Audio Tape of the Books

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
MisterWu

Re: Audio Tape of the Books

Post by MisterWu »

Hi Adventure, 83! This is the dramatisation you are looking for, right?

Image Image
old layout (left), new layout (right)

Unfortunately I don't have it.
Adventure83

Post by Adventure83 »

yep the one on the left.
Minerva

Re: Audio Tapes of the Books

Post by Minerva »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I've only ever listened to one audio tape of an Enid Blyton story, and that was The Valley of Adventure. I think it was a 1980s version. It was spoilt for me by the squeakiness of some of the children's voices, and by the fact that one of my favourite parts of the story - the old couple in the caves - had been cut out altogether! However, I would like to hear of any audio tapes that you think are particularly good.

G'day Anita!

I've managed to download a reading of Valley of Adventure (in three parts) from the WWW. It may be better than the one you heard, although it is not a dramatisation.

Take a listen:

Links removed
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Adventure83 wrote:yep the one on the left.
Perhaps this link will fill the bill?

Link removed
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

jaygon wrote:Hi Anita,

I haven't actually digitised anything yet but I've been told it is as simple as hooking up the tape recorder to the computer and digitising the recording with some software.
G'day!

For some time I've been using ''Audacity'', a software programme available free from the net (make sure the version is capable of converting tapes to MP3). This can be used with both tapes and LP records - although I'm not aware of any Blyton stories recorded on vinyl (anyone?)

It's quite a straightforward process, so if anyone happens to have an audio cassette version of The River of Adventure, and can convert it via Audacity, perhaps we could all share it here (nudge, wink!!!)
MisterWu

Post by MisterWu »

Thank you, Minerva! I just listened to it and can confirm, that it is the episode from the dramatisations by Hodder Headline Audiobooks he was looking for!
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Minerva wrote: For some time I've been using ''Audacity'', a software programme available free from the net (make sure the version is capable of converting tapes to MP3). This can be used with both tapes and LP records - although I'm not aware of any Blyton stories recorded on vinyl (anyone?)
There were 4 Famous 5 stories on Vinyl and several secret 7. All were also produced as tapes at the same time
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
MisterWu

Post by MisterWu »

George@Kirrin:

THE FAMOUS FIVE
Image Image
Image Image
Harbour Records (Australia)

Harbour Records / EMI Listen For Pleasure

Double-Cassette "Five Are Together Again / Five On A Secret Trail" (from Bookassettes)

Phonogram (UK)

THE SECRET SEVEN
Image Image Image
Phonogram (UK)

Are these the vinyl records you wrote about?
I found out that they were published by Phonogram Records (UK) & Harbour Records (Australia) in 1979 [also available with different cover variation]. What's the title of the fourth Famous Five story on vinyl? Do you have a cover by chance?
Last edited by MisterWu on 03 Aug 2011, 16:49, edited 2 times in total.
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

MisterWu,

Yes, those are they. However there are 4 different covers as I think it's Treasure that has two different ones.

The other is Adventuring again oh and there's a South African one I have - Together Again, though that's still sealed...

I'll have to dig out the other and photograph it - it's got a yellow border...
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

I should be able to assist Tony - it's just a cast of emailing me constantly badgering me till I get it done!
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

That would be great Zoe as I know you have a fabulous collection. The audio section in the Cave should be having a main link soon, but at present you have to put things like 'tempo' into search. I could do with the rest of the Argo images as well - I have had to buy almost all the images that you can see as I had very little, but I am sure there is still a lot more that I haven't discovered yet! I am hoping that eventually it will be a really good record of what there is in the way of Blyton audio.
MisterWu

Post by MisterWu »

Many thanks for the picture you sent, George@Kirrin!! :D

I also had a picture of this record, but didn't know that it belongs to the same series of dramatizations, which were also published by Phonogram / Harbour Records. Well, actually I'm not sure whether "Five Are Together Again" & "Five On A Secret Trail" were also published by Phonogram (UK), since I only saw the records/cassettes from Harbour Records.

Since you owe the record from the South African label, could you be so kind and let me know the name of the label respectively the South African publisher? I'd also be very glad if you could send a photo from the other record cover with the yellow border ("Five Are Adventuring Again").

This is all the info I have on these productions:

"Five Have A Mystery To Solve" / "Five On A Secret Trail":
Dramatised with actors/actresses, sound effects etc.
Marketed by Phonogram 129 Park St., London W1
Produced by Barry Ainsworth for W.W.A.P. Ltd. (London)
(C) Darrell Waters Limited, 1975

"Five On A Secret Trail":
Script adapted from the original book by David Delve / Series directed by Ian Walker

I also added more pictures to my posting above.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

George@Kirrin wrote:I should be able to assist Tony - it's just a cast of emailing me constantly badgering me till I get it done!
We'll have to send along that very capable badger which rescued the children in the 1960s Five Have a Mystery to Solve film! :lol:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

What a lovely, quaint, old-fashioned word phonogram is! I had to Google it to find out its exact meaning! I see it has to have a continuous (spiral) groove, not sure a cassette has a groove? :shock:
Society Member
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

George@Kirrin wrote:There were 4 Famous 5 stories on Vinyl and several secret 7. All were also produced as tapes at the same time
Thanks George.

How do the readings on vinyl compare with later versions, in terms of creative presentation?