Five Go on the Great Western Railway

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Five Go on the Great Western Railway

Post by Courtenay »

No use trying to argue with a pedantic railway fanatic, John BB... :wink:

Nigel, if it bothers you so much, why not write to GWR's advertising department and tell them exactly why their Famous Five campaign is all wrong? :D :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Not arguing, Courtenay, just getting a point across - it's all fiction anyway, as far as the FF is concerned. I certainly shan't lose any sleep over it. I did however consult my 1863 leather-bound Bradshaw's Handbook as used in Michael Portillo's 'Great British Railway Journeys' but Swanage didn't appear to be on the rail system at the time - however, Dorchester was! :D
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Boatbuilder wrote:Not arguing, Courtenay, just getting a point across - it's all fiction anyway, as far as the FF is concerned. I certainly shan't lose any sleep over it.
Well, me neither. I mean, if GWR (as in the modern train operating company) decides to use the Famous Five in their advertising campaign, of course they're going to portray the FF as travelling to GWR destinations, which they do. The ad designers may not even have been aware that Enid's favourite holiday destination, and the area most associated with inspiration for the FF, was the non-GWR Purbeck region. And that probably wouldn't have stopped them even if they were aware. They want to make money by promoting their own destinations, many of which happen to fit well with people's image of the Famous Five — nostalgic summer holidays and "adventures" in a sort of perfect idyllic world that resembles the West Country in general — so why not? :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Oh dear, a light-hearted remark from me that the Five couldn't travel directly from Paddington to Corfe/Swanage, on either the GWR or BR (WR) and it seems to be a race to have the last word! I am now apparently, a pedantic fanatic for just pointing out the fact that it can't be done!

Of course it doesn't matter, as Boatbuilder says. The FF are fiction and in any case, the GWR ads don't stipulate where the Five are going! The First Group is one of the worst train operating companies which constantly fails to deliver. Now they have the former SWT franchise as well as GWR, they have managed to destroy the services leaving Waterloo, with unprecedented numbers of cancellations and delays in the line's history. I am sure any possible inaccuracies in an advertising campaign are the least of their worries!

I'm off now to catch up on some lost sleep! :P
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote: Of course it doesn't matter, as Boatbuilder says. The FF are fiction and in any case, the GWR ads don't stipulate where the Five are going!
Some of them do — I was in Cornwall recently and several of the GWR ads at the stations featured real attractions accessible from the network, such as the Roman Baths at Bath (headed "Five Get Into Hot Water") and the Minack Theatre in Porthcurno ("Five Make a Scene").
Moonraker wrote: I'm off now to catch up on some lost sleep! :P
:mrgreen: :wink:
Society Member

pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you for your very informative and interesting posts on this topic Nigel - I always find you and Railcoach to be extremely knowledgeable about all things railway related.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Hear! Hear! I agree totally with what you say about Nigel and Railcoach, Pete. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member