Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Re: Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Post by 7upromana01 »

I went to Kings Cross and went to Platform 9&3/4! You now have to cue though! On a good note, you get given a scarf to wear for the photo (being true to my house, I chose Hufflepuff) and the trolley looks like this:
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
honesty
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Blyton vs Rowling

Post by honesty »

Who do think is better, Enid Blyton or J. K Rowling?

They're both great authors but who do you like better :?:
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Re: Blyton vs Rowling

Post by Francis »

Enid produced a huge variety of different characters and series aimed at a variety of age groups and the ability to bo concised and restrained. J.K.'s books are perhaps too long and somewhat overblown but are brilliant examples of the fantasy genre. I give first place to Enid but really they are not competing with each other.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I don't see how/why they need to be compared as both write in different genres. JKR wrote seven HP books, EB wrote over 700 books. I loved the HP series, but never felt any connection with Enid's books.
Society Member
7upromana01

Post by 7upromana01 »

I have to say, I do love J.K.Rowling better than Enid Blyton. But I still do love Enid Blyton. Enid Blyton is my favourite overall but Harry Potter is my favourite series. Comprende?

(Plug time coming up)

That's why I done Five Go To Hogwarts! I done it because I wanted to combine my two favourite series! See it now on World of Blyton!
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

honesty

Post by honesty »

Good idea 7up!!!
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
secretbear27
Favourite book/series: malory towers
Favourite character: Darrel and Felicity Rivers!

Post by secretbear27 »

At my school we have different colour houses and we name our houses from harry potter!!I am Ravenclaw! :roll:
I have always liked Enid!If I could choose one author to come back to life it would be her!
Moonraker

Re: Houses

Post by Moonraker »

We had five houses, each named after a river that runs through the city.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

We had four houses each named after an English forest: Arden, Dean, Epping, and Sherwood. Goodness knows why a school in Wales should choose them!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

We had three houses named after local hills - Craigowl, Law and Balgay. Not as cool as the Harry Potter houses, but at least nobody really cared which house they ended up in. I can imagine fights over ending up a Hufflepuff (poor Hufflepuffs, nobody seems to like that house - except me and Abi we're proud Hufflepuffs!)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

We had four houses, named after prominent religious figures:- Newman, Gwyn, More and Campion.
Society Member
7upromana01

Post by 7upromana01 »

Fiona1986 wrote:We had three houses named after local hills - Craigowl, Law and Balgay. Not as cool as the Harry Potter houses, but at least nobody really cared which house they ended up in. I can imagine fights over ending up a Hufflepuff (poor Hufflepuffs, nobody seems to like that house - except me and Abi we're proud Hufflepuffs!)
I think Hufflepuff is the best house. Most other houses brag about their bravery, cleverness or are just sly. We are proud of the real things that make good friends.

PS: I am not being prejudice to other houses: I still would be proud to be a Gryffindor, Ravenclaw or a Slytherin.
Abi.

Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

We don't have houses or anything at my school - every grade has 3 sections. From Playgroup to Grade 2 we had Buttercup, Ladybird and Magpie (somehow I was always in either Ladybird or Magpie over the 6 years), from Grades 3 to 6 the sections were A, B and C (I was always in A - random sorting!!) and from grades 7 to 12 we were numbered 1, 2 and 3. I was always in 3. That HAS to be record. :lol:

And on Pottermore I'm a proud Slytherin, though it's been a while since I've been on Pottermore.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Hufflepuffs are good people and rather unsung.

I did start playing Pottermore again recently, and spent a whole afternoon trying to make a potion to get into Snape's potion store. Eventually I succeeded, got into the store, and gained more ingredients to make an even harder potion :cry:. IMHO potion making is TOO HARD!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
honesty

Post by honesty »

Same here Ming! I don't go on Pottermore very often only when I' bored...
But I got sorted out into Gryffindor. Share the genes as Harry Potter then!!!