Faraway Tree Card Game released 1950

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
colettewalsh

Faraway Tree Card Game released 1950

Post by colettewalsh »

Hey guys!

I'm a History of Art and Design university student at Brighton University. As part of a module this semester I have to write a catalogue entry for a set of Faraway Tree game playing cards, released in 1950 by Pepys. The premise of the entry is to give some background to Blyton, the culture of 1950s children's toys and leisure and the legacy of Blyton's work. I thought it would be an interesting insight to add the experiences and perspectives of people who may have played with the game as children, or have some kind of connection/ memory of the game. What does the book mean to you? the game? do you have memories of your childhood in relation to the author/ game - especially if you were a primary school child in 1950.

Any responses would be SO helpful. I will make sure to credit you in the catalogue entry and you could PM me your email if you'd be interested in reading the finished product when it's complete.
The entry is due 16/03/18 so if you see this post after that date unfortunately I will have submitted it already.
Thanks a million in advance,
Colette x
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Re: Faraway Tree Card Game released 1950

Post by Nick »

I have some vague memories of playing this game in 70s at my Grandparents home. I say playing but I’m not sure my brother and I knew what we were doing so I doubt we played it correctly.

The cards must have belonged to my Dad, when we visited my Grandparents we stayed in his old room, and most the books and toys in there where his from the 50s. I specifically remember a lead farm set, a tea set and these cards, sitting in a caravan that they had stored at the side of their property and playing with my younger brother.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I have this card game and all the other Enid Blyton card games of the era - but of course none were bought new - only within the last ten years or so as a collector. I have also played the games, and they are all fun games to play - but never played them as a child unfortunately.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
colettewalsh

Post by colettewalsh »

that's still really interesting even if you didn't play with them as a child! What compels you to collect them? what appeals to you? and if you don't mind me asking - what age (roughly) are you and where (roughly) do you live? Because the set that i'm writing about are in a museum collection and a museum is essentially a big room of 'collections'
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I was only compelled to collect them because they are Enid Blyton related and I collect most Enid Blyton items, especially if they are from 1960 and before. They are also works of art, so that is another attraction. I live in the Midlands, Birmingham, UK, and I'm 47 years old, although I bought most of these games in my 30's.

I have played these card games with people usually older than me - parents, friends, and we have enjoyed them. I would say the Faraway Tree game is by far the best, as its quite clever and not only a game of chance but of skill.

Have you seen it in 'The Cave' on this website?

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... +Card+Game
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I had the card game in the 50s and used to play it with my 2 younger sisters. I had the Faraway Tree books first and loved them - well I still do actually! Like most of the people on here, I regularly reread my Blyton books as well as other authors which I enjoyed as a child.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member