sweet valley high

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Katy

Post by Katy »

Sweet Valley, Sweet Valley Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh Hiighiiighhh!
I loved Sweet Valley High, I always wanted a little red jeep like they had and to be 16. I had the 'Secret Diaries', they were brilliant. But I just remember Todd in the TV series being so ugly and wondering why Liz was with him. Jess was best. Ahh, reminiscing! I don't think there's anything wrong with them, I loved all that American teen goo, Clueless was brilliant too. But I was about 9 when it was all out so all I wanted to be was an American teenager!
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Heh Clueless was actually a very clever parody of Jane Austen's Emma which surprisingly, translated rather well to early nineties LA :D
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Katy

Post by Katy »

Yeah, but Emma didn't have those brilliant knee socks and a computerised wardrobe did it now?! Those will win everytime! How's those reviews Moose?
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Re: sweet valley high

Post by hope189 »

I've read Sweet valley and I absolutely disliked those books. The book makes it look like the only problems in a teenager's world are those concerning clothes, boys and being popular. But, I like 'Sweet sixteen'!( Go figure!)
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

I suspect that life in an affluent Californian family as a teenager is prolly rather different to life anywhere else :). Certainly I could not identify with the characters at all, even though they were my 'generation' in a way that Blyton's schoolgirls were not. But I identified with Blyton's characters much more!
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Never read Sweet Valley High but was a huge Judy blume fan from about 11yo onwards (when her books first became known in Australia). In fact, I would probably divide my childhood into the Enid Blyton and the Judy Blume phases. :D
Yak

Post by Yak »

I liked Blume too. Her books were very different from Blyton's - much more 'raw' and they dealt with 'issues' - but I found them very helpful and comforting in a way when I was growing up. She had a good understanding of the things that teenagers go through I think.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I read a few Judy Blume books at the age of 12 - 14 and must admit I found them depressing. The characters came across as self-absorbed and full of anxiety about growing up and even something like starting one's periods was made to seem like a major hurdle. Whenever I read a Judy Blume book, I was left with the impression that becoming an adult was something frightening and overwhelming (rather than something that happened gradually, bit by bit, and was a perfectly natural part of life.)

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Post by hope189 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I read a few Judy Blume books at the age of 12 - 14 and must admit I found them depressing. The characters came across as self-absorbed and full of anxiety about growing up and even something like starting one's periods was made to seem like a major hurdle. Whenever I read a Judy Blume book, I was left with the impression that becoming an adult was something frightening and overwhelming (rather than something that happened gradually, bit by bit, and was a perfectly natural part of life.)

Anita
I absolutely agree with you, Anita.
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
Yak

Post by Yak »

Well, I found them helpful :) Maybe just me.
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

I don't think I can express how much I dislike the Sweet Valley series in all it's guises! Sickly sweet American perfectionist at it's best. Or worst. I've never seen "Clueless" and I doubt I will as I don't care for Jane Austen at all!

I remember Judy Blume (Blubber, Are You There God, It's Me Margaret come to mind!) but I never really identified with Judy Blume, probably because it was American and I've grown up in England. Some stuff may be international like menarche, but there was something missing for me in Judy Blume.

I've since found that a lot stuff that was meant to guide teenagers through rites of passage and typical teenage concerns was often irrelevant to me or I didn't connect with it at all. Not because I didn't have the problem, but because the problem in question wasn't the same as mine somehow.

I still find that as an adult - popular media either doesn't hold my interest at all or just holds no relevance to my life.