Dolly -Wiedersehen auf der Burg

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Dolly -Wiedersehen auf der Burg

Post by pete9012S »

The time has finally come - Dolly is returning to her beloved castle, now as an adult friend and tutor of the nesting gulls. Soon she is in the middle of the craziest adventures and experiences a lot of surprises. A young teacher comes to the school who is very interested in Dolly. But Dolly messes up her first rendezvous and is heartbroken. But then the nesting gulls play fate ...
Does this book have an English counterpart?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Re: Dolly -Wiedersehen auf der Burg

Post by Katharine »

Doesn't ring any bells with me. Maybe it's a continuation novel?

If so, I would guess that Dolly is Darrell and the castle is supposed to be Malory Towers.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Katharine - it's like Enid Blyton meets Mills & Boon!

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes Pete it certainly has that sort of look about it. :D
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote:Thanks Katharine - it's like Enid Blyton meets Mills & Boon!
The mind boggles :shock: :shock: :shock:

(This reminds me, my family had a game when I was maybe about 5 or 6 years old and my parents and aunties used to read Mills & Boon books sometimes for an occasional laugh. We'd all sit together, each participant would take a Mills & Boon and then we'd take turns each reading out one random line from anywhere in our book — to create an entirely new Mills & Boon story that generally made at least as much sense as any of the originals. :P :wink: I should add this was before Mills & Boon started including anything much more explicit than a discreet kiss at the end, or I doubt I'd have been allowed to join in!!)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
dsr

Post by dsr »

pete9012S wrote:Image

The time has finally come - Dolly is returning to her beloved castle, now as an adult friend and tutor of the nesting gulls. Soon she is in the middle of the craziest adventures and experiences a lot of surprises. A young teacher comes to the school who is very interested in Dolly. But Dolly messes up her first rendezvous and is heartbroken. But then the nesting gulls play fate ...
Does this book have an English counterpart?
looking at Amazon, it's an 18 book series that starts with Dolly at Moewenfels Burg (Seagulls Rock Castle) and this is book 10. By the looks of it, Dolly was a child in the first few books; and not to provide spoilers, but book 11 is called "hochzeit zum burg Mowenfels" (sorry can't do the umlauts) which means "Wedding at mowenfels Castle" and the picture is even more Mils-and-Boonish than number 10.

The blurb on a different site says:
Endlich ist es soweit - Dolly kommt auf die geliebte Burg zurück, jetzt als Freundin und künftige Erzieherin der Mädchen. Bald steckt sie wieder in den schönsten Abenteuern, hört Geheimnisse und erlebt Überraschungen. Am Ende gibt es den großen Knalleffekt - Dollys Verlobung!
which Google translates as

The time has finally come - Dolly comes back to the beloved castle, now as a friend and future tutor of the girls. Soon she is back in the most beautiful adventures, hears secrets and experiences surprises. At the end there is the big bang - Dolly's engagement!

(Here - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/245 ... f-der-burg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was published in 1979.
DSR
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Yes, it's from the Malory Towers series
The twelve German follow-up books haven't been published in English as far as I know. There was a project running translating these books, but as far as I know only the first continuation novel was finished, and the second one didn't get far. Unfortunately I did miss the opportunity to download the files when they were available, and later the site was removed.
If I remember correctly Avital (member of the Enid Blyton Yahoo group, possibly even one of the adminstrators before she left) was involved in the translation process.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Books and titles of the German editions:
First Term at Malory Towers - Dolly sucht eine Freundin - Dolly is looking for a friend
The Second Form at Malory Towers - Dolly - Wirbel in Klasse 2 - Dolly - excitement in the second form
Third Year at at Malory Towers - Dolly - ein Pferd im Internat - Dolly - a horse at boarding school
Upper Fourth at Malory Towers - Dolly - die Klassensprecherin - Monitor Dolly
In the Fifth at Malory Towers - Dollys großer Tag - Dolly's great day
Last Term at Malory Towers - Dolly - Abschied von der Burg - Dolly - farewell from the castle
Dolly hat Heimweh nach der Burg - Dolly is homesick for the castle
Dolly - Eine aufregende Mitternachtsparty - Dolly - an exciting midnight party
Dolly - Die Burg erlebt ihr größtes Fest - Dolly - the castle has its greatest celebration
Dolly - Wiedersehen auf der Burg - Dolly - reunion at the castle
Dolly - Hochzeit auf Burg Möwenfels - Dolly - marriage at castle Rocks Of Seagulls
Dolly - Die jüngste Burgmöwe - Dolly - the youngest castle's seagull
Dolly - Überraschung auf der Burg - Dolly - surprise at the castle
Dolly - Klassentreffen auf Burg Möwenfels - Dolly - meeting of former classmates at the castle
Dolly - Ein Möwenfest im Möwennest - Dolly - a celebration of seagulls in the nest of seagulls
Dollys schönster Sieg - Dolly's most wonderful victory
Dolly - Eine Hauptrolle für die Burg - Dolly - a main role for the castle
Sag ja, Dolly - Say yes, Dolly

As far as I know the English continuation novels haven't been published in German.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Looking at those titles, I'm wondering just how much of Enid's original work is left even in the first 6 books. As far as I remember, Malory Towers wasn't a castle and I don't recall any seagulls either.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Many thanks dsr & Wolfgang for the extra info - I bet Chrissie has something to say about these books too then!

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Katharine wrote:Looking at those titles, I'm wondering just how much of Enid's original work is left even in the first 6 books. As far as I remember, Malory Towers wasn't a castle and I don't recall any seagulls either.
You're right about the seagulls, though it was by the sea so they must have been there presumably. But Maloroy Towers was at the very least a large square building with a 6-storey tower at each corner - it may not have been officially called a castle, but if it looks like a duck and it sounds like a duck ... :)
DSR
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes it is certainly reasonable to suppose there would have been seagulls in around Malory Towers, and towers could convey an imagine of the school being a castle.

It just strikes me as strange that the titles of the first 6 books have been altered, especially to include the word castle, and I'm wondering if the original texts have been altered to include seagulls, or if they just occur in the continuation books.
Society Member
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

I don't think that Chrissie has much to say about these books. ;-)
No, there are no alterations concerning seagulls (if I remember correctly).
From book seven on there's a follow-up school called "Möwennest" (Nest of seagulls) - so they nickname each other "Burgmöwe" and "Nestmöwe" (Castle's seagull and Net's seagull).
There are quite some changes though, many names have been changed, I remember two missing chapters throughout the books.
dsr

Post by dsr »

Katharine wrote:Yes it is certainly reasonable to suppose there would have been seagulls in around Malory Towers, and towers could convey an imagine of the school being a castle.

It just strikes me as strange that the titles of the first 6 books have been altered, especially to include the word castle, and I'm wondering if the original texts have been altered to include seagulls, or if they just occur in the continuation books.
They do that even when they aren't translations. Noel Streatfeild had at lest one of her books changed to include the word "Shoes" in the new title. It was the ice skating one, "White Boots" ("Skating Shoes".
DSR
Catbury

Post by Catbury »

The German follow up books don't have much in common with the original story. Taking place in modern Germany, Dolly (Darrell) drops all her ambitions from the original books, first attending the follow-up school Wolfgang mentioned that teaches stuff like housekeeping, then becomes matron at Malory Towers and from there she finally replaces Miss Grayling as headmaster. A very unusual career and partly really annoying, basicall just a try to make more money with Blyton's name.