Article: Why I read Blyton to my Children, by Suzy Howlett

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Article: Why I read Blyton to my Children, by Suzy Howle

Post by Boatbuilder »

I would imagine the right person could obtain the necessary permission to continue writing Famous Five titled books as has happened with others. One example is the 'Frost' books by R.D.Wingfield which have been continued since the author's death by James Henry.

"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Usually, in order to write continuation novels, the author has to approach the copyright holders, or is approached, as an already established writer.

I can see how using adult characters and situations and the laws of parody might help considerably...but then again, even the 'Famous Five for adults' is copyrighted, and not just anyone could publish one of them.

I'm happy that my continuation novels are available on this website, but it would have been nice to have been able to publish them. As I've already published a novel via Amazon, it would have been incredibly easy, but I haven't, due to copyright (even though the Barney Mysteries are now no longer being published!)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I agree Rob, the excellent continuation books by all the writers we know and love deserves a much wider audience.

And, let's not forget without the laws on parody and official approval we would not have had the work that Bruno Vincent has added to the Enid Blyton canon... :wink:
Last edited by pete9012S on 06 Jun 2018, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

pete9012S wrote:And let's not forget without the laws on parody and official approval we would not have had the work that Bruno Vincent has added to the Enid Blyton canon... :D
Except these were commissioned, I believe...

That's why I was puzzled by the fact that anyone can write a parody. :?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, none of our continuation novels can be published, Rob, because of copyright laws and we've used Enid's book titles.

Also to approach publishers such as Hodder who own the copyright, you can only do this via an agent.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I would like the owners of The Blyton estate to release a bl%%dy good serious work in the exact vein of The Famous Five just to see if it was popular or not.

With the writing talent in the world today it surely must be possible??? Am I asking too much??

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Yes, none of our continuation novels can be published, Rob, because of copyright laws and we've used Enid's book titles.
True, except a title like 'The Mystery of Rawlins' Reach' or 'The Mystery of Rooks Rock' surely don't have copyrighted titles, and the characters don't have a collective name, as 'The Famous Five' do...so actually they presumably don't contravene any more copyright laws than a book written using the names of characters as adults...?

I'm just trying to understand the copyright laws. They are obviously less black and white than I imagined.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Rob Houghton wrote:True, except a title like 'The Mystery of Rawlins' Reach' or 'The Mystery of Rooks Rock' surely don't have copyrighted titles, and the characters don't have a collective name, as 'The Famous Five' do...so actually they presumably don't contravene any more copyright laws than a book written using the names of characters as adults...?
That's a good point, Rob. I didn't think of that. With the law as it stands, then surely those two books could be published!

8)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Below is the list of what I have learned from various discussions among GAD members (some of them work in publishing houses/mystery authors/biographers/editors) over times.

1) When the copyright expired and in a public domain.

For example, Sherlock Holmes works written by Arthur Conan Doyle. Any person can produce books/stories using Sherlock Holmes as a main character and publish them without the risk of being held responsible of any wrongdoing. Too many modern books using Sherlock Holmes as a character to mention. However, it is illegal to use Conan Doyle as a character in the book/story without the approval of family members of Conan Doyle.

2) When the copyright is not expired.

For example Hercule Poirot. No person could use Hercule Poirot as a character in the books/stories legally unless the copyright holder has given the right or comission to do so like Sophie Hannah’s continuation books. Otherwise, it is illegal for any individual to earn any monetary from the books/stories that use Hercule Poirot as a character. Note that, it is only illegal if you gain profit out of it. Hence, fans who write continuation books/stories for free reading are perfectly alright.

However, spoof, parody, pastiche, satire stories/books that use a character/characters that are still under copyright, are perfectly ok to be sold without having to ask the permission from the copyright holders provided the said characters are in totally different environment/setting or in different genres etc. For example Hercule Poirot as a child. Hercule Poirot is in love with a woman and the book tells the romance story.

These are what I have learned and maybe my understanding from the discussions is wrong. It is entirely my fault if what I write above is wrong. Not the discussions of those learned members of GAD in various sites.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

hmmm...interesting - so I could change the ages of my characters in 'Five Go Off In A Narrowboat' or 'The Mystery of Rawlins' Reach' so that the children are all aged 16+ and it would be okay...? :? So okay - my genre is the same as Enid's...but how does one decide when a genre is the same? The Famous Five never went on a narrowboat... ;-)

Thanks for the information, Sixret. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Return to Kirrin

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0773SK8NT/ ... TF8&btkr=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've just managed to read the first four chapters of the book which have been kindly made available as a kindle sample from amazon.

The book isn't quite what I imagined, but I won't say any more in case I spoil the plot for everyone else who may want to read and enjoy the amazon sample for themselves.

Regards

Pete

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

If you use the 'look inside' feature on paperback version, you can read many more chapters!

I like the style and the content. As a parody/grown-up Famous Five, its very well written and much, much better than the 'official' 'Famous Five For Adults'.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Suzy

Post by Suzy »

Oh, thank you, Rob. Remember the "Look Inside" feature is confusing as it misses out random pages which might be puzzling. The sample feature is better. We think it is much better than the Famous Five for Adults series (which we think people get tired of quickly) but we would say that, wouldn't we! We wanted to write something more satisfying, with mystery, romance, and a touch of political scandal, but keeping the Kirrin cousins true to their characters. They all learn something good, and grow and develop as people, by being back on the island in a difficult situation. They have their irritating moments, like all human beings, but it is written with affection and we can still love them all by the end! Once again, the island works its magic (as one reviewer said).
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

I don't think there is anything such as a copyright in a real person. So I could write a story about a real person without having to worry about copyright.

So lets say I wrote a story about how Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson met Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and got Doyle to publish Watson's memoirs. Holmes and Watson are now out of copyright. Doyle was never in copyright, because he is a real person.

If I were to defame a real person, then that person could sue me for defamation, or maybe their family could if they are dead.
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm not sure you could write about a real person, actually. That's why some books say that the characters are purely fictitious and don't refer to anyone etc. Otherwise the family of the person you're writing about, even if they have passed on, could sue you.

8)

Society Member