Would YOU have given Barney (and Miranda) a lift?

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Would YOU have given Barney (and Miranda) a lift?

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Dear fellow Blytonians,

Reading Ring-O-Belly Mystery with Daisy - yes, one of our (in)famous joint readings, I stumbled on Barney hitchhiking to Somerset, where Ring-O-Bells village seems to be.

Now, Barney does get there in the end, and we get a nice juicy teaser of the mystery lying ahead in the process, however, I do wonder about a few things - as we get an insight in what hitchhiking was like in those days in EB's mind.

1. Of course, I wonder whether hitchhiking would have been Barney's chosen method of transport had the book been written in the 70s... when we started to learn more about the downside of hitching rides. But that shouldn't be our topic now, we might discuss this in another thread.

2. Barney is described quite lovingly by EB - he is a tall, strong lad, the image of good health, nice tan, fair hair, piercingly blue eyes, roughly 16 or so. So he would look 'nice' if...
- it wasn't for his clothing which, albeit quite normal today, back then clearly showed he was a tramp. Rubber shoes, well, those were worn by 'decent' children as well, but not with socks that had holes in them, as for the rest, we learn he has a coat and we can assume that he is wearing shorts or trousers made of material that wouldn't be scared stiff of work, and a shirt - which probably is clean but clearly well washed. And he carries his earthly possessions in a tied hanky.
- it wasn't for Miranda, who got him one or two rides, agreed, but who also got some people to go on and ignore the good-looking, friendly lad by the roadside.

So, here comes the question:

Would YOU personally have given Barney a lift?

It would be nice to know, why or why not, too...

As for my alter ego, well. With Jo either driving or in the passenger seat - this being the family car - I wouldn't have much say in the matter... Jo would either recognize him for what he is or know him personally. In both cases, he would get a lift.
Dick by himself, difficult question. On a clear day, maybe not, as I am not too keen on monkeys - but I might have stopped and asked him whether he could promise Miranda would stay on his side of the car. In the rain, well, of course. After all, being stranded on a country road in the pouring rain is no way to be.

And as for today, oh dear! My Mondeo has so many buttons to press... Miranda - if in the adventurous spirit - would have a field day. Besides, sadly we have all got hardened up towards people in need and we have all heared the horror stories. But still, I have given rides to people and I am still alive.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Would YOU have given Barney (and Miranda) a lift?

Post by pete9012S »

Hi Dick - great topic! I had similar thoughts a few years ago myself:
pete9012S wrote:If you have children,would you let them befriend someone like Barney?
He sleeps rough,has no fixed abode,nowhere to wash and bathe.
His clothes are well worn and he literally lives from hand to mouth....

Is this lovely friendship between Roger,Diana,Snubby and Barney totally the work of fiction-or in the times in which the books were written did friendships like this actually happen.....

I'm trying to be honest and imagine if I could stretch and see beyond Barneys outward appearance and encourage my children to be his friend.
Would it have been easier in Enids day for friendships like this to exist-to the point of allowing your children to go away on holiday with someone like Barney.

Has anyone encountered friendships that cross these sort of divides in their own family?

Times were a lot different in years gone by...I remember my mum had to go out to work unexpectedly for a few hours in the summer holidays when I was little almost 40 years ago......I asked could I be looked after by the workmen in our lane (who so reminded me of the ones in Peterswood with their braziers to keep warm and brew their tea....)
My mum agreed and I was allowed to play out under their watchful eye.They made me a cup of tea from their brazier and shared their biscuits with me....I felt totally safe with them...Mum was soon back and I just cant imagine that happening anymore today.....

Perhaps others may have had similar experiences from their younger days when there seemed to be more trust and respect in our neighbourhoods and communities?
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... nd#p102340" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Yes, Pete, I darkly remembered that topic. What is it they say about 'great minds thinking alike - and fools never differing?' :D

And you are perfectly correct in your points about more trust in EB world and probably in the real world as well. Friendships amongst kids are quite often crossing boundaries that adults would - hardened by life - think twice about crossing, see my alter ego and Jo...

However, I decided to open a new thread as the Lynton children (am impudently including Snubby, though we are never told his second name) befriend Barney and by the time Miss Pepper comes to know, the deed is all done.
Of course, had she forbidden them to see Barney again, the stories no doubt would have been different, but she with her knowledge of children and her sure judgement of character, didn't.

However, my question aims more at how people would relate to Barney who don't know him. How much would first impressions and stereotypes have counted then, now, in fiction and in real life?

The Barney series is slightly different as it aims at older children and it at least gives that topic a passing glance - so much for EB being a rabid, racist Tory full of predjudice.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes, your question is coming in from a different angle Dick and I'm sure it will result in some good responses here on the forums.

I always think Barney is the sort of person people would not normally have stopped for, but when they actually saw him with his striking blue eyes (as mentioned) and his open and honest demeanour they changed their preconceived view and asked him to hop in.

Having a monkey on his shoulder must have been an ice breaker too!

Regards

Pete

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I think it depends entirely on what you think about monkeys, especially if it seems they are free to jump around where ever they want. Personally, I would have reservations! Reading the books as a child, I just accepted that Barney was a good lad (even Enid paints a glowing picture of him almost every time he is mentioned!) and Miranda was a fascinating addition to the group. Reading as an adult, one can see possible flaws in the plots and raise objections a child would not think of. So, in answer to the question, I think I would have decided to be on the safe side and drive on by! Sorry Barney.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

An enjoyable post Daisy, although I was rather sad to hear that you suffer from pithecophobia.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

:lol: Pete. Not really ... I feel quite ambivalent about monkeys, but would probably draw a line at being in a small space - like a car - with an unknown fellow and his monkey!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
PaulB123
Favourite book/series: Five Finder Outers & Famous Five
Favourite character: Fatty & Dick

Post by PaulB123 »

I'm in the Daisy camp on this.
Not sure I would have wanted any monkey in my car, however enjoyable they make the reading of the Barney Mystery stories.
Sorry Barney, I've just driven past you :roll:
Duncan:
There is a war on. How is it you are heading west?
Hawkeye:
Well, we kinda face to the north and, real sudden-like, turn left.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yeah, me too. :shock: :P Besides, as a single female, there's no way known I would take the risk of picking up ANY male hitchhiker, with or without a monkey. Even if it was Barney!!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I just might have been curious enough to stop and find out where he was going and why he had a monkey with him. A conundrum really. I don't usually give lifts but in such odd circumstances I might have been intrigued enough to make an exception. Depends on my mood. put me down as a "maybe". :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I love the Barney books and all the characters in them but I'm absolutely certain that I wouldn't have picked up Barney and Miranda. Without knowing them from the books I would have believed them to be vagrants, especially considering the state of Barney's clothes.
Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Well, John Pickup, that exactly is what they are - vagrants. ;-)

And of course one would in this day and age think more than twice about offering a lift to people. Especially minors or women if you are a man... because next thing you know you're getting arrested as a rapist or a peado.
Which is sad, really. After all, minors or women hitching rides alone are in fact the most vulnerable people on the road.
So they deserve protection - and here the law has been somewhat counterproductive. Well, unless you want them not to try and hitch rides in the first place, that is.

Back in the day, however, well... I really don't know. Obviously even police officers like Mr King were prepared to let Barney be without insisting that he needed looking after or offering to run a few inquiries for him. Which I find interesting, seeing that Barney clearly is underage and alone. An orphan who by rights ought to be in foster care till his father can be found.
EB land for you.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I don't drive but if I could my answer would be if it was still the time the books were set yes I would give Barney a lift. Modern day not a chance. No way would I have Miranda at any point though, can't stand monkeys, horrible nasty things vicious and full of fleas :x .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Snehalatha

Post by Snehalatha »

Yes, I would definitely have given dear old Barney a lift.Nothing pleasanter than that!! With little Miranda chattering away!! How I wish it were really true.
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

If I was alone in the car I would not give anyone a lift as in this day and age it is just too dangerous. I was shocked by an incident that occurred several years ago when a kind man offered to drive my friend's mother home from the supermarket as she had no car and was trying to carry two large bags filled with groceries. She accepted his offer, but as they were driving along a lorry suddenly shot out from a side road without warning and the man had to brake sharply to avoid it, at which point my friend's mother was thrown forward and hit her knee off the dashboard. I don't think the injury to her knee was very serious, but she made a huge fuss about it and sued the man for causing her an injury, with the result that he lost his "no claims" bonus. I always felt that was dreadfully unfair to somebody who was being helpful and doing a good deed, especially as he was not to blame for the sudden appearance of the lorry. However, if I had another passenger in the car with me I might consider taking Barney and Miranda, but would ask him to keep her under control!!!
Society Member