Model of Kirrin Island

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Moonraker

Re: Kirrin Island

Post by Moonraker »

I don't know why there still seems to be uncertainty about Kirrin Island's location - Enid herself said it was based on a small island in the Channel Islands. The only similarity is a faint resemblance - and it is faint - of Kirrin Castle to Corfe Castle in Soper's illustrations. And Soper ain't Blyton.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Don't tell me you're going off her too now!! :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Not at all, dear friend. Only suggesting that it is down to Soper that a connection might be made. There is nothing in Blyton's work to suggest a link - in fact, Kirrin village/Bay/Island/Castle bears no resemblance to Corfe Castle - which is inland, anyway!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Trevor Bolton always tells me that Kirrin Island was based on a small island Enid saw in the Channel Islands. She told him this via one of the many many letters that she used to write to Trevor.

I guess as suggested, Eileen Soper when asked to illustrate Kirrin Castle, used the derelect Corfe, as a guidance, as I think they look slightly similar.

Kirrin Castle and Faynights castle illustrated by Eileen Soper look alike to me. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Francis wrote:Bodiam Castle would make a great place to live - you could always draw up the drawbridge if someone unpleasant comes along! Thanks for the link, Nigel - it sure beats Blue Peter.
Or hide in the priest hole- though it is a reasonably tight squeeze from memory.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Trevor Bolton always tells me that Kirrin Island was based on a small island Enid saw in the Channel Islands. She told him this via one of the many many letters that she used to write to Trevor.
Trevor actually sent me a copy of a letter in 2006 and I put it into Journal 31, but you may not have seen this letter Julie, as I don't think that you joined the Society until 2007. The letter wasn't actually sent to Trevor, but to the children that he taught who had all written letters to her and in answer to the usual question about Kirrin Island, Enid had this to say.

"It was an island I once visited several times when I was in Jersey – it lay off the coast & could only be reached either by boat or by a rocky path exposed when the tide was out. It had an old castle there and I longed to put the island & castle into a book. So I did, as you know!"

Anybody who has a copy of Journal 31 can see this in Enid's own handwriting.
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I did join in 2007, Tony, so sadly wouldn't have this Journal.

I have seen some of the letters that Enid wrote to Trevor, and a couple of them he has given me copies, but not the one you are describing. The copies of letters I have, are addressed from Green Hedges, and The Knoll House Hotel. But I always find Enid's writing very hard to read. Trevor has gone through them with me so I now know what they say. :)

He has told me what most of the letters are about, that is from the ones he still has, many he says he now doesn't have. :)

One story he told me sounded very sad, he watched some of Green Hedges being pulled down, but couldn't stop as it was so upsetting. I can well imagine this.

8)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Trevor Bolton always tells me that Kirrin Island was based on a small island Enid saw in the Channel Islands. She told him this via one of the many many letters that she used to write to Trevor.
Swatisaid. :|
I guess as suggested, Eileen Soper when asked to illustrate Kirrin Castle, used the derelect Corfe
To my knowledge (which isn't that great), Eileen never visited Corfe Castle.
Kirrin Castle and Faynights castle illustrated by Eileen Soper look alike to me.
And to me! Maybe Eileen didn't visit many ruined castles!
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
"It was an island I once visited several times when I was in Jersey – it lay off the coast & could only be reached either by boat or by a rocky path exposed when the tide was out. It had an old castle there and I longed to put the island & castle into a book. So I did, as you know!"
This sounds like a fairly distinctive place which must surely be well known on the island of Jersey. Anyone able to name it or provide a picture?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I googled it and there's a castle called Elizabeth Castle on an island near Jersey, its got a causeway at low tide or you can go by boat at high tide, wonder if that's it?

Ignoring the buildings below, the ruin itself looks quite Kirrin-ish!
http://www.britain-magazine.com/wp-cont ... Castle.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

You have to remember that Enid actually visited Jersey in the autumn of 1924 and no doubt things were very different then. The only time that she ever really mentioned this visit was in her 'From My Window' on November 5th 1924, when she wrote about visiting the lighthouse at La Corbiere. For those that are interested in what she had to say I have just put this into the Cave.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... &perid=149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Thanks Tony. La Corbiere sounds more like Demons Rocks to me than Kirrin.

Elizabeth Castle just might be the right place. After all how many places on Jersey can there be which match the description in Enid's letter to Trevor.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm quite surprised at the photo of Elizabeth castle - to me that's even less like my own personal image of Kirrin than Corfe is. It just proves that although Enid says she put this castle and island into a book, she was only really pandering to people's insistence that Kirrin was based on a real place...and I'm still 100% sure that Kirrin was an amalgamation of several castles and islands Enid had known.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

There are many little off shore islands around Jersey, I think that Enid had spotted one of these, and maybe saw a ruin of some sort on the island. An old fort or something, and her own imagination then turned it into Kirrin Island and she replaced the building with a ruined castle.

If you read Enid's letter kindly posted by Tony, she says it was an island off Jersey which she liked to visit and you could only get there by boat. Enid's own imagination I think did the rest.

8)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree with Julie that the Jersey island and castle probably only sowed a seed in Enid's mind, and that she wasn't trying to replicate them (or indeed any other island and castle) when she created Kirrin.

Enid's account of visiting the lighthouse is very atmospheric, with some striking pieces of description.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member