An In Depth Study Of P.C Theophilus Goon

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

An In Depth Study Of P.C Theophilus Goon

Post by pete9012S »

Lets take a microscopic look at the Bobby we all love to hate.
Would the books be the same without him???
Theophilus Goon, the village policeman, who is outwitted by the five children in every single story. Mr Goon would dearly love promotion, but considers the children to be hindering him rather than helping. To chase them away he often tells them to "Clear Orf" (clear off). Consequently, the children have given him the nickname "Clear-Orf". Whenever he is upset or frustrated, Mr Goon constantly yells, "Gah!" causing much amusement among the children.
Is Goon right? Are the children holding his promotion back? They all attended boarding school, except young Bets.
Surely this would have left many weeks and months free for Goon to rise in the ranks of the police force?

What about Goon's work ethic? Was he fit for promotion? Could he have handled it if he was promoted?
What do the exchanges on the telephone and in person with his police colleagues reveal about their attitudes towards him generally as a policeman??

Mr Goon -affable, lovely, cuddly, approachable??

POINT ONE - PROMOTION:

An example of Goon's take on his 'enemies' preventing promotion and his police co workers attitudes towards him is found in 'The Vanished Prince'...
Yet another person was most interested in the disappearance of the young prince. That was Mr. Goon, of course. He also read it in his morning newspaper, and a few minutes later his telephone bell rang, and he had the news from headquarters. He thought rapidly.
“My word - I’ve met the Prince’s sister,”he thought. “If we get hold of her, we might get some news! I’d better get on to the Inspector straightaway.”
He corrected himself. “I should say the Chief Inspector! He’s had promotion again. I’ve never had any. Got enemies, I have, no doubt of that. Keeping a Good Man down, that’s what they are. Wait till I get them!”
He brooded for a few minutes on enemies that prevented promotion
, and then rang up headquarters again and asked for the Chief Inspector.
“He’s busy,”said the voice at the other end. “What do you want him for, Goon?”
“Something to do with the Prince Bongawah Disappearance,”said Goon, pompously. “Very interesting.”
“Right. Hold on a minute,”said the voice. Then Goon heard the Chief Inspector’s voice, sharp, confident and a little annoyed.
“What is it, Goon? I’m busy.”

In Hidden House we get a rare snatch of honesty from Goon regarding his own take on his promotion prospects:
Mr. Goon replaced everything in Ern’s pockets, the notebook as well. Ern didn’t stir when he tiptoed out of the bedroom. Mr. Goon felt that he had done a good evening’s work. He wondered how much Fatty knew about this curious mystery. It was funny that the Inspector hadn’t sent him word of any possible goings-on in Peterswood.
Well, it would be a real pleasure to Mr. Goon to open the inspector’s eyes and show him that dirty work could go on under his very nose, in his own district - without people guessing anything. But he, Mr. Goon knew! He’d soon clear everything up - and perhaps this time he really would get promotion.
But even Mr. Goon couldn’t help feeling that this was rather doubtful!
Goon on a wild goose chase in Hidden House...

In Missing Necklace we get promotion mentioned five times - Goon is hell bent on getting it!!!
This here case is mine, and I'm already getting on with it, and what's more I’ll get Promotion over this as sure as my name is Theophilus Goon," said the policeman, marching up the steps to the police-station. "You clear-orf now!"
"If you hadn't given me this here bit of paper, I'd have locked you up," said Mr. Goon. "Interfering with the Law. That's what you're always doing, you five
kids. Ho, yes, I know you think you've got a fine friend in Inspector Jenks, but one of these days you'll find he's fed up with you, see? And I'll get my promotion and be a Big Noise, and then just you look out!"
"Oh, I will look out," said Fatty earnestly. "Thanks for warning me, Mr. Goon. Er—what about that old fellow? Are you still going to keep him locked up?"
He gets a bit of grudging respect from The Find-Outers in this book too..
I wouldn't put it past you to carry one of them hooters about, just to annoy me, like!”
"He's getting quite bright, isn't he?" said Larry, as they walked off. "I shouldn't be surprised if he does get promotion one of these days. He's really trying to use those brains of his a bit. We'd better not hoot any more when we pass him. He's quite likely to go and complain about us if we do—and ever since he went up to my house and asked for me the other day, Mother's been warning me not to get into trouble."
But, as usual, despite his best efforts, promotion remains ever elusive for the hapless Goon...
"Well, sir—he knows that the pearls were hidden in the Waxworks Hall," said Fatty, "and maybe knows too that they were on Queen Elizabeth's neck—so he's bound to go back for them, sir, when every one has gone, and the Hall is dark and empty. Oh, sir—could I come and hide in the Hall tonight when you do your spot of arresting!"
"No," said the Inspector. "I'm afraid not. I'll have three men posted there. See to that straight-away, please, Goon. Er—I'm sure we can congratulate the Find-Outers on solving our problems for us in such a praiseworthy way—don't you think so, Goon? "
Goon murmured something that sounded suspiciously like "Gah!"
"What did you say, Goon?" said the Inspector. "You were agreeing with me, I imagine?"
"Er—yessir, yessir," said Goon hurriedly, and turned a familiar purple.

Tally-Ho Cottage - yes, you've guessed correctly, Old Goon is still pent up and frustrated about his 'deserved' promotion...
Goon didn’t. When at last he got home, in a state of fury, fright and utter bewilderment, he sat down heavily in his armchair, and stared at nothing. He forgot that he had asked the daily woman to come in and cook his dinner for him that night, and when she knocked at his door, he almost leapt from his chair in fright. He gazed at the door, half afraid that another Mr. Larkin would appear round it.
‘Who - who is it?’he said, in husky tones.
The woman put her untidy head round the door, surprised at Goon’s unusual voice. ‘Only me, sir. About your dinner.’
‘Ah,’said Goon, in a more ordinary voice. ‘Yes. Yes, bring it in.’
The evening’s mishaps had not spoilt Goon’s appetite. He thought hard as he ate his stew, and gradually recovered from his fright. He jabbed at a bit of meat.
‘Two Larkins. Sure as I’m here, there were two. But what will the Chief say if I send in a report and say I saw two? “My dear Goon,”he’ll say, “you must have been seeing double. Hadn’t you better buy yourself some glasses?”’
Goon mimicked the Chief’s voice, and felt very pleased with his imitation. ‘Ho, Chief!’he said. ‘Ho! Glasses I need, do I? Let me tell you this - I don’t need glasses, and I don’t need advice from you - all I want is a spot of promotion, which is more than due to me…’
Mr Goon in Tally - Ho Cottage, still hungry for promotion...

Seething with rage in Tally-Ho - he was hot on sheep worrying though - if a cup of tea or framing Buster was involved!!!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Re: An In Depth Study Of P.C Theophilus Goon

Post by pete9012S »

POINT TWO - GOON'S BRAINS

Mr Goon certainly thought he possessed good Goon brains in Hidden House:
Ern did the washing-up and after that got out his books to do some work. Mr. Goon, trying to look pleasant so as not to make Ern obstinate, sat reading his paper again. He looked up approvingly as Ern sat down to work.
“That’s right, my boy. That’s the way to get brains like mine. A bit of hard study will make a lot of difference to you.”
Sadly, in Invisible Thief we learn that the Find-Outers did not share Mr Goon's view of his alleged brain power:
They finished their tea, talking about the two robberies. After a time Buster growled again and went to the fence. “Must be Goon over the other side, doing a spot of detecting,”said Fatty with a grin. “Let’s go and see his turnip-brains at work.”
Goon was busy looking for prints and clues. He was most irritated to see three heads looking over the wall at him. They watched him solemnly as he measured and marked.
“Look! He’s found a footprint!”said Larry, in an admiring voice. The back of Mr Goon’s neck went scarlet but he said nothing.
“Now he’s measuring it,”said Daisy. “Oooh, isn’t he careful?”
“Brains, Daisy, brains,”said Fatty. “What can we do against brains like that?”
Mr Goon felt as if he was going to burst. Those children! Toads! Pests! Always in his way, buzzing round like a lot of mosquitoes. He made a very dignified retreat into the kitchen, rather hurried at the end when he discovered that Buster had squeezed through the hole in the fence and was after him.
“Clear-Orf!”he shouted, slamming the door in Buster’s face. “You clear-orf!”
Goon - positively bursting with brainpower...

Let's go back again to Hidden House for an amazing interchange of intellect and brain power from within the Goon gene pool:
“Well? Did you see those kids? Get any news from them?”inquired Mr. Goon, affably, piling egg, bacon and toast on to Ern’s plate.
“No. There wasn’t any news, Uncle,”said Ern.
“But you must have talked about something,”said Mr. Goon. “What did they say to you?”
Ern racked his brains to think of something harmless to tell his uncle. He suddenly remembered something.
“I told them you said we were to work together,”he said.
“You shouldn’t have told them that,”said Mr. Goon, crossly. “Now they won’t tell you a thing!”
“Oh yes they will. They said it was right that an uncle and nephew should work together,”said Ern, shovelling egg and bacon into his mouth. “And what’s more, Fatty said I took after you, Uncle. He said you’d passed your brains on to me.”
Mr. Goon looked most disbelievingly at Ern. He felt certain that Fatty didn’t think much of any brains he possessed, and if he did he certainly wouldn’t say so. He was just pulling Ern’s leg. Mr. Goon wished in exasperation that Ern wasn’t so simple.
“He didn’t mean that, see?”said Mr. Goon. “He can’t think much of your brains, Ern. You know you haven’t got any to speak of. You think of your last school report.”
Ern thought instead of the remarkable set of clues he had found that afternoon. He smiled. “Oh, I’ve got brains all right, Uncle. You wait and see.”
The Brains of Ern v The Brains of Goon - fascinating stuff!

Brainy PC Goon in action!

Sadly, despite his vast intellect, PC Goon made the mistake of underestimating PC Pippin's brainpower in Pantomime Cat:
He called Goon into his room. “Er, Goon,” he said, “we must wait for about twenty minutes before proceeding with anything. Pippin has just phoned through. He’s got fresh evidence.”
Goon bristled like a hedgehog. “Pippin, sir? He doesn’t know a thing about this case. Not a thing. I wouldn’t let him work with me on it, he’s such a turnip-head. Course, he’s only been with me a little while, but it’s easy to see he’s not going to be much good. Not enough brains. And a bit too cocky, sir, if you’ll excuse the slang.”
PC Pippin on the job...

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

A great piece of work Pete - your research I mean, not my opinion of Clear-Orf.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you Daisy. :D

Next;

GOON'S WORK ETHIC / SNOOZING:

Thinking about getting up to no good or some other nefarious activity in Peterswood? You are? Ok, well here's a good time to plan your dark deeds:

Hidden House:
“Well, Ern, what about you going up on Christmas Hill to see if you can find a few clues in daylight,”said Fatty. “They would be a help.”
“What sort of clues?”asked Ern, looking cheerful again.
“Oh - cigarette ends, buttons, footprints, anything like that,”said Fatty. “You just never know. A real detective can usually find no end of clues.”
“I’ll go up about three,”said Ern. “Uncle will be having his afternoon snooze then. Well - I’d better be going. I’ll bring any clues to you if I find them. So long!”
He is not best pleased when woken from his nap as we read in the same book:
They ran down the hill. At the bottom they met Mr. Goon labouring along on his bicycle, very angry because his snooze had been interrupted by a call about a stolen dog. When he saw the children at the bottom of Christmas Hill, he stopped in suspicion.
“What you been doing up there?”he asked.
In Vanished Prince we learn that the Goon clan where well aware of Goon's propensity to rest his weary a$$..

Meanwhile Ern and Sid had arrived. Ern didn’t like to knock in case his uncle was having a nap, as he so often did. He turned the handle of the front door. It wouldn’t open, so it must be locked from the inside.
Tally -Ho Cottage: Goon & Johns looking so stolid on the job on such a cold night - however we go on to read:
‘Goon? What’s this story about Frederick Trotteville? I don’t believe it.’
‘Sir, I wouldn’t tell you such a story if it wasn’t true,’said Goon earnestly. ‘And P.C. Johns, who was with me, will tell you that this boy was in the grounds last night, snooping round after us - one of his little jokes, sir, this was. He thought it would be funny to lock us in.’
‘But what were you doing in the boiler-house, Goon, when you should have been outside on duty?’said the Chief’s sharp voice.
‘Just looking round, sir,’said Goon, and then let his imagination get the better of him. ‘We heard footsteps outside, sir, then the door banged and the key turned in the lock, and we heard Master Frederick’s laugh, sir - a most horrible laugh, sir, and…’
Which backfires on Goon before you can even say 'go 'an boil yer head!!'....
. Goon and Johns were locked up all night in the boiler-house at Tally-Ho, and Ern let them out this morning.’
‘Ern!’said Fatty, startled.
‘Yes, he seemed to be about too,’said the Chief. ‘Goon and Johns were apparently half-cooked, the boiler-house was so hot.’
‘The boiler wasn’t going when I left them, sir,’said Fatty. ‘I’d have noticed if it was - I’d have seen the glow when I went near it.’
‘Oh. Then who lit it!’said the Chief.
‘Goon and Johns, I suppose,’said Fatty. ‘It was a cold night, and they might have thought it a good idea to light up the boiler and have a warm, sir. And possibly they - er - well, quite possibly they fell asleep.’
‘Yes. That thought also occurred to me,’said the Chief.
‘It might have been the fumes that sent them off, of course,’said Fatty generously. ‘They might not have meant to sleep there - only get warm.’
‘Yes. Quite so,’said the Superintendent.
So Goon's need for a nap morning, noon and night whether on duty or off duty seems to have been common knowledge to all who knew the stalwart Peterswood law keeper well....

Never mind promotion, was PC Goon lucky to have held down the job of Police Constable in Peterswood for so long in view of his somnambulant work ethic???

A rare picture of PC Goon awake and engaged in energetic activity...

Don't miss our next thrilling instalment:

COMING OFF HIS BIKE:

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great, very informative posts. Thank you, Pete. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Interesting to read all this. I remembered most of the scenes as I read them again.
There was probably just one time where they were temporarily on better terms with Goon. I think it was at the end of one of the books, but I'm sure you will come to it!
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Linguistic Skills

Don't readily spring to mind when we think of Old Goon - but his does have his moments of surprising word power:

Pantomime Cat:

“Thanks for the introduction, Mr. Goon,” said Fatty, with a grin. He smiled at the other policeman. “Pleased to welcome you to Peterswood, Mr. Pippin. I hope you’ll be happy here. And—er—if at any time we can help you, just let us know.”
“There you are! What did I tell you?” said Mr. Goon, going red in the face. “Can’t stop interfering! You clear-orf, all of you and take that pestiferous dog with you. And mind you, I shall warn P.C. Pippin of all your little tricks and you’ll find he won’t stand any nonsense. See?”
Mr. Goon stalked off with his friend Pippin, who looked round at the children rather apologetically as he went. Fatty gave him a large wink. Pippin winked back.
“I like him,” said Bets. “He’s got a nice face. And his ears …”
Some say pestiferous is not a real word...what do you think??? :D

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

It's in the dictionary so it's obviously a word.

I wonder if Goon's usage of the word relates to this meaning: "harbouring infection and disease" as he's referring to Buster, as opposed to the alternative one of "constituting a nuisance; very annoying", although it's quite possibly both of them, in his eyes. :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

He's barbigerous:

. “Oh no - look, it’s there by the bank. And the fisherman is sitting on the grass, eating his lunch. Now we can get him to talk!”
They went up to him and sat down solemnly. He took a hurried look at them and then swallowed a mouthful so quickly that he choked.
“Bad luck,”said Larry, sympathetically. “Caught many fish?”
“No,”said the fisherman in a strangled sort of voice. He got up suddenly and went to his boat.
“Pssst!”said Larry. The fisherman clambered hurriedly into his boat, making it rock up and down. Larry was about to go to his help, meaning to whisper a few stinging remarks into Fatty’s ear, when Bets caught hold of him and pulled him back. He looked down at her in surprise.
She looked up at him and shook her head, her eyes wide and frightened. She nodded towards the fisherman’s boots. They were enormous - and so were his hairy hands!
Larry stopped with a jerk. Gosh - it wasn’t Fatty after all! Of course it wasn’t. Who was it then? And why had he behaved so strangely?
“Big feet - enormous hands!”whispered Bets. “It’s the thief! It is, Larry - it must be! That’s why he’s tried to shake us off. He’s afraid we’re on his track.”
The fisherman had pushed off into the river again. He sat now with his back to the children, hunched up as before. They gazed at him silently. How could they possibly have thought he was Fatty?
“What are we to do?”asked Daisy in a low voice. “We ought to tell Fatty. But where is he? Is he somewhere near - in disguise? We can’t let the thief go now we’ve found him! Where is Fatty? I simply can’t see him anywhere!”

Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

At the end of the Mystery of the Strange Bundle Goon is invited to tea in Fatty's shed and they end up being on good terms, (In answer to your point, Lenoir when Good and the Find Outers have temporarily made a truce. However in the very next book, the Mystery of Holly Lane, Goon bribes Bert the son of his cleaner to trap Buster and he was going to claim he had been worrying sheep and would have had him shot ! This was Goon at his nastiest and I am surprised that Fatty could bear to deal with him after that. Seriously though I thought that was a weak point in Enid Blyton's book - I don't think Goon was quite as bad as that.
He does have a cruel streak in him though, what with caning Ern, throwing the Smiths out and fixing the crime on Boysie he is not a nice character. But these mystery books rely heavily on Goon for the comic elements
Whereas in the excellent Barney books which have just as much humour, there is no obvious fall guy. Even though I love the Find Outer books the humour of teasing Goon mercilessly does start to jar a bit, especially towards the end. For me that is one of the reasons I prefer the Barney books (well the first four anyway).
On another note, Bert reminds me that Goon seems go through several cleaners/cooks/housemaids or whatever they are. They not only clean for Goon but they do a bit of cooking as well. So not quite sure what you would call them. Maybe he is so rude to them that they can only put up with him for a few years. I must go through the books and check but I am sure that there are at least 3 different ones mentioned. Although that might be errors rather than intentional as Enid Blyton does sometimes forget the names of characters.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Irene Malory Towers

I am replying to my own post ! re the different housekeepers of Mr Goon. Here are my findings.
Mysteries 1,2 and 3- no mention, Mystery no 4 (Spiteful Letters) Mrs Cockles, Mysteries 5,6,7 - no mention of a name although in No. 8 (Invisible Thief) there is a an unnamed cleaning lady. Mysteries 9 and 10 no mention, Mystery No. 11 (Holly Lane) Mrs Mickle, Mystery 12 no mention, Mystery No 13 (Missing Man) Mrs Boggs, Mystery 14 - (Strange Messages) Mrs Hicks who plays an important role. I cannot bear to read the last Mystery as I reckon it is so terrible. So 4 housekeepers/cleaning ladies. I can imagine Mr Goon was not a pleasant person to work for and there is the evidence !
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Great work Irene.
I absolutely love posts like yours that catalogue all the ladies that 'do' for P.C.Goon.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote: ... all the ladies that 'do' for P.C.Goon.
... so to speak. :shock: :P :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Perce

Post by Perce »

These are very interesting observations on Goon. It is surprising why Goon isn't promoted after The Mystery of the Missing Necklace, because what Goon achieved in that Mystery far surpassed anything the FFO's did in all the other Mysteries put together.

We're told that a bunch of thieves, sought after by virtually every police force in the country, were thought to be operating in and around Peterswood, and very little intelligence about them was known.

But the gang made one mistake, and that was they entered the patch of Theophilus Goon. Scores of police forces, with teams numbering dozens, had tried and failed to catch them, but one man smashed them, he crushed them so that they would never rise again. And that man was Theophilus Goon.

And he achieved all this with constant interference from the FFO. Ultimately he had to lock Fatty away due to his meddling and interference, for his own good, because Goon was dealing with the big boys now. No wonder all the ladies in the village wanted to work for him!

The FFO may have found a necklace, but it was Goon who smashed the criminal gang. Goon's enemies definitely kept a good man down!
"Here I am, struggling for promotion, doing my very best, and every time you come along and upset the apple-cart. You're a toad of a boy, that's what you are!" [PC Goon]

Society Member
Irene Malory Towers

Poor old Goon. Yes it was a shame he wasn't promoted after the mystery of the missing necklace but have you forgotten that he did not catch number 5 was it or number 3 who was the leader with the cross coloured eyes. It was Fatty that lured him (presumably to be caught) as he (fatty or rather Bets) found out where the necklace was.

re his housekeepers/cleaners - I wasn't quite sure what their roles were. Some were cleaners, receptions and some cooked for him too ? Did they do anything else ? !! The mind boggles (or Mrs Boggs !) Perhaps why they left ! And I always wondered whether the delightful Mrs Hicks was told off for her villainous role in the Mystery of the Strange Messages. I liked that book but it was let down by the rather abrupt and weird ending.