than he seems in the films or the musical; love the bit where he walks in on Thenadier and Claquseux (sp?) when they are trying to escape and offers them his hat.
But must admit that I found Cosette really irritating and Marius a complete drip (still a lovable drip).
I also knew the musical before the book and the book really helped me to understand it.