‘I committed a crime against Enid Blyton in 1979’

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

They say it’s never too late to do the right thing. So here goes. I committed a crime against Enid Blyton in 1979. But she was dead at the time, so perhaps I’m in the clear...
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/book ... -1.3463606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: ‘I committed a crime against Enid Blyton in 1979’

Post by Lucky Star »

Great story Pete. 1979 eh. I was heavily into reading Blyton in Ireland myself at that time though it never ocurred to me to forge her signature. I also didn't realise at the height of my fandom that my favourite authoress was actually dead.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Brilliant :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Love it! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Interesting. I was 14 years old when Enid passed away but I can't recall hearing about her death on any news bulletin or reading about it in the newspapers.
Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

Lucky Star wrote:I also didn't realise at the height of my fandom that my favourite authoress was actually dead.
Me neither. She died before I was born, but for me she was very much alive as I read her books.
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Just read this now. Funnily enough, I did once copy Enid Blyton's distinctive signature onto a piece of paper just to see if I could do it, and showed my mum. And I do remember her saying that although it was very good, I shouldn't really be doing things like that. Which I thought was a bit odd at the time!
tix

Post by tix »

Not sure about radio bulletins, but the author's passing was certainly recorded in print.

One may have awarded Enid Blyton a kind of immortal status because of her pervading influence throughout one's early (and later) life but, when idly perusing the morning newspaper in an East End library near the end of 1968, a few paragraphs concerning the author's demise and legacy were prominent.

It produced what one might call a 'telling moment of reflection.'

Residing in Bourne End at one stage the expected pilgrimage to Old Thatch had to be organised. A genial owner allowed my unannounced glimpse, but I couldn't help wondering what it'd be like to have Blyton fans knocking on your door several times a week.

A 13 year-old boy who learned how to open a door when the key was inside by reading Enid Blyton's "The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage" appeared before Hull Juvenile Court today on a charge of breaking and entering Crowle-st. (sic) School, Hull and stealing stationery. Charged with him were three other boys, aged 13, 10 and 11, whom it was stated, had forced admittance to the school through a broken window. Enid Blyton's book, the boy said, explained that if a key was forced through the door with a piece of wire and fell on to some paper on the floor, it could be brought through under the door. He had also learned about such things as making invisible ink from orange juice, he added, but he had not tried that.

Police Insp. Walker remarked that Enid Blyton's books were considered good reading for children (correct).

The case was adjourned for six months on payment of 5s costs by each of the boys.
(It was 'shillings' in those days).

Something not quite right here. As we all know, Fatty didn't write with orange-juice when Mr. Hick was in vogue.

"Oh, Fatty, I would so like to do invisible writing." (Bets staring at Fatty with eyes wide)

That's to be found in 'Secret Room' of course - so was the reporter at fault, or did the Beak get it wrong?

A mystery on its own for the Blyton Fans, but I doubt if we'll ever know the truth seeing it occurred back in the Forties.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Goodness me - that's not the sort of influence Enid intended her books to have on youngsters!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Certainly not! What a defence, blaming the crime on Enid Blyton!
Society Member