The Famous Five 3014 A.D.

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

The Famous Five 3014 A.D.

Post by pete9012S »

While the site was down I found myself wondering what the world would be like in one thousand years from now.
Will the Famous Five still be read,transmitted,projected or maybe even telepathically received by our consciousness?
(will that old thread we had here have reached its one millionth post? Whatever happened to that one??)

I originally posted it on my facebook page,but I wanted to really pose the question here on the forums.
How do you imagine the world a thousand years from now?
Will there still be a world?
What things will change and what things do you imagine will stay the same?? :D
Last edited by pete9012S on 22 Feb 2022, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: The Famous Five 3014 A.D.

Post by Lucky Star »

Humans will live on Mars or somewhere similar having completely destroyed Earth.

Love the Famous Five cartoon. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Children will still love Enid Blyton and she will still be banned by some teachers and librarians.
Mind you the Famous Five books will only contain one or two words originally written by Enid!
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

pete9012S wrote: How do you imagine the world a thousand years from now?
Will there still be a world?
What things will change and what things do you imagine will stay the same?? :D

You do realise that someone could write a thesis (at the very least) on those questions? :)

Most civilisations have a shelf-life; ancient Mesopotamia, Classical Greece, the Roman Empire, Byzantium, the British Empire etc. It seems unlikely to me that the current geopolitical situation would be the same. Hard to envisage a USA or a Russian Federation, say, unchanged, in their present formats. That's not to say there couldn't be a “Third American Republic”, for example.

There will always be ruling elites (the cream always rises to the top; as does scum). At best it is drawn from the public schools, or the trade unions, or the chattering classes. At worst it is from the Communist Party machine, a Junta, or a 'Putinesque' oligarchy. I can't envisage any change somehow!

Moving on to literature; although there are a limited number of works available from our ancient history and the dark ages, they tend to histories, philosophical and religious texts. The Iliad and The Odyssey are however great examples of how a gripping tale can still be appreciated millennia after their creation. Re-use of characters from history and folk-lore (such as Robin Hood, King Arthur, Sinbad etc) always seems popular with each generation re-inventing the stories to fit their own circumstances. For those who enjoy history, the real detail of a period can often be found in more domestic works (everything from Pepys' diaries to Larkrise to Candleford). So, maybe there could be a place for Enid Blyton in a thousand years time. Access to her works would be easy enough with the technology available now, so, barring a breakdown in civilisation, that shouldn't be a problem. What could be a problem however is the sheer volume of literature that one would assume will be available to the future reader. Blyton could be just one amongst many thousands of other writers available.

I don't see mankind (personkind?) living 'in space' in any great numbers, not in the period of the next millenium. We would have to massively step-up the distances we can travel. Nowhere even relatively close can sustain life. There might be more advanced space-stations than there are now but, for people to want to live on one for any length of time, they would have to be pretty good. Imagine being shut up in a giant leisure centre or on an oil-rig for years on end. How incredibly dull that would be. Only life-threatening necessity would ever make such a thing popular.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I don't think mankind will be around, they would have blown the earth up by then!!

And it will all start again! :|

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Like on Planet of the Apes?
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I know - in an Enid Blyton world of 3014, instead of the apes becoming the sentient species, it would be the dogs. Headed by new, even-more-super-intelligent versions of Timmy, Buster, Scamper, Loony, Lucky, and of course Bobs. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Going back a thousand years,I've tried to think of a few thing that were considered 'essentials' then to help determine what may possibly stay unchanged in 1000 years from now.

Back in 1014 A.D. there was a daily need for bread,milk,butter and eggs.
Going back 2000 years it seems to have been the same.

Would it be fair to say that in 1000 years time,although it is a long way off I admit,The Famous Five would still live in a world were bread,milk,butter and eggs were important food commodities??

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

You just reminded me of something, Pete, talking of essential foodstuffs. Here is a piece about the guy who first translated Hittite texts:

"In scanning the lines looking for something that would be associated with bread what does he find at the beginning of the second line but wa-a-tar. It fairly leaps out as virtually the English word water although Hrozný probably saw it as a cognate of the German word for water, wasser. This was the clue to Hrozný that Hittite belonged to the Indo-European language family. He found similarities of the words in the lines to other Indo-European languages and was able to translate the pair of lines as:

Now you will eat bread and drink water.

It must have been truly awesome for Hrozný to find the Hittites speaking to him after a span about three millenia.
"

How far we have come, and yet we are still recognisable.

Whenever I watch one of these rather bleak 70's and 80's series (Survivors, Triffids, Tripods etc.) I can't help feeling that - after whatever disaster takes place - how much more pleasant the resulting agricultural society could be. Naif I suppose.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

pete9012S wrote:Back in 1014 A.D. there was a daily need for bread,milk,butter and eggs.
Going back 2000 years it seems to have been the same.
Well as I have intolerances to bread, milk and have to limit my intake of eggs, I'm glad I won't be here in the year 3014, as no doubt pollution and genetically modifying foods will probably have made it virtually impossible for me to find anything to eat. :cry:
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

The method of bread-making that the supermarkets use disagrees with me too. Bread-cakes from my local bakery are fine. I got a bread-machine for £3 from the local auction room (a real bargain) and I'm fine with that too.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Although I generally eat gluten free bread, I do indulge in 'normal' bread from time to time. Recently I bought a packet of sandwiches from a supermarket, and couldn't believe the number of ingredients in them, most of which was in the bread alone. I have made bread in the past, and I think it just has flour, water, oil, yeast, sugar and salt. I suppose it could be made with a blend of different types of flour to give it a slightly different texture or taste, but that would only be an extra couple of ingredients.

I do wonder just how much of processed food is really necessary/good for us.
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

I know we are wildly off topic now but I guess that is how threads inevitably progress!

For the last four weeks I have been baking mad (thanks to Great British Bake-Off) and anything I have eaten at home has been home baked. Usually I put on 1 to 4 pounds in weight then lose it again, then put it on again etc. Since being on a good old fashioned hearty, home baked diet my weight has stabilised. I can only conclude it must be all the hidden sugars in processed food that adds the extra ounces.

Off the top of my head, the recipe I (think I) use for my bread machine bread is Allison's Strong Bread Flour, 15g Stork, 3/4 tsp quick bake yeast, tsp sugar, tsp salt, and a drop of water.
EDIT: 275 ML WATER (JUST ON THE OFF-CHANCE SOME TRIES TO USE THIS MIX!)
Last edited by burlingtonbertram on 05 Nov 2014, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes, I meant to put an apology to Pete for derailing his post, but I'm sure he won't mind (too much).

I too have noticed I put on weight much more easily when eating processed foods, I always assumed it was because I was eating wheat which I know doesn't really agree with me, I hadn't thought of the hidden sugar aspect. Maybe all the extra energy I use by cutting vegetables, stirring soups, and bending to take cakes out of the oven also helps. :D

Sounds like it's time for me to blow the dust off my recipe books.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Katharine wrote:Yes, I meant to put an apology to Pete for derailing his post, but I'm sure he won't mind (too much).
I don't mind at all! On this thread anything goes!!! :D :D :D

I wonder Katharine if the old fashioned way of making bread from many years ago,without all the additives and preservatives was better and healthier for us??

My daughter has to eat special 'free from' bread because of having allergies etc to flour and I'll tell you something you probably already know about all the 'alternative' foodstuffs we have to buy for her they're not cheap!!

The Hittite reference was interesting.I can't remember the exact verse,(Nigel will probably know) but isn't there a verse in the book of Revelation (written aprox 2000 years ago) that says something like 'don't harm the bread and olive oil' which I think refers to the inordinate cost of basic everyday foodstuffs in an unspecified future time period??

Society Member