Five Go Feasting

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Five Go Feasting

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome to the forums, FiveFanDownunder!
FiveFanDownunder wrote:Is ‘potted meat’ like a tinned ham?
Potted meat is more like pâté.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
FiveFanDownunder
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: After forty years or so I still can’t decide.

Post by FiveFanDownunder »

Thanks Anita. Being on the other side of the globe and 70 years or so into the future it is not immediately obvious to the likes of me...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

FiveFanDownunder wrote: I find it interesting imagining what some of the food items that Blyton regularly has in her books would taste like.

Is ‘potted meat’ like a tinned ham? In Australia we have SPAM ... am I thinking along the right lines? There’s also tongue mentioned fairly often and I recently researched ‘brawn’ which I think was made out of a pigs head!! Apparently it was finished in a press and ended up like a pate of sorts.

Has anyone in the society ever had a tasting day where some of these olden-day specials were recreated and tried. I don’t know if I’m brave enough, I’ve not tried tongue.
"Tinned tongue and ginger beer!" is a common catchphrase in my family whenever someone mentions Enid Blyton-style adventures! :wink: We're all big fans, my mum, my dad, my sister and me. I bought Five Go Feasting as a present for Mum last year, but I don't know whether she's been game enough to try any of the recipes yet. There is definitely one for tongue and one for potted meat, but I can't remember how it's made...
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
FiveFanDownunder
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: After forty years or so I still can’t decide.

Post by FiveFanDownunder »

Courtenay wrote: I bought Five Go Feasting as a present for Mum last year, but I don't know whether she's been game enough to try any of the recipes yet. There is definitely one for tongue and one for potted meat, but I can't remember how it's made...
Let me know if you ever give either of these a try. I would probably have a try myself when I have a bit more spare time on my hands, but I am not sure of I'm brave enough for something made from a boiled pigs head. It's all in the mind I'm sure.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I like tongue in sandwiches, but haven't had it for ages.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I was pleased to see you speaking about the Robert Baden-Powell statue in Poole on the main six o'clock news on the BBC last night, Viv! Hope things are going okay for you.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Well spotted! :lol:

Once again I was defending a public figure against something they didn't do :roll:

I'm also in the Daily Mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... owell.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was quite happy when someone else draped the statue in St Georges Flag, because St George is the patron saint of Scouting.

I wasn't too sure about the chap in the Union flag shirt, because as a Remain voting Lib-Dem I never want to be associated with the far-right, but he seemed ok.

This tells you more about B-P
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53007902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There seems to be a call for statues to have additional signs, so this evening, after the rain, I will put up a laminated poster of that article, along with this B-P quote

“If only our country could be run by Statesmen instead of Politicians it wouldn’t be in the mess it is today.”

Robert Baden-Powell
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Well done Viv. This removal of history is complete nonsense. Hopefully it will blow over soon. Stay safe. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Thanks!

Back to the food theme...

This morning I ventured out to the town 5 miles away to go shopping at the market. The octogenarian parents had given me a list, plus I was intent on finding something to cheer them up.

Somehow, I felt I was channeling Jack when he went shopping from the Secret Island :lol:

Viv
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

FiveFanDownunder wrote:
Courtenay wrote: I bought Five Go Feasting as a present for Mum last year, but I don't know whether she's been game enough to try any of the recipes yet. There is definitely one for tongue and one for potted meat, but I can't remember how it's made...
Let me know if you ever give either of these a try. I would probably have a try myself when I have a bit more spare time on my hands, but I am not sure of I'm brave enough for something made from a boiled pigs head. It's all in the mind I'm sure.
Well, Mum is in Australia and I'm in the UK, so I don't have the book on hand, but next time I'm visiting my parents (don't know when that will be, though, with all these travel restrictions still in place), I'll check out the recipes... I did once see a recipe for potted crab meat in a "best of British" cookbook, but can't remember how that was made, let alone whether it bore any resemblance to the Blyton version!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sayantani

Post by sayantani »

As a child I used to be obsessed with potted meat sandwiches..didn't know what they were as in India we didn't have that name. Always have equated these with meat mince or paste in sandwiches. Would love to see a recipe!
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Here's one such recipe, sayantani.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26643/potted-beef/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

That actually sounds quite tasty! :D I remember the potted crab recipe I mentioned also had melted butter poured on the top to "seal" it in the pot.
Society Member

sayantani

Post by sayantani »

Thanks very much John for the recipe. It looks simple enough! A bit like the mince pastes we use in Indian food - only we use goat or chicken meat and not beef
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I was curious and decided to get the book.

It's true that many recipes are quite simple but not all of them.

I've looked up the recipe for potted meat. The book says it's some kind of pâté. The recipe is similar to the one in the link that Boatbuilder posted. They add a bit of Anchovy Paste (for which there is a recipe in the book too).
Society Member