The Diary of Anne Frank

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

The Diary of Anne Frank

Post by Almas »

That's one of my favorite books of all time. I really cannot resist reading The Diary of Anne Frank at least twice each year! Anne Frank, the most famous of all Holocaust victims has really touched the world.

Her diary is wonderfully written. She has expressed all her thoughts and I read the book - I just think that they are pouring out of her heart. It really is a masterpiece. I love it.

I first came in contact with Anne Frank, when I spotted a new, 2001 edition of the diary. I couldn't resisit purchasing it. Although, it was quite long (380+ pages) I managed to read it whole in less than a week. It also included a short biography and I couldn't help releasing a tear when I heard about her terrible fate.

Till now, my "Anne Frank" collection has really grew over the years. I own a large hardback edition from the late 60's, the new 2001 edition and a 1950 edition, written entirely in Dutch which I really treasure.

My mother was able to buy me the old motion picture The Diary of Anne Frank (released in 1959) on a rather cheap prize from eBay.

What really surprises that nowadays the cost for this movie has suddenly moved to £300 or more on internet auction websites! :shock:

Any fellow Anne Frank fans here? :D

Almas
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: The Diary of Anne Frank

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've read The Diary of Anne Frank (an English translation) five or six times. A sad but courageous account of life in hiding. In 1990 I visited Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam and it was a very moving experience. There were still magazine pictures stuck on the walls of Anne's bedroom, which she had cut out and put there herself. It was also possible to see the chestnut tree which Anne loved so much, though I heard recently that the tree is now diseased and will have to be cut down.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I'm an Anne Frank fan. I first studied The Diary of Anne Frank in 5th form English (that's O-level English for those in the UK). Nowadays, the 5th form is called Year 11 in New Zealand. I got 100% in the assignment I did on the book, which I was very proud of. My own book collection includes two English Anne Frank paperbacks. One is just called The Diary of Anne Frank, while the other is a more recent version called Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl, which includes some bits that had previously been omitted. In addition to these, I have the rather fascinating "sequel", The Last Seven Months of Anne Frank, by Willy Lindwer. If you haven't got that, I highly recommend it. It contains interviews with six women who knew Anne Frank during her last days in German concentration camps, and provides some fascinating (and at times, horrific) insights into what her life must have been like in those awful places.

The original diary is fascinating both as a compelling real-life story and as what historians call a "primary document". In short, it's highly absorbing on a number of levels. I also like it for another reason - I keep a diary myself and have done since 1990. (I fear that the contents of my diaries are a good deal less interesting than Anne Frank's, but perhaps if I become a famous literary translator - well, I can dream! - literary historians will find bits of interest if they read through them in 50 years' time or whatever.)

Anyway, I would definitely recommend Anne Frank's diary to anyone who hasn't read it - a pretty exciting, if somewhat sad, real-life story!
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I gotta read it sometime. I haven't got a copy of the book (and they're hard to find here), but my friend has one - and she said it was so interesting that we have all lined up to borrow the book!! As yet, my turn hasn't come. :roll:

Society Member
Almas

Post by Almas »

Hope you get it soon, Ming!
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Almas

Post by Almas »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I've read The Diary of Anne Frank (an English translation) five or six times. A sad but courageous account of life in hiding. In 1990 I visited Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam and it was a very moving experience. There were still magazine pictures stuck on the walls of Anne's bedroom, which she had cut out and put there herself. It was also possible to see the chestnut tree which Anne loved so much, though I heard recently that the tree is now diseased and will have to be cut down.

Anita
Ooooooh! Wow Anita. I envy you! I would love to visit her house. Could you tell me more? Please Antia. I badly want to more. Please!

Alams

Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

I've read it many times too. It's something I think everyone should read as it really brings the horrors of war home to us.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I read it and watched the video, when I was very young we had to do a project on her. I think I was 9 years old, (class 4-5)
We had a good teacher who explained to us everything, we all felt so sorry for her, and angry at the man who told on them. That is all Iremember, I must read it again, the last I read it was when I was a kid.
There is always something else new to learn.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Almas:]I would love to visit her house. Could you tell me more?
You've probably seen pictures of the secret annexe, at the back of a tall house in Amsterdam. The rooms were plainly-furnished and Anne Frank's diary was on display as well as letters and other writings, and photos. There was a sad, claustrophobic feeling to the place but at the same time I kept thinking of how spirited and determined Anne was, despite everything.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Almas

Post by Almas »

Thanks Anita! I agree with you :)

Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

I have read the diary several times, both as a child and an adult. As a child I didn't really understand the context - I knew that this family was in hiding and that eventually all but one of them died but I had no understanding of Nazism and the holocaust. Reading it as a teenager, with more of an understanding of context, was especially poignant.

I don't want to get off topic but it's quite extraordinary to me the things that some human beings will do to others - in the name of a pathetic, evil ideology which is a mere front for their depraved natures.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Silky-Elf
Favourite book/series: Faraway Tree
Favourite character: Silky and Moonface
Location: Tunisia (but I have now moved to The Enchanted Wood!)

Post by Silky-Elf »

i dont want to read the diary because my parents say that jews are not good.
Moose

Post by Moose »

Then your parents are perpetuating the horrendous mentality that led to Anne and her family - and several million other people - being massacred.

I can tell that you're young Silky but I would urge you to develop your own opinions and not rely on those of other people. Jews are human beings, the same as Muslims, Christians, Hindus, atheists ... all of us are human. Please, don't grow up with the sort of prejudices that ended Anne Frank's life.
Time to die.

EF
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Reading Silky's post sent shivers of horror down my back.
I know she's only 9 years old, and Moose's reply post was good advise. I too read the Diary of Anne Frank when I was young, we had to read it for the course we were doing, at secondary school in the early sixties, against the horrors of war etc.

I think the horrors of war should be taught in all schools. Anne Frank was a very brave young lady, and must have suffered terribly in the camp, away from her parents. A very moving book indeed.
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moose

Post by Moose »

Anti-semitism is a terrible thing, and something that has existed for hundred or even thousands of years. Hitler was not creating a 'new' prejudice; Hitler was enforcing a prejudice that had been there for all of recorded history. Silky, unknowingly and I am quite sure without having really thought about it thoroughly (which, if she is the age she says she is is fair enough.. though I wonder) is enforcing that centuries old prejudice. It's because of mentalities like that that these things happen, that otherwise decent people sit by and twiddle their thumbs and roll their eyes and do nothing whilst they do.
Time to die.

EF