Just William Books by Richmal Crompton

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Just William Books by Richmal Crompton

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Selecting "Topic titles only" is helpful for some searches.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks, I typed "William" and "Just William..." came up in 9th place. Would have thought it would have been the first suggestion, but that's robots for you. At least it was on the first page.
Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

It's a good few years now since I read the story, "William and the Nasties", but I had a similar impression of it to Viv. To me, the story is not promoting or endorsing anti-Semitism, but using humour to show that it's a bad thing. I think it's rather a shame the story was omitted from later editions. It could have still been included, maybe with a note at the start to explain the context. In a way, I am reminded of how some people wanted to ban Fawlty Towers because there's a scene where Basil is making fun of Germans ("Don't mention the war" and all that - a bit ironic considering the story we're discussing!). But as John Cleese himself pointed out, the purpose of that scene is to mock bigotry by showing just how ridiculous it is. In order to send up bigotry though, you kind of have to show people acting bigoted. But you also have to do it in a way that makes it clear you're mocking the bigotry and not the target of the bigotry. (This is what people who want to "cancel" TV shows and books like this don't get.) Which I think that Fawlty Towers scene does very well, and I also believe that Richmal Crompton does it reasonably well in this story. Given that the Nazis are referred to as "Nasties", I think it's plain she wasn't on their side!
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero