Chunky Wooden Peg Jigsaw Puzzle - info?

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
DinahCat

Chunky Wooden Peg Jigsaw Puzzle - info?

Post by DinahCat »

Hello

I have this jigsaw Im trying to ID and potentially sell on behalf of a friend. We are unsure about age but looks like an older piece.

I have tried Google Lens and trawled ebay but cant find anything similar.

Does anyone have any ideas on it please?

Best wishes
DinahCat

free image hosting
Catbury

Re: Chunky Wooden Peg Jigsaw Puzzle - info?

Post by Catbury »

Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Chunky Wooden Peg Jigsaw Puzzle - info?

Post by Courtenay »

Hi DinahCat,

I can't help with identifying where it came from, but for its age I would guess 1970s. It's very, very similar to a wooden peg puzzle we had when I was little — not Noddy or any specific brand, just with people, a house, trees, animals etc. in a sort of little farm scene — and that was definitely made in the mid- to late '70s, as it belonged to my older sister first and she was born in 1978. The style and colours of the Noddy puzzle (and even the lettering) also look "typical '70s" to me — and the golliwog would definitely have been allowable in the 1970s but controversial by the '80s and banned by the '90s. (I remember the "new editions" of the Noddy books coming out in the early 1990s, with all gollies duly removed.)

As to what company made this particular puzzle, how common or rare it is, and how much it should sell for, I've got no idea how you could find that out, sorry. But I hope you do find some answers and I'd be interested to hear if you do — I'm sure others here would too. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)