Would Kirrin Island be big enough to live on?

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Would Kirrin Island be big enough to live on?

Post by pete9012S »

You have all the money from the ingots. You can choose any decade you like, 40's 50''s 60's etc etc.

Could you live on Kirrin Island? Would you build a house sensitive to the history of the island?
Perhaps you would convert the cave or one good room or maybe create a cosy bunker in the dungeons?
How would you adapt the island for permanent habitation?
Perhaps you would just build a holiday eco home there?

Power, water, sanitation?

All thoughts welcome...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Would Kirrin Island be big enough to live on?

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Not sure I could live on such a small island Pete. Maybe have a holiday home but that's all. As for the decade I'd much like to live in the late 40's and early 50's. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Good points Julie.

I think I could just about live on the island in the warmer months. I suspect the violent storms in the winter would make it safer to be on the mainland.

House/Living Space

Although small, Kirrin would surely give more room than the following real life examples:

Humble - but not really suitable for going for a stroll with your faithful hound?

Much more ostentatious, but not much room to swing a rabbit..

Tinker's lighthouse - only for those who can enjoy a life of solitary confinement whilst being battered by humongous waves at times..

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Looking at the photo of that lighthouse, Pete, makes me wonder how it was built when the sea was pounding at the foundations.
I couldn't live on Kirrin Island, I think it would be mostly uninhabitable during winter. But, as Julie says, it would be a lovely holiday home. I would choose the 60s as the decade to relive.
I suppose any house built on the island could have solar panels on the roof to provide power.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Was Kirrin Island that small? I always had the impression that it was somewhat larger. I don't think I would enjoy living on the island on a permanent basis, but it would be nice for summer weekends, for which I would either build a tiny house in the courtyard of the castle or have the dungeons renovated and converted into living space. I expect the architect/builder could advise me on the issue of power, water and sanitation. As the 1960s is my favourite period I would like to return to it!!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote:You have all the money from the ingots. You can choose any decade you like, 40's 50''s 60's etc etc.

Could you live on Kirrin Island? Would you build a house sensitive to the history of the island?
Perhaps you would convert the cave or one good room or maybe create a cosy bunker in the dungeons?
How would you adapt the island for permanent habitation?
Perhaps you would just build a holiday eco home there?

Power, water, sanitation?

All thoughts welcome...
I'd love to, but I can imagine George would never let me!! :twisted: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

John Pickup wrote:Looking at the photo of that lighthouse, Pete, makes me wonder how it was built when the sea was pounding at the foundations.
Good point John.
This short clip showing a staff exchange at a lighthouse was amazing!

Boat Staff Exchange Lighthouse Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2x4X68oqM8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I wouldn't mind having a go at that, Pete. :D
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Courtenay wrote:I'd love to, but I can imagine George would never let me!! :twisted: :wink:
Ha ha, good point.

I think I agree with the views of others and would perhaps only want to live on the island during the summer months.

I suppose I'd want a combination of styles, so something that didn't spoil the look of the castle ruins, perhaps in the dungeons but that had all the mod cons inside. Discreet solar panels would be good, assuming of course Uncle Quentin hadn't managed to produce his marvels energy invention. :wink:

Actually I always liked the sound of the cave, but not sure how practical that would be for more than a few days.

If I did build house on it, I would make sure it couldn't be seen from the mainland and ruin the view.
Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Kirrin Island is plenty big enough to live on. It's big enough to build a castle on; you need to walk across the island to see a wreck on the rocks on the other side; you can climb down a hole into a cave while someone is chasing you and he can't see you because he hasn't caught up. Plenty big enough.

As for what period? Now. I would completely restore the castle, all mod cons of course, with the dungeons perhaps converted into one of those modern basements with cinema room and swimming pool. I would restore the tunnel to the mainland, because I don't like rowing or small boats. (I'd have some sort of electric golf cart to save me the walk as well.)

And why would it have to be now? Because I will not do without Satellite TV, especially the sports channels.
DSR
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

dsr wrote:As for what period? Now. I would completely restore the castle, all mod cons of course, with the dungeons perhaps converted into one of those modern basements with cinema room and swimming pool. I would restore the tunnel to the mainland, because I don't like rowing or small boats. (I'd have some sort of electric golf cart to save me the walk as well.)

And why would it have to be now? Because I will not do without Satellite TV, especially the sports channels.
I like the idea of an underground swimming pool and cinema room, definitely wouldn't want the tunnel under the sea though - too claustrophobic, which I know is a contradiction because I've just said I'd like the swimming pool. :oops:

I could live without sports and most TV channels, but I wouldn't want to be without internet access - how else could I keep up with the Enid Blyton Forums. :wink:

I have mixed feelings about rebuilding the castle, as there's something very atmospheric about ruins, so maybe I'm compromise and restore some of it, and leave the rest. Depending on how big the castle was originally, it might be too big for me to rattle about in if it was fully restored, especially if I only used it as a second home.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

dsr wrote: I would completely restore the castle, all mod cons of course, with the dungeons perhaps converted into one of those modern basements with cinema room and swimming pool. I would restore the tunnel to the mainland, because I don't like rowing or small boats. (I'd have some sort of electric golf cart to save me the walk as well.)
What a fantastic idea! I love it.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Maybe we could all club together to make it happen, and either have allocated rooms, or a kind of timeshare so we could go there at set times during the year. :wink:

I'm surprised none of us has mentioned the most important room to factor in when considering a new build/renovation ie - A LIBRARY. :lol:
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

May I book a fortnight for June 2022?
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Yes, you can book June 2022. For an extra charge you can hire Anne Kirrin to do all your cooking and cleaning.