Storing Enid's magazines

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Storing Enid's magazines

Post by Fiona1986 »

I was wondering if anyone else has a load of the EB magazines or Sunny Stories and how they store them.

At the moment mine are in a box and it's rubbish. The covers are getting damaged every time I take anything out or put it back in and even though they're in order of publication it's annoying trying to find a particular one.

Basically I'm looking for some inexpensive and not overly enormous way of storing them which makes finding and removing/replacing issues easy. It doesn't have to be pretty, though, if that helps!

With my various other bits piled on top.

"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Storing Enid's magazines

Post by pete9012S »

I store all mine in order a few of these:

A4 40 Pocket Display Presentation Document Folder

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-40-Pocket ... zcn3K4ktGQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Each a4 document case holds 40 files, but I put two magazines back to back in each pouch, meaning that one folder can safely store and protect up to 80 Enid Blyton Magazines.

At around £2 per folder they keep all my magazines in the correct order and also protect them.
I then store the folders in a cardboard box.
You can also write the individual content details of each a4 folder on it's spine, making the contents of each folder easy to locate.

I also use the 20 pocket version which holds 40 magazines when you put two mags in each plastic wallet:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-DISPLAY-2 ... 0010.m2109" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Pete's suggestion is a good one. My Society journals are kept in a shoe box, and my magazines are just in several piles on shelves, apart from one set which had been bound before I bought them.
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

That looks like a good idea - but I'm struggling to get my head around 80 mags in one folder! The photo above is around 95 magazines (I actually have another 10 or so I bought recently but they're still in the individual bags they came in) and it's well over a foot wide.

Do you have a photo, Pete?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

This is the folder with 40 plastic pockets.
It holds a complete set of 26 magazines and is about 5 or six inches wide with all the magazines inside.

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I use A5 box files to store my EBS Journals and other magazines of a similar size. I have some with interior clasps, as shown in the image below, and some without.

I also use folders with plastic pockets for various paper items, Pete. I find these extremely useful. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Eddie, I really like the look of those box files, had no idea they came in that size. Can you recommend any particular make/retailer?

I'm taking on board Pete's storage solution for my odd larger size magazines and various odds and ends.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I used to get them in the Ryman shops, Katharine. It’s a while since I bought any and I haven’t seen them in any of the other stationery shops in recent times. Most of them stock A4 size box files, but not A5. I’ve just checked Amazon UK and they have them for sale. So if you can’t find the A5 size in your local shops, perhaps Amazon would be the answer.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Eddie, I'll check out my local branch. I prefer to shop at local places if possible, although on occasions places like Amazon are the only answer.
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

It looks like Ryman online sell them, £6 for 1 or £30 for 10. I don’t need 10 but it seems silly to pay £30 for the five I probably need!

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Look upon it as an investment Fiona - as it will give you a good excuse to buy more vintage magazines. :wink:
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I like your thinking. I should have posted this a few weeks ago and then asked for boxes (and magazines) for Christmas!

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Fiona, it's never too late to write a letter to Father Christmas. :wink:
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I find the journals are sturdy enough to stand upright in batches of ten on a standard width shelf. The magazines are not so I use the same homemade holders my dad taught me, a cereal box cut in half at a diagonal, decorate as you wish and label. Cheap, simple and quick. You can also use a smaller box for a more perfect fit :D .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Exactly three months later and I have a solution- I just know you've all been desperately waiting to find out whether or not I bought anything! I got these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(please excuse all the vehicles! I was too excited to get my magazines organised to waste time tidying up first :lol:)

They are a5 size but they're big enough to get your fingers in around the magazines. I can easily fit 15 in each, so I've split each set of issues into two. I'll need to get more later but my issues 5 and 6 fit in a box each with room to spare for my few Sunny Stories etc at the moment.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member