Book protectors

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Book protectors

Post by Paul Greaves »

Hello. I’m not sure if this is the right place for this question but… I’m looking for somewhere that sells the covers for dust jackets. I have several that need covers and not sure where’s best. Also, has anyone here done any research into the sizes required?
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Re: Book protectors

Post by Judith Crabb »

I have a lot of books. I buy 100m rolls of plastic (polypropylene), clear gloss and cut the sheet to size. I buy a tall one 450mm (or 18 inches). On the cheaper book jackets I use a '90 micron' plastic, on more collectable, 50 m rolls '60 micron'.
If Aussie Sue reads this she could give you details of an archival quality product she uses - very good.
Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

I used to get rolls of the stuff that libraries use. The plastic sheet with brown paper sheet connected at the top of the roll.

I then covered them myself, cutting off the roll to size and ensuring no damage to the cover or the book including no sticky-tape attached directly to either. Some of my books and their covers are still in pristine condition, 30 or 40 years after I first started doing this.

I had to buy it from the best stationery supply shop in my city but I presume you could buy it online now. The rolls are heavy though so I imagine postal charges might be high.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I buy my dustwrapper protection online usually, there are plenty of choices.
Society Member