English Heritage

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Tony Summerfield

English Heritage

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am a bit surprised that nobody has noticed the latest 'woke' outburst, this time by English Heritage with EB firmly in their sights. I have had seven requests for interviews so far today, all through the website but I haven't replied to any as that would give them my personal email address as opposed to the Society one.
Katharine

Re: English Heritage

Post by Katharine »

I'm a member of English Heritage, but haven't seen anything regarding Enid Blyton.

I'm not sure I dare ask what they've said.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I've just seen this on the Independent online where English Heritage charge Enid as been racist and xenophobic. The usual references to words that will have the political correct brigade screeching and wailing, demanding all the blue plaques are removed. Refreshing to see Richard Madeley sticking up for Enid though.
I'm not a member of English Heritage and after their latest attack on a much-loved author, neither will I become one.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

A couple of years ago I set myself the task of visiting every single English Heritage task. An unlikely ambition, which Covid restrictions have made even harder. However, I won't let whatever they've said about Enid Blyton put me off trying to achieve my goal.

I haven't read what was said, but if it was the usual kind of comment, then I feel that English Heritage themselves may find they have a dilemma, as no doubt many of their properties, treasures etc have overtones of attitudes that wouldn't be considered acceptable today. So maybe they should boycott themselves?
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... itage.html

This is the daily Mail article. I will no longer be supporting English Heritage either. What a load of “woke” nonsense. :evil:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

In fairness, the actual English Heritage site doesn't really say much against her, it seems to have been expanded by the Daily Mail.

The Daily Mail quotes the Enid Blyton Society - I wonder who they are actually quoting, and if they have permission to use it?
Society Member
Ice_Gemz
Favourite book/series: The Folk of The Faraway Tree

Post by Ice_Gemz »

I wonder if they will revise all of their articles around Blue Plaques, and why this one is prevalent enough to publish in the news? I'm sure there are many people who have these memorials, but who have very murky pasts that won't be publicised.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I saw a mention of this on the Jeremy Vine show this morning when they commented on the headlines. Not much was said there, but on the GBNews channel it was reported in more detail and while golliwogs and The Black Doll were mentioned, a commentator really sprang to her defence - saying that she was born in 1897 and of course the world she knew was vastly different from ours in 2021. He broadened his remarks to include other famous people who are now being vilified for their views which were the accepted attitudes of their day. I thought he made a good case.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Katharine wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 16:49The Daily Mail quotes the Enid Blyton Society - I wonder who they are actually quoting, and if they have permission to use it?

They seem to have taken quotations directly from the forums, from old posts. I suppose it's legal, though there's a real risk of misrepresenting people when quotations are taken out of context in that way.

I find it sad that Enid Blyton has been branded a racist on the strength of a handful of stories. We know from her magazine editorials that she rejoiced in her global "family", welcoming readers from around the world and feeling happy that her books were loved in so many countries. For many years she also encouraged her readers to raise money for a children's home that took in youngsters of all races.

On their website, English Heritage talk of Enid Blyton having been accused of "racism, xenophobia and lack of literary merit" (an appraisal made by Macmillan reader and theatre historian Phyllis Hartnoll, who was responsible for the rejection of The Mystery That Never Was in 1960). English Heritage then mention the Royal Mint advisory committee deciding not to issue a special 50p coin commemorating Enid Blyton in 2016 because of her being "a racist, sexist, homophobe and not a very well-regarded writer."

Here's the relevant piece from the English Heritage website:

RACISM IN BLYTON’S WORK

Blyton’s work has been criticised during her lifetime and after for its racism, xenophobia and lack of literary merit. A 1966 Guardian article noted the racism of The Little Black Doll (1966), in which the doll of the title, Sambo, is only accepted by his owner once his ‘ugly black face’ is washed ‘clean’ by rain. In 1960 the publisher Macmillan refused to publish her story The Mystery That Never Was for what it called its ‘faint but unattractive touch of old-fashioned xenophobia’. The book, however, was later published by William Collins.

In 2016, Blyton was rejected by the Royal Mint for commemoration on a 50p coin because, the advisory committee minutes record, she was ‘a racist, sexist, homophobe and not a very well-regarded writer’. Others have argued that while these charges can’t be dismissed, her work still played a vital role in encouraging a generation of children to read.

What prompted the accusation of homophobia, I don't know! The only possibility that occurs to me is that someone from the Royal Mint advisory committee accidentally wrote "homophobe" instead of "xenophobe" and the error never got corrected! Not that I would call Enid Blyton either a homophobe or a xenophobe. Mafumu in The Secret Mountain is a black boy who makes firm friends with white children Jack, Peggy, Mike, Nora and Paul. He is presented as intelligent, resourceful, cheerful, fun, brave and a probable future leader, and he plays a full part in the adventure. There is a natural harmony between all the children that is a pleasure to see. As she was writing for a young audience, Enid Blyton didn't dwell on romantic relationships. However, in her school stories we see girls looking up to and even worshipping classmates, older girls or female members of staff and there is no suggestion that adoring a person of one's own sex is wrong - only that one should be wary of worshipping another person blindly.

It's rather disturbing that English Heritage are willing to label Enid Blyton as racist, homophobic, etc. on their website on the basis of comments from a few critics. If English Heritage had a thorough knowledge of her work they'd realise that they're doing her an injustice. Sadly, it seems the way of the world these days to brand people on the say-so of others, instead of investigating properly for oneself.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I had seen this earlier. As usual the newspapers online have run with sensationalist headlines making it seem as if EH has called EB those things themselves and are potentially going to remove her blue plaques.

As above the truth is that they have merely added some "context" and further information about the mostly legitimate modern concerns about some of her works. They've also said that no plaques will be removed.

While it would be nice if the defence was stronger than the attack on their website I don't see the need to be foaming at the mouth (not accusing anyone here of that - but given some of the Facebook comments you'd think they'd exhumed her bones and urinated on them...)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I noticed this news story early this morning, it's the usual stuff and I couldn't be bothered to comment or post a link, but I think Anita has hit the nail on the head with the homophobe/xenophobe question.
Last edited by Kate Mary on 17 Jun 2021, 22:14, edited 2 times in total.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Fiona1986 wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 20:23...given some of the Facebook comments you'd think they'd exhumed her bones and urinated on them...
Enid Blyton was cremated rather than buried, but even if it were possible I don't think that exhuming her bones and urinating on them would be worse. Branding someone "racist" and "homophobic" is much worse in my opinion, especially when that person wrote books which, on the whole, promoted inclusivity.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Wow, I've just skimmed through the English Heritage page on Facebook, and it seemed to be full of comments that were either in praise of Enid Blyton's books or at least saying that her writings should be viewed in the context of the time they were written.

I see it's now an item on the BBC website, with a comment that Rudyard Kipling has also had his page amended - pity the articles didn't focus more on him rather than Enid Blyton.

I was also disappointed with English Heritage's page about Enid, no mention of the charities she supported, the fact that her nature stories etc were widely used by teachers in schools etc.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

It's good to hear about the remarks on the Facebook page, Katharine.

I meant to say earlier that today's Telegraph (which I don't think is available online unless you're a subscriber) has an article on this story by Craig Simpson, followed by a commentary by Claire Allfree.

Craig Simpson's piece includes a "Controversial characters" segment that talks about the Wishing-Chair books featuring "an imp-like character called Ch---y". Yes, that's how it's written in the article, with dashes replacing some of the letters! The character being referred to is actually a pixie called Chinky, though I believe his name has been altered to Binky in recent editions. There's no reason at all to think that his name has anything to do with a racial slur. I expect it has more to do with him being little and fitting through small openings (chinks)! I'm reminded of a newspaper story I once read about someone getting into serious trouble at work for using the word "niggardly"!

In her commentary, Claire Allfree states that "Blyton was undeniably racist." However, she argues that that shouldn't "diminish her significance as a writer" and explains that "This isn't some plea to whitewash Blyton... Rather it's to argue for the worth of a writer - any writer - over and above the attitudes they may have held that we find offensive." 

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 20:56
Fiona1986 wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 20:23...given some of the Facebook comments you'd think they'd exhumed her bones and urinated on them...
Enid Blyton was cremated rather than buried, but even if it were possible I don't think that exhuming her bones and urinating on them would be worse. Branding someone "racist" and "homophobic" is much worse in my opinion, especially when that person wrote books which, on the whole, promoted inclusivity.
That was just a (probably made up) figure of speech. English Heritage haven’t called Blyton anything. They’ve just reported that others have criticised her for things. And to be honest, there are racist elements in some of her books. Most likely unintentionally - I believe she was a product of her time, and of course she wrote many positive black characters, too.

A balanced opinion, or recognising some of the ‘problematic’ words, phrases or ideas in anyone’s work isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member