Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Re: Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Post by Darrell71 »

Hmm.. can anyone give me a link to this Pottermore thing?
You can call me Sunskriti!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

http://www.pottermore.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I guess you are signing up Sunskriti? :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

I'll see! Thanks for the link Fiona!
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

When will I get into a house?
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

You need to play through the first few scenes and once you're at Hogwarts there's a sorting ceremony.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

You might be better off discussing this on the Harry Potter forums!
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I was home early today, so I went to a second-ahand local shop. I was delighted to see the last 5 DVDs of the Harry Potter films and bought them together for 10€ - which is quite fair considering the fact that the last three films haven't been shown on German Free TV yet. There also was a book of the complete oeuvre of Shakespeare, and as they asked 1€ for it, I didn't resist much and bought it. I wish it had been a book about Enid Blyton's complete work though :-(.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A good haul, Wolfgang. In the late spring/early summer I watched all eight Harry Potter films on DVD in the space of a few weeks - it's fun to watch them in quick succession and see how things develop. There are a few continuity issues (Hagrid's hut changes location, for example) but on the whole I consider the filming impressive and I love the look of Hogwarts and various other settings. Goblet of Fire is my favourite film with the tension of the three tasks, the transformation of Hermione at the ball and the chilling final scenes. I'm pleased Hermione's obsession with the house-elves is downplayed in the film(s), as I find that part dull when reading the book(s). Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2 are also brilliant. Part 1 is wonderfully intense and intimate, really pared down, while Part 2 brings everyone back "on stage" and is full of action and spectacle.

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite book because it's so laced with surprises but the film of that is disappointing as it misses out some key explanations regarding things like the marauder's map. I re-read the whole series in the summer and was amazed at how absolutely spot-on the casting of some of the characters was - especially Snape, Hagrid and Professor McGonagall (but then Maggie Smith is never any less than excellent).

Has anyone else been on the Harry Potter Studio Tour at the Leavesden Studios, Watford? The tour isn't cheap but you do get a great deal for your money, with oodles of sets, props, costumes and animatronic characters from all eight films on display, as well as drawings and models. Walking along Diagon Alley was particularly thrilling for me and I also loved the Great Hall, the Weasleys' kitchen, the Gryffindor Common Room, Dumbledore's study, Dolores Umbridge's office, the Ministry of Magic and Hagrid's hut. It took about four hours to complete the tour and there were numerous "Wow" moments.

As far as Shakespeare is concerned, I prefer to read the plays individually rather than in a "complete works" volume because the individual editions generally have larger writing and useful commentary!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Goblet of Fire is my favourite film with the tension of the three tasks, the transformation of Hermione at the ball and the chilling final scenes... Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2 are also brilliant. Part 1 is wonderfully intense and intimate, really pared down, while Part 2 brings everyone back "on stage" and is full of action and spectacle.

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite book because it's so laced with surprises but the film of that is disappointing as it misses out some key explanations regarding things like the marauder's map. I re-read the whole series in the summer and was amazed at how absolutely spot-on the casting of some of the characters was - especially Snape, Hagrid and Professor McGonagall (but then Maggie Smith is never any less than excellent).

As far as Shakespeare is concerned, I prefer to read the plays individually rather than in a "complete works" volume because the individual editions generally have larger writing and useful commentary!
Agreed, I feel Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire the movie and the book were the best in my opinion, amongst the Harry Potter series. Deathly Hallows Part I was also great. i guess in Hallow I, J.K. Rowling was perhaps trying to win an Oscar since she borrowed some aspects from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.
As for Shakespeare, though I have read several of them, it has been decades since I have concentrated on reading his plays. I read Coriolanus (sp?) for my O-Levels and Anthony and Cleaopatra for my A-Levels.
Stephen I.
Lawrie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find-Outers, Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy, Alicia, Fatty and Bets

Post by Lawrie »

The Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite book too. I thought the film of Goblet of Fire was very good and, unusually, a great improvement on the book which is the one I like least - all that Quidditch at the beginning puts me to sleep, though as ten year olds, my son and his friends thought that was the best part.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Books don't win Oscars, and J.K. Rowling did not write the Deathly Hallows in two parts.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

I got the complete series at Christmas so I am re-reading them! My favorite book is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows because it's just well... amazing! My favorite film is Deathly Hallows Part 2.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Fiona1986 wrote:Books don't win Oscars, and J.K. Rowling did not write the Deathly Hallows in two parts.
Thanks for that correction Fiona. What I meant to say was that J.K. Rowling may have written Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows with an intention of the subsequent film of the book seriously contending for some Oscar awards.
Stephen I.
honesty
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Post by honesty »

I've read all of the books and watched all of the movies. Favourite movie would be Deathly Hallows part 1& 2. Favourite book would be DeathlyHallows.
JKR is such a good writer.
I think I'll go and read some Tolkien though
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton