Enid Blyton’s Fatty as Hero by Mark Wallace

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Enid Blyton’s Fatty as Hero by Mark Wallace

Post by pete9012S »

Enid Blyton’s Fatty as Hero
by Mark Wallace

Enid Blyton rarely bothered to characterize her creations in any but the most generic sense. Such a formulaic approach allowed her to write some 800 books over the course of her career. But even the strictest formula features occasional deviations, and Blyton occasionally presented characters who were somewhat sui generis in her canon. Belonging to this class is young Frederick Algernon Troteville, better known as Fatty, leader of the group known as the Five Find-Outers.........
Read the whole article here..

http://thevictoriansage.wordpress.com/2 ... y-as-hero/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Re: Enid Blyton’s Fatty as Hero by Mark Wallace

Post by deepeabee »

Oh dear! A few mistakes, me thinks.
This intriguing aside is the only clue to Fatty’s family life we get in the book, but it suggests both that Fatty is a neglected child, starved for attention, and that he is a Hero – one who has fulfilled every child’s great wish, to be father to himself, as Freud says somewhere (doesn’t he?).
No, he doesn't!
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Liam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Liam »

The Freud bit, you mean? I think he meant it tongue-in-cheek. The "psycho-babble" is a proverb "The child is father to the man" found in a Wordsworth poem.
deepeabee

Post by deepeabee »

Yes, I know that but there's no reason to mis quote Freud. The whole article is odd.
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Liam

Post by Liam »

I actually enjoyed the article very much. The author was just being frivolous, I felt, not misquoting Freud. I think he meant the reader to see humour in it.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes,I too enjoyed that article on Fatty.I wonder if its creator ever visits our site here??

Society Member
deepeabee

Post by deepeabee »

I've probably had a sense of humour failure. It's been one of those days! It takes its toll trying to get kids ready for GCSE! :(
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

I didn't see a lot in the article, considered either as being serious or as humorous. Seemed a bit like seeing shapes of deeply significant objects or symbols in clouds, or maybe in Rorschach ink-blots.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Oh, another point: the article said there were 18 Find-Outers books, not 15. Is this a mistake, or are there three obscure or recently-discovered books?
     Yes, I know there are two short stories; but that would make only 17, not 18; and also, they are not "books".

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Well Michael, don't forget Keith's continuation novel "The mystery of the stolen books", Robert's "The Mystery of the Disappearing Tramp" and Julie's "The Mystery of Hazel Dene Cottage" and "The Mystery of the Grey Heron". So the writer of this article is no longer up-to-date ;-)
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
MJE

Post by MJE »

Oh - I had thought the author of the article would likely be talking only about formally-published works by Blyton herself. If I'm not mistaken, while those other works are available on various web sites, none of them is formally published.
     Still, I can't think of any other extra works the author might have had in mind, so maybe it *is* those. I mainly wanted to make sure there weren't any Blyton works, perhaps newly discovered, that somehow I hadn't learned about - although I do believe I do hear about new discoveries most of the time (which is very, very seldom - I wonder if that new Mr. Tumpy book recently discovered has been published yet, or whether that is at least in the pipe-line).

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Liam

Post by Liam »

MJE wrote:     I didn't see a lot in the article, considered either as being serious or as humorous. Seemed a bit like seeing shapes of deeply significant objects or symbols in clouds, or maybe in Rorschach ink-blots.
I agree. That's a very good way of putting it. But I liked exactly that, that he should discern or attempt to discern mythic themes in it.

As for the humor bit: Well I suppose I did not take it to be profound, but with a grain of salt, and the jibe at psychoanalysis - that it's not a science and anything can be ascribed to it or be deduced from it - made me think the author was just having fun.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

pete9012S wrote:
Enid Blyton’s Fatty as Hero
by Mark Wallace

Enid Blyton rarely bothered to characterize her creations in any but the most generic sense. Such a formulaic approach allowed her to write some 800 books over the course of her career. But even the strictest formula features occasional deviations, and Blyton occasionally presented characters who were somewhat sui generis in her canon. Belonging to this class is young Frederick Algernon Troteville, better known as Fatty, leader of the group known as the Five Find-Outers.........
Read the whole article here..

http://thevictoriansage.wordpress.com/2 ... y-as-hero/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just re-read this article - some may not have come across it before.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Very interesting. Thanks for posting the link, Pete. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Interesting, thanks, Pete — although a bit odd and full of strange, rather affected blather that doesn't really tell us anything much. But then, since the blogger calls himself "The Victorian Sage", maybe that's just how he writes? :shock: (His "About" page doesn't tell us anything much either.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)