Exhibition at Seven Stories

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Exhibition at Seven Stories

Post by Poppy »

Thats the one, Tony. The article was certainly in our local newspaper as well, though. Ah - great - great! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Colette

Post by Colette »

7upromana01 wrote:That is not Timmy! Timmy lives inside the books! :D
A sentiment echoed almost word for word by a lady I spoke to at the exhibition yesterday! :D

Wow! It was amazing - I think half of me was enjoying it as I would have as a child (though also thinking 'Why wasn't there something like this when I was a child?' -- I really, REALLY wanted a go on that slippery slip) and then the other half as an adult - wondering if he PC-ing of Enid's work could be regarded as a negative thing: no, no we can't have two men sharing a bed..

All in all, a fantastic morning in an Enid Blyton bubble -- it was a bit of a shock going back into the 'real world'!

:D
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Glad you enjoyed yourself Colette! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Which bit were you most impressed with? :D :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Colette wrote:Wow! It was amazing - I think half of me was enjoying it as I would have as a child (though also thinking 'Why wasn't there something like this when I was a child?'...
As I walked round the exhibition, I kept thinking back to when I was about nine or ten. At that age I was intrigued by the woman who had written the books I loved so much, and was eager to know more about her. Back then it would have been a dream come true to visit an exhibition like the one at Seven Stories, and I would have learnt a great deal from it. As a young child I had no idea that Enid Blyton had been a teacher or that she was such a knowledgeable naturalist, or that she had enjoyed sketching and painting. Most of all I'd have been thrilled to discover that she had produced her own magazines and communicated so warmly with her readers, and that the family and pets in Bimbo and Topsy were based on Enid Blyton's own family and pets.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita, all your comments pretty much sum up how I feel about Enid Blyton. I hope very much I'll be able to visit the exhibition at Seven Stories at some point.
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

It certainly is a rather 'enchanting' feel as you walk round. To think how much you could learn there and how much history it holds is rather overwhelming. Some people will take forgranted the history and the information the exhibition holds because of internet and how much you can find out online, however, to learn it there in such a fascinating, magical place, I feel I am much more likely to remember more facts/info visiting the exhibition, than learning as much as I possibly could online.
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am not sure whether these are in the exhibition or not, but they are not in our Secret Passage. Enid's notes for Last Term at Malory Towers.

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Sorry, but I gave up reading that after the first sentence or so. I tried to transpose (?) it, but there were so many words I couldn't read, I gave up!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks for scanning the notes, Tony. I've seen them before, but they're interesting in that they contain references to characters and episodes which didn't make it to the published book (e.g. Juanita the spiteful Spanish girl, and Gwen and Amanda becoming friends). I believe a few people have commented that the existence of notes for some books shows that, contrary to what she said, Enid Blyton did plan out a story before writing it. However, the notes are very sketchy and some proposed plot elements weren't used at all while other ideas were modified, or introduced from scratch as she wrote. So it seems to me that Blyton had a basic framework in mind but didn't let it restrict her. I can well imagine her typing rapidly away, probably not even bothering to stop and consult her notes as the words of the story flowed from her mind.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

For Nigel:

Awful girl in 2nd form. Josephine. Comes from rich, uncultured home - Has too much money. Miss Grayling confiscates it. She steals. This is why the 2nd formers are watching for thief. Do not catch her - but she is scared - owes bill - decides to run away - & take with her another girl. Bravadao & cheek personified.

Magnet trick.

Noises up chimney in 6th form by June.

6th formers have own studies for 2, besides common room with wireless etc.

Spanish girl come to learn language too. Juanita - angry at having to come - refuses to be friends. Spiteful - hates Moira particularly. Looks down on everyone.

Also a girl from another school destroyed by fire. Brilliant athlete. Conceited. Disdainful. Says she is going in for next Olympic Games. Refuses to work. Gives Gwen & Maureen fearful time, & the 2 foreign girls. Disobeys orders. Swims out to sea disobediently, gets caught in current, is dashed against rocks & has her leg hurt. Finish to athletic career. She & Gwen both learn bitter lessons & become friends.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks for that, Anita. Uncultured was my first stumbling block, and that is where I gave up! Incidentally, I'm sure I'm not the only one to find the writing pretty indecipherable! :shock:
Society Member
Lawrie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find-Outers, Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy, Alicia, Fatty and Bets

Post by Lawrie »

Thanks Anita! I've just been struggling to read the notes and then scrawled down to see you've done it for me. Fascinating to see how the final book differs from the notes - I would love to have seen Gwen and Amanda buddying up. All I knew about Enid Blyton when I was a child was that bit at the end of the Blue Dragon Malory Towers and St Clares book about Marvellous Enid Blyton. "Enid Blyton could turn her hand to almost any form of writing" - I almost know it off by heart.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I was interested to see the notes, I'm grateful for the 'translation' as I don't have time at the moment to try and decipher the words.

I was surprised to see such notes though, as I too was under the impression that Enid just opened the flood gates of her mind and that the words poured out.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Just been thinking about this and I have a feeling that there were one or two more pages of notes for Last Term at Malory Towers in which Enid Blyton had planned that Gwen's father would die, Belinda would creep out to give money to her brother (who had lost his job) and Connie would slip down to have a look at an exam paper. None of these incidents actually made it into the book which indicates that, even if she did dash off a few sketchy notes, Enid Blyton simply went with the flow once she began writing. Some of the initial ideas for Last Term at Malory Towers may have been rejected because they were so similar to episodes from other Blyton books.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I could only read bits of the notes, so thanks Anita. I rather wish Juanita had been in the book, but I'm not sure I can see Amanda and Gwen as friends.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member