Visiting Peterswood

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Chindu

Visiting Peterswood

Post by Chindu »

I am planning to visit Bourne End this week, and I wondered if there were any specific sites that you might suggest? I am not sure if the Old Thatch is still open to public (?), and I also understand the Red Lion has lost the Enid Blyton room. I wondered if anyone familiar with Bourne End might be able to offer any insights? Is there an Enid Blyton 'walk' that one could take? And also: is the Green Hedges model in Bekonscot still there? Apologies for the many questions!
Splodj

Re: Visiting Peterswood

Post by Splodj »

You may already know this, but on Duncan McLaren's website he has maps for each mystery book showing where he thinks things happened.

https://www.enidblyton.me.uk/styled-7/index.html
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Old Thatch was sold and is no longer open to the public, but you can walk past and may be able to get a glimpse in through the hedge.

I love the riverside path that starts at the bottom of Coldmoorholme Lane, heading left. It is somewhere that you could absolutely believe you’d see the Find-Outers up ahead any moment.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I would love to go there and see a fat boy wearing a red wig.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Chindu wrote: 12 Sep 2022, 19:14 And also: is the Green Hedges model in Bekonscot still there? Apologies for the many questions!
According to the Wikipedia entry about the village, Green Hedges is still there.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Barnard wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 08:24 I would love to go there and see a fat boy wearing a red wig.
There's an idea for a Society meet-up...
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Chindu

Post by Chindu »

Splodj wrote: 12 Sep 2022, 23:20 You may already know this, but on Duncan McLaren's website he has maps for each mystery book showing where he thinks things happened.

https://www.enidblyton.me.uk/styled-7/index.html

Thank you so much -- what an invaluable site! I am dipping in and out between work!
Chindu

Post by Chindu »

Barnard wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 08:24 I would love to go there and see a fat boy wearing a red wig.
I can't promise the sight of Fatty in the butcher boy disguise, Barnard, but happy to post pictures from Bourne End, if that helps!
Chindu

Post by Chindu »

Daisy wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 09:52
Chindu wrote: 12 Sep 2022, 19:14 And also: is the Green Hedges model in Bekonscot still there? Apologies for the many questions!
According to the Wikipedia entry about the village, Green Hedges is still there.
Thank you, Daisy. I also got a message back from Bekonscot folks to say the same. In case anyone else might find it useful, this is what they said:

Yes, Greenhedges is a permanent part of the Model Village. It can be easily found as there is a plaque beside it and a few recognisable characters in the garden! Also look out for Enid herself sat with her typewriter on her lap, her favourite way to write.
Chindu

Post by Chindu »

Fiona1986 wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 08:18 Old Thatch was sold and is no longer open to the public, but you can walk past and may be able to get a glimpse in through the hedge.

I love the riverside path that starts at the bottom of Coldmoorholme Lane, heading left. It is somewhere that you could absolutely believe you’d see the Find-Outers up ahead any moment.
Thank you, Fiona. That sounds like a logical place to start. :D
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 10:08
There's an idea for a Society meet-up...
Why am I suddenly imagining a dozen or so people of various heights, ages and sizes sneaking around Bourne End in red wigs? :lol: Last one to be caught by Goon wins!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

In all honesty, I thought Bourne End was a bit of a dump. I much preferred Well End, where Old Thatch is situated in Coldmoorholme Lane. A lovely spot that leads down to the Thames. I seem to remember a bench somewhere near that had the name, Daisy, fixed on a plate.
Society Member
Chindu

Post by Chindu »

I saw your message just now, @Moonraker. So I missed the bench! Here's a Twitter 'live' thread (with photos) on my visit, though, if anyone would like to see how things are today in Peterswood. It's still ongoing, and will finish this today/tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Chindu/status/1572214825312309248
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

I suppose the inn was called 'Ye Ferry' when Fatty stayed there and the ferry was still in operation, which of course the FFO used. I see there is another inn on the other side of the Thames, which perhaps is where the ferry went to, only accessible by boat or on foot.